• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Who can recommend and really good deer processor? i`m in west Indianapolis/Indiana, and am terribly frustrated with this mess of trying to find a good one.

I called a deer processor I really liked in Greenwood this morning to get their after-hours phone number in case I`d need to bring one in after their normal hours because deer rarely cooperate and come out early enough in the evening so that you can make the kill, track it, gut it and get it to them during normal business hours. Well, they've ceased having someone available to come take the deer for you, so I told them I can`t use them because I don`t have anywhere to hang a deer overnight.
    There is a well known, and apparently well liked processor in Putnam County that I`ve used a few times, but I`ve had issues with them in the past and am not ruling them out entirely, but would prefer to find someone else. I`m not crazy about my deer being frozen, then thawed before cutting up, among other concerns.
    There was a time when processors were open late into the evening during deer season to accommodate hunters, but this seems to be nearly nonexistent anymore. Several things go into whether a deer is fit to serve on your table, like how quick and clean the kill is, the proficiency of the hunter in field dressing, and of course, the processors handing and cutting and wrapping. The processor is an extremely important link in all of this, and I`m beyond frustrated with what is available. It seems like a processor is so small that when you pull up you see 20 deer carcasses stacked up in the parking lot waiting to be taken inside to be skinned and cooled down, or they`re so big that they have to add additional steps to their processing, and they`re unresponsive to customers concerns. I tried one smaller guy in Putnam County, and when I picked my deer up, he gave me half of what my meat should have been on a quickly killed deer with only a bolt punch through the lungs. Looked me square in the eye with a smirk on his face when I asked him if the one bag of meat was all there was, and he told me yes. I`ve deer hunted far too long to not have a really good idea of how much meat should be coming to me.
    Does anyone know a of a good, reliable, knowledgeable processor? I can go anywhere in Putnam county, and can travel farther if necessary. Full disclosure, I won`t go to the big processor in Mooresville, can`t use the Greenwood processor since they won`t take deer late anymore, and would highly prefer to not use the big processor in Bainbridge. I`ll be honest, this is the kind of thing that could well get me to just quit deer hunting. I put too much money, time and physical and emotional energy into deer hunting to settle for what I consider to be substandard customer service and/or, substandard processing knowledge and ability.

My wish list for the perfect processor would be late hours and/or the willingness to have an after hours drop-off of some sort. Big enough to be professional and competent, but not so big that it takes a month to get the deer back after it`s frozen and thawed. And if they did custom cuts, so much the better. Just asking, although I don`t expect any such processor actually exists.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Sorry I am in NWI so not of any help and the same thing is happening here all the smaller good shops are folding and the big shops aren’t good. So you know what they say…. If you want something done right gotta do it yourself.:thumbsup: That’s the route I took good luck to you in your search and season.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I usually de-bone and freeze my deer meat and take it to the processor later in the season so I'm more likely to get my own deer back or at least the weather is cold enough that other deer are not likely to spoil before they make it to the processor. Never had a problem with this process nor have I ever had it take more than a week or week and half to get my deer back even at busier times. However, all of my experience has been with processors 1.5-2 hours south of you.

I don't have a place to hang a deer either and if I don't have time to debone it myself, I buy ice to fill the chest cavity put another bag or two on top and secure a tarp over it on the back of my truck until I can skin it and get it to the processor. Works well as long as it is not extremely warm.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    If you want something done right gotta do it yourself.:thumbsup: That’s the route I took good luck to you in your search and season.
    and what he didn't mention, after you do all that, is what you'll pay for a good butcher and then specialties like sausage, etc.

It's why this year I have stopped shopping for processors and started shopping for stainless steel tables, meat grinders, etc. Probably going to pass on this season and try to be prepared for DiY next season.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    and what he didn't mention, after you do all that, is what you'll pay for a good butcher and then specialties like sausage, etc.

It's why this year I have stopped shopping for processors and started shopping for stainless steel tables, meat grinders, etc. Probably going to pass on this season and try to be prepared for DiY next season.
    Don’t pass up a whole season to be “ready” all you need is a knife and a gambrel will make life easier. The rest is just window dressing. If I’m feeling lazy I will seriously freeze an entire leg after skinning….. when ready to cook I thaw it and then into crock pot smoker etc. rural king has a stainless bandsaw I am eye balling….. my first couple I did with knife only over the seasons I have collected equipment a bit at a time as I find deals and needs. And if you have a hankering for specialty sausage take deboned meat into just about any butcher.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Probably going to pass on this season and try to be prepared for DiY next season.
    Don’t pass up a whole season to be “ready” ....
    ha, I should clarify. Pass on firearms season, to be ready by muzzleloader or late archery seasons :D

we moved a few months ago so still getting settled in and finding/organizing all my gear

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    ha, I should clarify. Pass on firearms season, to be ready by muzzleloader or late archery seasons :D

we moved a few months ago so still getting settled in and finding/organizing all my gear
    Ahhh ok. Just here for encouragement lol

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I had one of these for years and it worked great for deer shot on a Friday or Saturday evening when it was hot out side.
    Kept deer all weekend and took to processer when they opened Monday or even Tuesday.
    We still have a couple of their soft coolers that we use every time we go to grocery store.
    Their Gel stuff in 2 liter and 20 oz bottles is also really good.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    At one time a buddy and I skinned and processed our own deer, when I lived in the country. I no longer have that options, so...

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have used Bakers Camp in Bainbridge when I didn't have time to do my own. They have always done a good job.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I once put a deer in an old steel bathtub and covered it in ice, then covered the tub with a tarp.
    Kept it cold but not frozen for 3 days and minimal ice, until I had a chance to cut it up
    I didn't have the time to butcher, but also didn't want to pay for processing.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wish you luck finding a processor. I live in Noblesville, hunt in Attica and haul my deer to Maddie Moo's in Henry County. There are other processors, but it's really hard to go somewhere else when you find a good one. I used to use Archers in Fishers when they were around. Wish there was still someone decent that close.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Quarter it up and place in a huge Amazon cooler for 3 days full of ice water, draining daily. Then cut up…

Reactions: Mij

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I've used Bangel Deer Processing for years (formerly Ramsey Girlz). They're about 5 miles north of New Ross and definitely take deer afterhours. They're a small operation (maybe 200/year) but I've never had the smallest complaint about their work or service.
    Typically they hang the deer in a pole barn unless it's warm then the deer go in the refrigerator. The finished meat is frozen until you pick it up. They'll cut the deer as you want it with options like summer sausage and jerkey.
    Be advised they're not a fancy or high-end facility.

If you want to give them a try I would call first so they know you're coming or just call to learn more. Link below.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've used Bangel Deer Processing for years (formerly Ramsey Girlz). They're about 5 miles north of New Ross and definitely take deer afterhours. They're a small operation (maybe 200/year) but I've never had the smallest complaint about their work or service.
    Typically they hang the deer in a pole barn unless it's warm then the deer go in the refrigerator. The finished meat is frozen until you pick it up. They'll cut the deer as you want it with options like summer sausage and jerkey.
    Be advised they're not a fancy or high-end facility.

If you want to give them a try I would call first so they know you're coming or just call to learn more. Link below.

Thanks much, I may give them a try if I`m successful.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I wish you luck finding a processor. I live in Noblesville, hunt in Attica and haul my deer to Maddie Moo's in Henry County. There are other processors, but it's really hard to go somewhere else when you find a good one. I used to use Archers in Fishers when they were around. Wish there was still someone decent that close.
    +1 on Maddie Moos in Mechanicsburg (just south of Anderson). It's a bit of a drive, but you've got an excuse to swing by Belgian Horse Winery since you're in the neighborhood.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have processed deer for the last 12 years before retiring, we hated deer brought in already deboned in a cooler. Its slippery and hard to hold on to and hard to recognize the piece of meat after someone tried to save some money. preskined is ok but leave it whole.

Top Bottom