• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My wife would like a lower recoil light concealed carry gun. A 380 is, at this point, is too high of a recoil unless it has recoil reduction.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The absolute only .32 i'd trust my life to would be the Kel-Tec. That being said - I'd be doing my best to avoid ever being in a situation where I might have to rely on it. There are too many other options in .380 than to limit yourself to .25 or .32.

There have been countless discussions on INGO in regards to the .25. Taurus and Beretta are the primary makers of modern .25's. The primary usefulness of the .25 is that the non rimmed cartridge may feed more reliably than a .22LR.

Either is better in your pocket than a .45 in the safe - but do yourself a favor and do more research before carrying either.

Update - i was writing this while you replied. One thing to think about is that most modern .25's and .32's are very tiny guns producing very snappy recoil. However - one option is the Taurus Millenium in .32ACP. Not a target shooter by any means, but it's a modern DAO pistol with decent workmanship chambered in .32 ACP.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So it sounds like she is REALLY recoil-sensitive.

Well there are two basic ways to reduce felt-recoil. 1) find a smaller caliber 2) find a larger/heavier gun

What about a .22 revolver with CCI Stingers?

The .22 revolver is an excellent suggestion. Low recoil plus it should be very reliable.

Not to appear to be a fanboy since I posted a review yesterday, but I was very impressed by the low recoil of my wife's Walther PK380. Not the PPK. For the recoil sensitive or person with weak hands it might be an option.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The .22 revolver is an excellent suggestion. Low recoil plus it should be very reliable.

My first thought was to suggest a Walther P22 for the increased capacity, but then I figured that if she was recoil-sensitive, then she probably also wouldn't like racking the slide on an auto. Plus I don't find .22's to feed the best in autos.

With the wheel gun you still get 8 rounds.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My first thought was to suggest a Walther P22 for the increased capacity, but then I figured that if she was recoil-sensitive, then she probably also wouldn't like racking the slide on an auto. Plus I don't find .22's to feed the best in autos.

With the wheel gun you still get 8 rounds.

You also can fire again without having to possbly clear the gun if you run into a dead round.

At one time, I also thought my wife would have to go very small due to recoil. All it took was a larger framed 9mm and she hasn't looked back since. Now, she shoots decent charges thru her kahr CW9 and g19 all day. :D Looking back at it now, I truely think it was more a confidence issue than a recoil sensative issue for her.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My dad has a p22, which my wife shot, and loves. Is a 22 really a good self defense weapon? I had always thought that you needed something bigger then that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My dad has a p22, which my wife shot, and loves. Is a 22 really a good self defense weapon? I had always thought that you needed something bigger then that.

.22 is better then nothing. I agree with other posts and would advise against the .22 auto. Chance of reliability issues. An 8 or 9 shot .22 revolver is a viable option.

If she likes the P22, then take a minute to google Walther PK380.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is a 22 really a good self defense weapon? I had always thought that you needed something bigger then that.

Ideally you'd want something larger, but if your wife is recoil-sensitive then its better to have a manageable gun in her purse than an uncomfortable one in the safe.

In a primary carry gun I prefer 9mm or larger. In a backup role I like .380 or larger.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I consider a .22 LR as good as .25 Auto, and close to .32. The advantage is that with the price of .22, you an practice much more and cheaper.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    My first new handgun was a Beretta Tomcat in .32ACP. I really liked that little gun, and wish I'd never sold it. I carry larger calibers now, but could shoot the Tomcat quite well. I liked the tip-up barrel, and it felt solid in my hand, absorbing recoil nicely. If I were to buy a new one, I think I'd go for the stainless version.

I currently own, and frequently carry, an NAA Guardian in .32NAA (note that .32NAA is a very different caliber--I notice more recoil than with most .380 pistols, let alone a .32ACP). I really like this pistol, and in a new .32ACP might consider the somewhat smaller .32ACP version. But the Tomcat might be easier to shoot accurately.

.32ACP is a marginal cartridge for self-defense, I agree--but I disagree with posts in other locations that claim that it's "not a self-defense cartridge." It may not be an excellent cartridge for self-defense, but that doesn't mean that it's useless. It was actually a service caliber for some European police years ago.

Nevertheless, it's hard to justify carrying a .32 if it's possible to carry something larger. I suspect that the recoil of a larger .380 (not an LCP or a Kel-Tec P3AT) might be just as manageable as the recoil of a light .32 like the Kel-Tec P32.

Ultimately, though, for a novice shooter, I suspect a revolver might be the best choice. The recoil of the S&W Airweights (442/642) and the Ruger LCR might be too much--but if you tried a steel S&W like the 640, and loaded it with a light .38 Special rather than .357, the recoil should be reasonable. .38 isn't all that popular with some folks who insist on .40 or .45, but I think most of us would agree that with the right load it's a reasonable self-defense cartridge. Personally, I feel more comfortable with the reliability of a revolver. Although it IS possible to have malfunctions with a revolver, especially if it's been abused/improperly maintained or is very dirty, my personal experience is that malfunctions are orders of magnitude less common than is the case with pocket autos. :twocents::)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Beretta 3032 Tomcat. Open slide design ensures excellent ejection. The felt recoil is half of that of my LCP or Kahr P380. I have had one for 13 years and it has never failed to function. Also, for those with less strength, the tip up barrel negates the need to rack the slide. Eight rounds of 73 gr .32 FMJ trumps .22 LR to me.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    im picking up a naa 32 to gift to my wife when her ltch comes though. ill have a range report this sunday on what i think. ivee never shot one before so it will be new to me. also dont forget those same 22lr revolvers also come in 22 mag. a lot more zip with near same recoil. magnaporting also helps recoil in revolvers and futher serves in self defence up close as pressure vent in the case of a press on shot.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Thank you Koukalaka so much for your help. I would really like to get my wife to work up to at least a 380 if not a 9mm for her everyday carry. And I think a good starting point would be a 32acp based on what you wrote.

Top Bottom