• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    It ain't warming, that's fer damn sure. There is snow. Accumulated snow on my property. In October.

I hear ya 88GT. Here in Brown County the snow flakes were so big they were knocking squirrels out of the trees. Ok maybe not, but it snowed really hard for a couple of hours and we're still having flurries.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's Bush's fault... Oh wait, we were talking about global warming. And it's BS!! And I would appreciate a little global warming right now anyway.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's not called global warming anymore (what with that inconvenient not getting any warmer thing). It's now [strike]global climate change[/strike] (which is, like, inevitable) no, not anymore, now it's global climate disruption. These people are so invested in anthropomorphic [whatever] they'll spin at 45rpm to try to keep it current. So now, basically whatever happens is bad, and it's our fault so we should feel bad and hand them our wallets.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...arbunga-erupting-largest-volcano-iceland.html

Expect it to get colder and for spring to come late.

Gas-spewing Icelandic volcano stuns scientists

Sulphur-rich eruption defies preparations for an ashy blast.
    For eight weeks, lava has been spurting out of a fissure in the ground radiating from the Bárðarbunga volcano, about 250 kilometres from Reykjavik. Sulphur dioxide has been spurting too — 35,000 tonnes of it a day, more than twice the amount spewing from all of Europe’s smokestacks.
    The record-setting amount of pollution has surprised even volcanologists in the middle of a major project funded by the European Union to understand the island’s fiery activity.

Sulphur spikes as high as 21,000 micrograms per cubic metre were measured last weekend in the town of Höfn; the World Health Organization recommends no more than 500 micrograms per cubic metre for a 10-minute exposure.

I posted much more information at the thread at the top of this post as to WHY this matters.

Gas-spewing Icelandic volcano stuns scientists : Nature News & Comment

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I hear ya 88GT. Here in Brown County the snow flakes were so big they were knocking squirrels out of the trees. Ok maybe not, but it snowed really hard for a couple of hours and we're still having flurries.

Nope, really was knocking squirrels out of tress.

attachment.php

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been having my offspring knocking the tamiasciurus hudsonicus out of the trees, but it's been lead poisoning. Just have to convince him to dispose the corpses. That could get yucky.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Oddly enough, it was the Republicans who coined the term global warming. Even more odd is that scientists were allowed to correct it to global climate change. Yet most oddly of all is that anyone doubts that it IS happening. What we are experiencing, say an out of time snowstorm, is called "Weather", say it with me now...."Weather."

I have never doubted that climate change was/is happening. I'm a geologist, an earth scientist; the study of climate (paleo and current) falls right into our wheelhouse, and at heart, I'm still a skeptic as to the causality. One cannot dispute that glaciers and ice caps are melting, that sea levels are rising. These are empirical observations to support global climate change that aren't debatable. They are beyond impeachable evidence. But what is causing it?

Sun activity, surely as I'm breathing, is a factor. Natural processes such as volcanism and methane release from ice, you'betcha. What about anthropogenic causes? (That'd be people) Water vapor, absolutely yes. Methane and CO2, not so much as you get from media sources, yet still enough to matter.

One thing I will say for certain is that while anthropogenic input of CO2 into the ecosystem is happening, the CO2 as the triggering mechanism argument holds no validity with me... chemically, the processes in the oceans as a sink for CO2 end up (if CO2 is so elevated as has been ranted on for a couple of decades) with the precipitation of Calcium Carbonate (aka Calcite, aka Limestone) at depth...and that isn't happening anywhere that we've looked.

However, one postulation I give some credit to is that we actually slowed the inevitable warming trend by putting sulfate/sulfite into the stratosphere/lower-mesosphere in abundance prior to the 1970s, when it was mandated that coal-fired anything had to have stack-scrubbers that removed the sulfurous particulate the was partially reflecting sunlight. Since that project worked so well we are now getting the full onslaught of the solar radiation that was previously reflected by the sulfur compounds.

In the end, it's purely ignorant to say global climate change isn't happening because an early weather cold snap happened; and to believe we've had no impact whatsoever even more so; we have, no matter how small. Ultimately its become a positive feedback loop, meaning it will continue until it reaches its thermodynamic endpoint. and then it will reverse and we'll go back to an ice age.

While You are warming up your flamethrowers take 15 minutes and listen to this guy, he has an idea that warrants discussion on how to slow the process while we study/figure out solutions. David Keith: A critical look at geoengineering against climate change | Talk Video | TED.com

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had a pretty decent dusting of snow here in Southern Indiana on Halloween 1993, and the following January, was when the big blizzard hit that shut Louisville down for several days.

We were in Lexington KY last night/early this morning at the Garth Brooks concert, and it was flurry'ing there around 2:30 AM.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oddly enough, it was the Republicans who coined the term global warming. Even more odd is that scientists were allowed to correct it to global climate change. Yet most oddly of all is that anyone doubts that it IS happening. What we are experiencing, say an out of time snowstorm, is called "Weather", say it with me now...."Weather."

I have never doubted that climate change was/is happening. I'm a geologist, an earth scientist; the study of climate (paleo and current) falls right into our wheelhouse, and at heart, I'm still a skeptic as to the causality. One cannot dispute that glaciers and ice caps are melting, that sea levels are rising. These are empirical observations to support global climate change that aren't debatable. They are beyond impeachable evidence. But what is causing it?

Sun activity, surely as I'm breathing, is a factor. Natural processes such as volcanism and methane release from ice, you'betcha. What about anthropogenic causes? (That'd be people) Water vapor, absolutely yes. Methane and CO2, not so much as you get from media sources, yet still enough to matter.

One thing I will say for certain is that while anthropogenic input of CO2 into the ecosystem is happening, the CO2 as the triggering mechanism argument holds no validity with me... chemically, the processes in the oceans as a sink for CO2 end up (if CO2 is so elevated as has been ranted on for a couple of decades) with the precipitation of Calcium Carbonate (aka Calcite, aka Limestone) at depth...and that isn't happening anywhere that we've looked.

However, one postulation I give some credit to is that we actually slowed the inevitable warming trend by putting sulfate/sulfite into the stratosphere/lower-mesosphere in abundance prior to the 1970s, when it was mandated that coal-fired anything had to have stack-scrubbers that removed the sulfurous particulate the was partially reflecting sunlight. Since that project worked so well we are now getting the full onslaught of the solar radiation that was previously reflected by the sulfur compounds.

In the end, it's purely ignorant to say global climate change isn't happening because an early weather cold snap happened; and to believe we've had no impact whatsoever even more so; we have, no matter how small. Ultimately its become a positive feedback loop, meaning it will continue until it reaches its thermodynamic endpoint. and then it will reverse and we'll go back to an ice age.

While You are warming up your flamethrowers take 15 minutes and listen to this guy, he has an idea that warrants discussion on how to slow the process while we study/figure out solutions. David Keith: A critical look at geoengineering against climate change | Talk Video | TED.com

Thing is, the AGW faithful are all on about CO2, as a greenhouse gas, but it's a real suck one. Glaciers may be melting, but that happens. There was one about 30m thick 15000 years ago where I sit at this moment. Whose fault is it that it isn't still here? Them Neanderthals out driving their SUVs and hunting the mastodons to extinction, I tells ya. We may have an effect, but keep in mind our CO2 emission is about 3-4% of the total. We're just a scratch on the surface of this planet.

Top Bottom