• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my current "non easy open" will not reset without breaking it open (read the thread and tried multiple times).
    It has the skeletonized hammer and cross bolt safety......no selector on the top of hammer.
    Not sure what exact model/vintage but owner's manual was dated '78.
    Will see if there's a difference with my "easy open" model.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Did read recently that there were some internal parts changes on the old models, so can't go by hammer/selector alone to determine what is what (since hammers can be switched). Whatever the changes were that allowed an easier reset........mine (at least my .22 mag handgun) aint got it :(

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Last year I tried a Taurus 627 Tracker 6.5in 357Mag with the ported vent rib barrel. I really liked the "Ribber Grips". I could not sight it in at 25 yards. It shot all 3 different types of ammo I had in stock about 10-12 inches high with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. I sold it.

My 12" 44Mag Contender with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo is what I'll be using for deer again this year.:)

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    I've carried a Super BH and Raging Bull and both were plenty accurate out to 40 yards offhand with iron sights. Are you shooting irons or did you scope the contender? I can see where glass would extend your range but they arent needed in the short range woods i hunt.

garrinmf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Muncie
    +1 for a SBH .357. Using iron sights I feel comfortable out to 35-40 yrds. Admittedly it's my backup to a scoped rifle but it's not let me down yet. I've used a .35 rem contender that could hit pie plates out to 200 yrds but I could never acquire and stick with the deer as well as with a scoped rifle. Dang deer never cooperated and stood still broadside for me either.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    My only contender bbl is 17 hmr that i mistakenly used on a squirrel. I am very impressed with the CvA scout 44 mag tho. It is scoped but still a great little shooter. 44 spl loaded light are as good as 22s but quieter.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I might fill a doe tag with my .357 if I get a new video camera.
    Not the ideal round, am only 1 for 1.
    Would like to try a double lung and see what happens.

I've killed 4 with my 357 Contender, only 1 didn't blow completely thru. That one stopped in the (then broken) far shoulder.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Some of my Contenders used to not have scopes but all but one do anymore. Most of my hunting revolvers do too. Has more to do with my bad eyesight than anything though.

Hookeye - I just tried mine to refresh my memory. All of mine are easy open frames. It really does not click as I said earlier. Cock the hammer and pull the trigger a let it down, should be touching the frame. Pull the trigger guard slowly and after the first little bit you will feel a hitch in the trigger guard. If you watch the hammer it will come back off the frame and be at the rebound position and the firing mechanism will be reset, release the trigger guard. Now I have to say, I usually just break it open and close, but the other mehtod does work on my guns and have read many other that use it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My .357 is a revolver.
    As were all the .44 mags I've used for deer.
    Did have a Contender one season, Super 14 in .35 Rem. Neat gun.
    But never saw any deer of size to use for testing.
    Did blast one with .35 Rem in Contender rifle (case shortened). Short trail, but expected shorter.

My pref is for wheelguns, iron sighted.
    Contender with red dot or scope looks OK IMHO.

Fave deer handgun is probably a 6" 629 Smith, regular bbl contour. Screamin' 180 or 200gr JHPs.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    300 Blackout AR pistol with Sig Arm Brace.

ba3yga9u.jpg

BUT....No one uses those kind of guns to hunt with! They have no sporting purpose!!!!

No need for purple...He knows I am being sarcastic....

Top Bottom