• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    Does glock make a Compact 10mm in gen 4? Or is there just the g20 in gen 4. I have also looked at the 23 in gen 4.I have never owned a glock so you glock fans give me a little info. Should I go 40 or 10mm?

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I own a 10mm(not a glock). I also own a g17 and can tell you its pretty accurate and functions well never jammed.

As far as 10mm goes be prepared to pay some $$$$ for ammo. Some places dont even stock it. On a positive note you can reload these up to some pretty powerful loads from what I understand. Look into why the FBI dumped the 10mm on the net. (too powerful for them)
    I do want a g20 though. When I find a used 1 for a fair price I am gonna drop the hammer.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I got to shoot a friends Glock 20C yesterday at the range. Whatever vintage it was, it was not Gen 4. I can't remember accurately but am pretty sure the mag held either 13 or 14 rounds. The 10mm is definitely more stout than the 40S&W but is very manageable and shot quite accurately. I may get one myself when all this craziness dies down.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Does glock make a Compact 10mm in gen 4? Or is there just the g20 in gen 4. I have also looked at the 23 in gen 4.I have never owned a glock so you glock fans give me a little info. Should I go 40 or 10mm?

I was really hoping to get a 10mm G20 gen 4.

The problem is finding one. Find one for sale--anywhere. You can't. There are some blue label samples floating around, but they won't be released for wide distribution until April or so (source: Ed's public safety right next to Glock in Smyrna, GA).

There are no "compact" 10mm Glocks-- just the full size G20 and the subcompact G29. There's nothing like a G23 or G19 available in 10mm, which is rather unfortunate. A G23-sized 10mm would be awesome!

While I still like the idea of a 10mm, circumstances forced my hand and I went ahead and "settled" for a G35-- the longer barrel version of a G22. (plus lighter trigger).

My thinking is that the longer barrel will get a stout .40 round closer to the weaker 10mm range by adding another 100fps or so. You can still convert to .357 Sig also.

Bottom line: I felt like I couldn't wait for the Gen 4 10mm and I took the bird in the hand-- the .40.

A .40 is no slouch for personal defense. It won't put up the 700lb-ft figures of a hot 10mm load, but it's more than adequate for anything shy of hunting.

Look at the ballistic gel tests of TNoutdoors9 on Youtube-- you'd be surprised how little additional performance the extra bang of the 10mm really gets you.

JMO

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Get the G20 or G29 and get the LWD .40 barrel for it. Then you have the best of both worlds. That's what I have.

The 10mm is a great round, and not just because of having more power on tap, but because it is so versatile. It has a very wide range of loads available to it and can be used for self defense, target, and hunting.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That was my plan ^^. Woulda worked if I could have found a gen 4 G20.

Alas, it boiled down to gen 3 G20 or gen 4 G35. I decided that the newer grip and recoil spring (and other gen 4 features) mattered more to me than a couple more FPS going to 10mm.

IMO, the real argument for 10mm is the ability to shoot 200gr and heavier bullets.

H

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    10mm can be expensive, but not always. I picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady 155g XTP SD ammo for $22 a box on Monday. That's about what I pay for 9mm and less than .45. For carry in my Glock 20sf, I use Underwood 180g 1300fps ammo at $29 per box of 50. That's not much more than you would pay for commercial .45acp target ammo.

If you are getting into 10mm, think about reloading. It's a great round to reload for and the price comes way down when shooting reloads. Reloading adds a whole new dimension to the shooting sport, and will result in you being able to shoot at least twice as much for the same dollar.

If we would see a 10 round max enforced, a Glock 29 would make an excellent carry gun that packs a punch, yet still will not get you arrested. But, we are not there, so maybe rocking a Glock 20 is the way to go right now.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If we would see a 10 round max enforced, a Glock 29 would make an excellent carry gun that packs a punch, yet still will not get you arrested. But, we are not there, so maybe rocking a Glock 20 is the way to go right now.

I got one of the first G29s made and got it because I could have 11 rounds of a very powerful round in a compact package. It replaced a Star Firestar M43 9mm which I had carried for several years previously. This was in the middle of the AWB so 10 round was the magic number.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Love my G20! Got in on trade from another member (who has since bought , another:rockwoot:) Every time I take it to the range, people just stop and stare when I'm shooting it. Yes, it's THAT loud!

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I recently got a G20 on trade. Mine is a gen 3 with adjustable sights. The mags hold 15 rounds. I have only had it out to the range once. The thing is a beast but still very accurate. My wife even enjoyed shooting it.

Top Bottom