• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Do a search for Ohio in the title and read any of the hundreds of threads on the topic. ;)

But quickly, if you do not have a carry license/permit they recognize (Indiana LTCH is not), you can only carry openly (not concealed).

For transporting in a vehicle, you would need to unload and stow it out of reach separate from ammo until you reach your destination and exit the vehicle (they consider the vehicle itself to be concealment).

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I believe their transport laws are similar to ours. So you should be able to unload your gun and put it in a case and keep your ammo separate. Beware of city ordinances though like Cincinnati where no handguns are allowed period.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me because I have been doing this quite a bit in the last year.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I believe their transport laws are similar to ours. So you should be able to unload your gun and put it in a case and keep your ammo separate. Beware of city ordinances though like Cincinnati where no handguns are allowed period.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me because I have been doing this quite a bit in the last year.

You're wrong on the city ordinances, Ohio has state preemption of local gun laws:

The Volokh Conspiracy » Ohio Supreme Court Upholds State Preemption of Local Gun Laws

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Also, remember to unload your mags. They consider a loaded mag a loaded gun, even if the gun & mags are in different parts of the car.

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like they changed the loaded mag rule:

From Handgunlaw (click on Ohio)

Sec. 2923.16. (K) (This law does not take effect until 3/27/13)
    (5)(a) [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]"Unloaded" means with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question and one of the following applies: [/FONT]
    [/FONT](i) [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question. [/FONT]
    [/FONT](ii) [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    unload lock it up and go on. Once you are settled into your hotel or whatnot. Reload and keep it inside your hotel room only. At least you will have some sort of defense.

scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Florida or Utah concealed carry permits both get you Ohio access. I am taking the Utha class in July at Gander Mountain, just for Ohio. There are a couple of great web sights out there that show what states take the Utah permit. I will take a look and post a link.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Florida or Utah concealed carry permits both get you Ohio access. I am taking the Utha class in July at Gander Mountain, just for Ohio. There are a couple of great web sights out there that show what states take the Utah permit. I will take a look and post a link.

Yep, this is why I got the Utah non-resident as well.

scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You have a year after the class to send in yyour application for the Utah Non-resident CC permit. You can take the class now and when your Indiana comes in, just send out the application. Just a suggestion, may speed up the process for you.

Top Bottom