• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    While listening to national public radio today I caught an interview with an author by name of Paul Barrett.
    His book "Glock the rise of America's gun" sounds like a complete history of the gun and the company.
    Just thought I would post this for the Glock lovers here on ingo.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "America's" gun?

He does not know about Gaston's rich heritage of the Sioux Indians? (prpl) Maybe he meant Australia. (more prpl) Has anyone heard the tale of Gaston searching for some material to use in a washing-machine agitator, and blending up the mix of the polymer used in his gun-frames? 'Twas in Guns 'N Ammo several years ago.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I have never fired a glock, but it seems to me like the extra button on the trigger could be pulled accidentally almost as easily as a regular trigger. what am I not understanding that makes this such a great safety feature?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have never fired a glock, but it seems to me like the extra button on the trigger could be pulled accidentally almost as easily as a regular trigger. what am I not understanding that makes this such a great safety feature?

You will really have to try one to answer your own question.

I can only tell you that the 'button' that you refer to is very light and the actual trigger pull is not.

And with every firearm there's a little rule (not a suggestion), keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I hear that chubbs! When I was on the lookout for my first handgun I wanted ordnance steel and wood. Then I shot a Glock 17. It has yet to fail me.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wish they had talked a little more on the internal safeties. They also make it sound like guns come from the factory with hair triggers. Overall, good story.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy

I thought the point of the trigger safety (or whatever it's technically called lol) was to prevent AD's caused by dropping?

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    ... And with every firearm there's a little rule (not a suggestion), keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

Keep your booger hook off it and it wont "accidentally" anything.

Well designed gear in good condition helps too. This guy didn't put his finger on the trigger. (In my opinion this was negligent, not accidental. Doubtless this incident has been discussed here before, still, he got himself in the hip - It's only a flesh wound ;) - and shot his wife's car.)

glock_01_thumb.jpg

glock_04.jpg

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I thought the point of the trigger safety (or whatever it's technically called lol) was to prevent AD's caused by dropping?

No, that's what the striker block is for. The trigger safety is designed to prevent accidental frictional forces on the side of the trigger (such as during holstering) from causing an AD. The Glock trigger was considered very light when first introduced. It was marketed as a replacement for DA/SA revolvers with typical heavy first trigger pulls.

Btw, it's a good book. I read it in two days, couldn't put it down. :)

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    No, that's what the striker block is for. The trigger safety is designed to prevent accidental frictional forces on the side of the trigger (such as during holstering) from causing an AD. The Glock trigger was considered very light when first introduced. It was marketed as a replacement for DA/SA revolvers with typical heavy first trigger pulls.

Btw, it's a good book. I read it in two days, couldn't put it down. :)

Oh, I figured the same as evsnova74. Just out of curiosity, do you know how light the first triggers were?

Last edited:

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    The book looks interesting but I am making my own book with stories behind the Glocks I own. :rockwoot:I will eventually pick it up to read.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Mr. Barrett, was recently featured on way-left "Democracy Now", recently, in conjunction with the event of Congresswoman Giffords leaving her post. He was very straight-forward, and factual, as the hosts tried to get him to admit, essentially, that it was the gun, not Laughner, that shot Giffords.

Watch both:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60PnBQiaV0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60PnBQiaV0[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpVFKFoBOsg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpVFKFoBOsg[/ame]

I've heard rumor that Barrett is very much in favor of limited-capacity magazines. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the fact. He never hints at that, during the interview.

As for the pictures posted earlier, of the guy who evidently tried to re-holster, while sitting in a car, and had a ND: It sure seems like the poster is trying to blame that on the Glock. Here in the real world, I think that guy would have "Grebner'd" himself with a cap-gun.

Top Bottom