• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Just found out my son is allergic to casein and gluten. Ugh, so off to whole foods we go today to find out some information and how to battle to situation. My wife, god help and lover her, read every food label in the house. basically everything in a box has these main ingreidients. So, packaged up and out the door. We all will have to join the diet with him or EPIC FAIL. I am not excited, but its not about me. After reading more it will take 6 months for the intestine to recover and before cross contamination will not be an issue. I will survive, at least I still have BACON.
    Rant off. thanks any advice welcome Bob

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just an fyi MOST bacon has gluten in it. It comes from the nitrides/nitrates (SP?) in the curing process.

My wife is gluten free, has been for several years. It much easier than it used to be, Kroger/Scotts in FTW has a ton of stuff that they didnt used to.

Get some books, read up on it. PM me if you have any questions or send me your email if you want some suggestions on eating out, what products we like, etc. Its really not as big of a thing as you think, but it will be more expensive so be prepared.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Grandaughter is suffering from the same ordeal. We have to avoid eggs, white and yoke as there is a difference, gluten, nuts of all variety, grapes, chocolate, and the real topper, Grass. She is allergic to basically all that is good on this earth. 3/4ths of my back yard is carpeted so she can play on her swing set. We but all of her food at the health food store and read every label just as you will do for a long time to come. You will eventually know what is good and what is not. All of those foods taste like a paper towel but you will find a way to enhance them. Pure organic Honey, maple syrup and massive amounts of fruit. Bacon is her favorite and some of the chicken/turkey based sausages. You will find a way. That you are all on the diet with him, I salute you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have no advice as I came from and married into a family with guts of steel. Only sympathy.

The good news is that you'll all be eating a little healthier since most gluten-foods in boxes are heavily processed with very little nutritional value. Making the food from scratch is better all around, gluten allergy or no.

A casein allergy would be the death of this household. Between the four of us we go through 6 or 7 gallons of milk a week.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    New GF has several allergies; eggs, mushrooms, soy, pepper (!), not sure about seafood; I have a whole list. She's cooked for me a few times and it's been great. I'm scared to cook for her, because I'm used to a whole palette of weird crap. The internet is your friend; there are all kinds of recipes for all kinds of limitations. You just have to do some searching. Time and patience. You'll be eating well. Just remember, you don't have to feel bad about not limiting yourself; if he understands I'm sure he won't mind. Just watch the cross-contmination.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    Been there...

We found out my son was allergic to wheat when he was 3 years old ... he's now 14. We've been doing the gluten-free thing for a long time, and have learned quite a bit along the way. My wife has done countless hours of research, tried a thousand different products, and has figured out a lot of different ways to make or buy pretty tasty food while staying gluten free.

I won't try to capture all that info here (would make for a really, really long post) - but I'd love to help you out. There are options out there that taste good and don't cost an arm/leg ... if you are interested in more info, or have questions we can help with shoot me a PM.

I know it is a tough transition to make ... but hang in there. It will work out better than you think. And +1 for jumping into the diet change with him... :yesway:

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My sympathies go out to your family. That is where I am as well. I have multiple allergies. For the past three months I have avoided the major food allergens - wheat, milk, soy, eggs, fish, nuts, shellfish. I also avoid preservatives and food additives as well as citrus and basically white foods (ie. sugar, potatoes, bread etc.)

I salute you for eating with your son. It will definitely make his journey easier. I do think you need to put the emphasis on the positive - find delicious, flavorful food choices. I do understand - it is NOT easy. There is a period of mourning as we learn to accept these drastic changes. I grew up on a dairy farm and I LOVE cheese. That has probably been the hardest thing for me to give up.

On the bacon front - look for uncured meats. I would guess that Whole Foods would carry a line of uncured lunch meats, sausages and bacon. They are expensive but can be found. I also have to be careful with the amount of fruits I consume due to the sugar/ carb issue.

I eat alot of brown rice and vegetables. Juicing is also a good option. I find breakfast to be the hardest meal for me.

The hardest things to deal with initially are the changes in the types of foods you purchase. I find that most things need to be made from scratch - that makes meal preparation take a little longer. I prefer not to use prepackages items but the convenience of them is no longer available to me. Many milk and wheat substitutions are soy based.

Ayway, I want to encourage you, not overwhelm. There are many good resources online and some really informative food blogs. One good site I use is livingwithout.com

Also, look for local support groups. There are many folks out there with good ideas, recipes and encouragement.

Glad to be of further assistance if I can. This is a hard transition for kids and teens.

BTW it is easier to stay on board when you start to feel better. It does take time though.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My wife, one son and one daughter all are allergic to gluten. Myself and my other daughter are not.

Curious - how old is your son? Does he seem behind growth wise? This is what first alerted my wife to him possibly having it.

My wife is actually working on starting a gluten free bakery. I don't know if it will ultimately happen but I have been telling her for a long time that she needed to start a gluten free restaurant. We can't just always say "someone should". When you see a need, fill it. That is how people become wealthy.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My son has problems with soy, corn, soy & corn products, and milk from cows that eat corn & soy.

He does better with cow's milk from grass-fed, pasture cows, and "rice milk" is pretty good.

I believe you can substitute oat for wheat in many recipes. You can also try buckwheat (though I think it is awful). Good luck!

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    My wife, one son and one daughter all are allergic to gluten. Myself and my other daughter are not.

Curious - how old is your son? Does he seem behind growth wise? This is what first alerted my wife to him possibly having it.

My wife is actually working on starting a gluten free bakery. I don't know if it will ultimately happen but I have been telling her for a long time that she needed to start a gluten free restaurant. We can't just always say "someone should". When you see a need, fill it. That is how people become wealthy.

My wonderful 4 y.o. son is autistic, well we will get an offical diagnosis on Friday. We first started to notice with the lactose intolerance as a babe and shame on us for not being more proactive to explore this further, but he had no other problems. I know excuses. So we eliminate food coloring and notice an improvement or a more consistent behavior. I think thats more of what sparked the allergy test. oh yeah the growth thing he is a monster, where he gets it beats me...

Top Bottom