Going to the Crown Point gun show??? STAY HOME!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    sounds like the show we had here a couple of weeks ago! we have another coming up the week after next but Ill stay home I think. I seen a few brolin arms SAS 12ga shotguns and all of them where well over $300..I paid $150 for mine several years ago so the next day I brought mine in{basically new less than a box of shells ran down the tubd and had 2 mags for it} thinkin I could get a good trade..noone wanted to give me over $150 it:rolleyes: prices on ammo and used guns where ridiculous!

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    What's happening to gun shows lately? Went to Holland Gun show in southern IN last weekend! No reloading dyes, powders,or .224 bullets to speak of. .223 Ammo was almost nowhere to be had [except WOLF]Did get there late on Sat. but selection was slim! Prices on weapons were more than a little high! Things are changing!!! Hope Evansville's Vanderburg Co. show is better next week!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    What's happening to gun shows lately? Went to Holland Gun show in southern IN last weekend! No reloading dyes, powders,or .224 bullets to speak of. .223 Ammo was almost nowhere to be had [except WOLF]Did get there late on Sat. but selection was slim! Prices on weapons were more than a little high! Things are changing!!! Hope Evansville's Vanderburg Co. show is better next week!

is the one here in Evansville next week? I thought it was the week after next at the Vanderburgh 4-H center..but thats just hear say as Ive not really looked it up yet. the one at the armory is usually pretty good but the one they just had sucked.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have been amazed at the lack of good stuff and the high prices at the shows here. I guess the sellers are trying to make the most money they can with those who have waited this long to arm themselves.

As a friend said to a man who was looking to buy ANY tactkical rifle he could find a few months ago: "You're like the guy who shows up at Home Depot during a Hurricane looking to buy plywood!!"

gdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Crown Point
    Went there yesterday morning and the line to get in was the longest I have ever seen it. Most items were over priced but there were a couple things that if I was buying I would of looked at closer, like the Hakim for $495.00 and the guy to the left at the entrance who had two Yugo Tokarevs for $279.00 each. I was going to pick up some ammo cans but at $10.00 each, I had to pass.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Seems to me that if there would have just been 1 smart dealer there with fair prices he would have sold out his entire table and walked away with a reasonable profit. Personally, I'd rather make 25% profit and sell my stuff than try to charge a 50% premium and not make the sale. You'd think that at least 1 of those dealers at the show could have figured that out? Or is there some sort of unspoken 'price fixing' that goes on at some shows where they don't undersell the show prices?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Hmmmmm I got up early to go to this show too... Guess I won't be going.

Thanks for the heads up guys saved me an hour there and an hour back.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My friend called me yesterday morning to warn me. he saw some guy pay $50 for a box of .380... buck a round. INSANE!

I was thinking of going today to sell some stuff, lol. I'll sell my .380 at 40 bucks a box :n00b:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Seems to me that if there would have just been 1 smart dealer there with fair prices he would have sold out his entire table and walked away with a reasonable profit. Personally, I'd rather make 25% profit and sell my stuff than try to charge a 50% premium and not make the sale. You'd think that at least 1 of those dealers at the show could have figured that out? Or is there some sort of unspoken 'price fixing' that goes on at some shows where they don't undersell the show prices?

You have hit an unspoken thing here! :) Having worked for a company during a gun show, that happens quite a bit. Dealers will go around and compare their pricing on stuff, then go back and either raise or lower (mostly raise) their pricing to just below the average of what they see. Its a strange thing to do and not necessarily in the best interest of the buyers indeed. You are already making money, but decide to make more. Can't tell me that isn't greed. You pay a set price for things and if one is an intelligent gun seller, they give it a markup they see neccessary to fulfill thier overhead AND make some profit. Guess these retailers haven't. :xmad:

On the otherhand, it gets repetitive to answer questions like "Do any better on this price?" on something already cheap to begin with (i.e. a 100 dollar Hi Point whose dealer cost is 80 bucks plus shipping). Some customers, while I understand they are trying to save a few bucks, dont seem to get it. A price on a low price gun is set and VERY little room to move. Also, the trick of saying, "well that table over there has em for cheaper" is crap, dont use it. You insult your and the seller's intelligence. Obviously, if you could get it cheaper there, you would have...:dunno: Do your research, it pays off in the end.

One thing is key in gunshows, however, cash is king. It saves the retailer money instead of having to face a credit charge, but also may make some smaller (read, flexible) retailers more interested in lowering a price. Also, dont offer a lowball (given current insane pricing) on an item that is in high demand. Dont want to pay out the nose for a popular item that has an artificial pricing increase? Then dont. Expecting dealers to come down in price on an AR or AK is insane thinking right now.

:twocents:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I don't want a great price. I want a FAIR price. I'm all about them making money.

I do have to admit. I do the "it's cheaper at Midwest" all the time to certain dealers. I just don't understand. I know what they are paying for these. And their markup is CRAZY. Especially now. Certain dealers are out to make as much money no matter what. I'm not the guy throwing a lowball price out there, I'm asking for a fair price.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I skipped out on the show this year for that very reason. A couple weeks ago I noticed the ammo counter at Meijer had been restocked. I wanted two boxes of .38 wwb. I found the employee with the key, he was with another customer who came over to the ammo cabinet. I waited patiently, the clerk proceeded to empty the entire cabinet into the guys cart. I asked if he would be willing to part with 2 boxes of .38. He said no, he can get double this price at the gun show.

That told me this is insane, no reason to go to the gun show.

The CP show has been overpriced for some time now though. $5 admission, then everything's more than all the local gun shops, more than the 1500 and a lot more than what I've found in classified ads. It's just not worth going anymore.

kgeb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Lake County
    I slept in i went to the last show and the prices were crazy even my wife made a comment about ammunition being overprived and she doesn't even buy ammo or guns

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have had the same experience with the Crown Point show several times. I went and drank beer and drove a golf cart around and occasionally tried to hit a ball with a club.

Top Bottom