• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I've been wanting to make the dive into participating in shooting matches for a while now, but I'm really not sure where to start. I don't have a whole lot of familiarity with the different ranges in Indiana, so going through matches listed on the forum can be a bit confusing, as they use a lot of acronyms and abbreviations and I'm not always sure where the location is.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a match that would be a good place for a newbie to get started within a reasonable driving distance from Bloomington?

Maybe there would even be one where they wouldn't mind someone coming just to watch for the first time, and not actually participate? I'm also happy to be of help, if I can, at whatever match I would go to, but while I see some postings that mention they would like volunteer help, I'm not really sure if someone needs to have some kind of experience to help out, or if someone who doesn't know what they're doing would just get in the way.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt 22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Avon
    Steel Challenge is always a great place to start. There is a match at Riley Conservation Club in Terre Haute this Saturday. Everyone there is very welcoming to new shooters and willing to help get you started. I have attached links to the Steel Challenge web site and the match thread posted on here.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    Close to Bloomington would be Hoosier Hills (HHRP). They do a variety of different styles and seem like a really friendly group.

There are a couple other ranges in the southern part of IN. Look for South Cental (SCGC) and Silver Creek (SCCC).

If the west side of Indy isn’t too far for you, there’s Parabellum and Marion Co. F&G.

What kind of match are you looking for? Most on here are either Steel Challenge (SCSA) style or USPSA/IDPA style. I usually steer newbies to steel for their first match, but USPSA is good too if you’re comfortable carrying and have mags & carriers. I’m a fan of Rimfire Falling Steel, but I don’t know of any close to you.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    What kind of match are you looking for? Most on here are either Steel Challenge (SCSA) style or USPSA/IDPA style. I usually steer newbies to steel for their first match, but USPSA is good too if you’re comfortable carrying and have mags & carriers. I’m a fan of Rimfire Falling Steel, but I don’t know of any close to you.
    I'm honestly not sure. I'm completely new to matches; all shooting I've done has either been while hunting or just shooting paper targets on a range, and I have never so much as watched a match. The only thing I can really specify is that I'd like to get into handgun matches to start, but I honestly don't really know what the different types of matches mean. What are the key differences, from a newcomer's perspective, between SCSA and USPSA style matches?

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    I'm honestly not sure. I'm completely new to matches; all shooting I've done has either been while hunting or just shooting paper targets on a range, and I have never so much as watched a match. The only thing I can really specify is that I'd like to get into handgun matches to start, but I honestly don't really know what the different types of matches mean. What are the key differences, from a newcomer's perspective, between SCSA and USPSA style matches?
    you tube is your friend. 100s of videos of both types of matches

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    Close to Bloomington would be Hoosier Hills (HHRP). They do a variety of different styles and seem like a really friendly group.

There are a couple other ranges in the southern part of IN. Look for South Cental (SCGC) and Silver Creek (SCCC).

If the west side of Indy isn’t too far for you, there’s Parabellum and Marion Co. F&G.

SCCC is closed

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for HHRP and their steel challenge matches. AWESOME laid back people. Just let them know its your first and they'll help you along.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

As mentioned Silver Creek is closed.

South Central (SCGC) has USPSA the second weekend on the month. Steel Challenge is the fourth Saturday. Keep an eye out in the shooting sports forum.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As mentioned Silver Creek is closed.
    You wouldnt know it right off from their website or fb page. NOTHING on the web page indicating they closed. And only vague references to a last match, people asking if they found a new place, etc. Its like they not only walked away from the range never to touch it again, but also did the same for the online presence.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been wanting to make the dive into participating in shooting matches for a while now, but I'm really not sure where to start. I don't have a whole lot of familiarity with the different ranges in Indiana, so going through matches listed on the forum can be a bit confusing, as they use a lot of acronyms and abbreviations and I'm not always sure where the location is.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a match that would be a good place for a newbie to get started within a reasonable driving distance from Bloomington?

Maybe there would even be one where they wouldn't mind someone coming just to watch for the first time, and not actually participate? I'm also happy to be of help, if I can, at whatever match I would go to, but while I see some postings that mention they would like volunteer help, I'm not really sure if someone needs to have some kind of experience to help out, or if someone who doesn't know what they're doing would just get in the way.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Steel challenge. Hhrp, second and fourth Mondays at 6:00 p.m. This will be your closest and easiest intro to a sport.
    As others have said, watch some YouTube videos on steel challenge. Know your four rules and we will walk you through it.
    You can certainly come out and watch if you'd like but you'll be sorry if you didn't sign up and play.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @AndreusMaximus - create an account on PractiScore:

Many matches are listed there. You can search and find ranges in your area. You will find that some ranges have multiple accounts, one for each type of match.

I've never been to a local match anywhere that wasn't newbie friendly. Make sure you let them know you are new. Research the match type and have the correct gear. Plenty of videos on YouTube and most governing bodies have info on their web sites.

Best advice I got was just come and shoot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Steel Challenge is always a great place to start. There is a match at Riley Conservation Club in Terre Haute this Saturday. Everyone there is very welcoming to new shooters and willing to help get you started. I have attached links to the Steel Challenge web site and the match thread posted on here.

The simplest way to go for the OP is not overthink this whole thing. He should make plans to go watch this match. He will need to take eye pro and ear pro.

Lot to learn if you get to the match early and help with setup. Take gloves.

When OP first gets there, find the match director and introduce themself. Tell the MD you plan to watch and ask advice on who would be good to hang with through the match.

Everyone will tell the OP, "should have brought your gun to shoot with us." Just smile, say "next time" and ask a ton of questions.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    The simplest way to go for the OP is not overthink this whole thing. He should make plans to go watch this match. He will need to take eye pro and ear pro.

Lot to learn if you get to the match early and help with setup. Take gloves.

When OP first gets there, find the match director and introduce themself. Tell the MD you plan to watch and ask advice on who would be good to hang with through the match.

Everyone will tell the OP, "should have brought your gun to shoot with us." Just smile, say "next time" and ask a ton of questions.

Truth in this as well. OP will have to decide.
    BTW bwframe, been a long time since we've seen you!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Truth in this as well. OP will have to decide.
    BTW bwframe, been a long time since we've seen you!

I will see you guys again, my friend. Ammo, component and fuel prices have had me at bay. And all the other excuses... :rolleyes: I have not lost track though. I'll be back one day.

Top Bottom