• ...and so much more!
  • Global Warming... Real or Hoax?

• Total voters

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, it's been expressed that Global Warming is a joke. Just my :twocents: I believe it's real to an extent. We are killing this planet. We're stripping Mother Nature of EVERYTHING she has to give us and we are starting to pay for it. We may be on the verge of another Ice Age, or we could be on the verge of a Mars like atmosphere. None of which will really matter if we get struck by an Asteroid... Either way...

Do you believe in Global Warming? If so, why? If not, why not? Keep in mind this is a very opinionated question unless you are an expert in Atmospheric Science or a Geographer. So with that said, don't get bent out of shape over opinions yall! :thumbsup:

Personally whether GW is real or not, it has inspired us all to starting thinking more environmentally. Solar and Wind power, alternitive fuel vehicles, planting more trees and foilage, learning to eat healthier, being more "trash conscience" by recycling more and more materials. LOL We were promised flying cars by the new millenium but I've yet to see anything close since 1940 something and 1960 something when them guys made Airplane Cars... Anyway, we are due for some type of serious calamity so thoughts on that too would be entertaining to say the least. So keep it cool, keep it clean, and let the debate begin!

:rockwoot::rockwoot::popcorn2::cheers:

(hey, it's better than arguing religion! hehehe)

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Just like anything else the earth has cycles. Every so many years you'll have an ice age and every so many years you'll have the opposite. You can only have a good thing for so long. Just like the economy cycle. Recession, depression, etc. Everything is a circle.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think it's naive to think that we're having no effect on our environment. That said, the Earth is a big girl and can look after herself better than we think. For example, a recent study has shown that rising global temperatures have caused explosive growth in vegetation. That excess vegetation will eventually help to remove some of the excess CO2 in the air. It's all a balance. One thing shifts and the rest of the system helps bring it back into equilibrium.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    There is global warming!

Because we are closer to the sun then we have been in recorded history.
    Because the earth's Axis tilts, and we're more upright than usual.
    Because everything is cyclic. This is NORMAL.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "global warming" has been renamed "global climate change".

Don't worry, I'm about as politically correct as Huckleberry Finn! LOL

I think you're right about cycles and nature balancing out. But what happens when certain species become extinct? Species vital to the balance of Nature? And what happens when we use up all the Natural Gas, Coal, and other Resources?

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I think it's naive to think that we're having no effect on our environment. That said, the Earth is a big girl and can look after herself better than we think. For example, a recent study has shown that rising global temperatures have caused explosive growth in vegetation. That excess vegetation will eventually help to remove some of the excess CO2 in the air. It's all a balance. One thing shifts and the rest of the system helps bring it back into equilibrium.
    I'm thinking that SavageEagle needs to watch the movie, BioDome. It might further explain this. :):

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I believe that we hoomans are taxing the earth a bit more than we did in the past. I agree with Scutter that the planet is pretty darn good at taking care of herself and balancing things out. Sure, we poor piddly hoomans might get wiped out in the process, but so did the dinosaurs. And what did they do to stop the ice age? While being more earth-conscious is probably a good thing, I don't think there's anything we can do to stop the cyclic nature of the Earth's "climate changes." The planet is going into menopause, and we're caught in the throes of her final PMS. ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    global-warming-underwear.jpg

:D

The earth does go through cycles... Pami asked what the dinosaurs did to stop the Ice Age, and of course, the answer is "nothing", but that's also the same thing they did to cause it.

So why is this such a big deal now? Because Al Gore wanted to get his name back in the public eye, and it worked. Because if people are all scared and worried about things they can't do a bloody thing to stop, they won't have the energy to do something about things they can. Because plain and simple, people are gullible. Pick an answer. There are many others; those are just the first three that came to mind. I hasten to add that no insult is intended to anyone here. The Big Lie theory is still in operation: Tell a lie enough times and people will start to consider it to be the truth.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    global-warming-underwear.jpg

:D

The earth does go through cycles... Pami asked what the dinosaurs did to stop the Ice Age, and of course, the answer is "nothing", but that's also the same thing they did to cause it.

So why is this such a big deal now? Because Al Gore wanted to get his name back in the public eye, and it worked. Because if people are all scared and worried about things they can't do a bloody thing to stop, they won't have the energy to do something about things they can. Because plain and simple, people are gullible. Pick an answer. There are many others; those are just the first three that came to mind. I hasten to add that no insult is intended to anyone here. The Big Lie theory is still in operation: Tell a lie enough times and people will start to consider it to be the truth.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

dangit.. I knew I was stuck in the 90s. ;)

Good post, Bill.

I remember a few months back on the way to work one day, we were listening to Glenn Beck or some similar talk program, and he was going on and on about the news of how the bees were dying off, and how "They" were saying it was causing such a crisis because bees are 80% of how cross-pollination happens, and it was going to cause this huge global food shortage because our bees in the US were just dying off in droves... yada yada. Remember that?

And I laughed (dripping with sarcasm) and told Lars, "Well of course they're dying because of the global warming, duh!" And no sooner had the words come out of my mouth, than the host said, "I can't believe all the Global Warming folks haven't jumped all over this yet!" :):

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Put me in the "climate change is real, but what is causing it, is still debatable" camp.

Note I did not say "global warming" because it isn't just that. The climate has always changed for various reasons and it will continue to do so.

That being said, I am all for a lot of things that are "green", just not all of them. Only the ones that make sense and not only don't hurt our economy, but may offer a lot of side benefits. I think being wasteful is well....... wasteful. But sometimes the other options aren't much better when you look at them closely.

In short I urge people to not be a mindless zombie for either side of the debate and to keep an open mind on the topic. Besides, everyone knows what happens to zombies around here. ;)

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is global warming!

Because we are closer to the sun then we have been in recorded history.
    Because the earth's Axis tilts, and we're more upright than usual.
    Because everything is cyclic. This is NORMAL.

I was watching a show on the Science channel (who normally loves to push the MMGW idea) that had a guy that has obtained some of the oldest ice core samples ever. He had a pretty good explination of climate change. I wouldn't call it cycles though as it is a pretty complex pattern. First everyone knows that the earth rotates on its axis and rotates around the sun. But it's axis also rotates around. That is called precession and takes 25,700 years to go around. The earth's orbit around the sun also changes from a circular orbit to a slightly elliptical one (this takes even longer). The whole idea he gave was that all these changes effect climate on earth. Sometimes they add to each other (warming), sometimes that take away from each other (cooling), and sometimes they can cancel each other out. Add in the changing activity of the sun and many other factors and predictions become quite hard to make.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    About 30 years ago there was predictions of global cooling, and how we were headed into a new Ice Age. There are some pretty funny quotes out there from so called experts back in the day. Do a search for global cooling and you will see some funny reports and conclusions drawn back then.

Basically, they have no real idea and are all blowing smoke with any real "prediction" in my opinion. The more some people talk the more they prove how little they know. There is not enough real, long, long term, data available for something as complex as the climate as of yet I would think.

Nothing wrong with trying, but do not put out guesses as fact.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think global warming is real, but how much is caused by humans is something to debate.

But, has anyone taken a look at the nasty air quality down here in SW Indiana? Let's build just one more nasty coal power plant so we can sell electricity to all kinds of states. Just look at the cancer rates, etc. down in this part of the state. I believe we have one of the highest concentrations of coal plants in the entire country.

And please don't use the "you use electricity so where do you think it comes from" argument with me. I'm not opposed to producing our own electricity, but we'll sell our souls for a few hundred jobs. I know we're sitting on coal down here, but why must we sacrifice our health to supply electricity for other states?:dunno:

Okay, I feel better now. Now that I've got a little boy, I want him to grow up healthy.

Let's go nuclear!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom