• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Dave......thanks for reminding me not to tally my cost in equipment and components.....

Sometimes it's best not to know. :D

You'd think I'd learn after watching esrice add up his total cost in his original AR build thread. But no, the alure of the spreadsheet sucked me in again!

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Sometimes it's best not to know. :D

You'd think I'd learn after watching esrice add up his total cost in his original AR build thread. But no, the alure of the spreadsheet sucked me in again!

Dave, you're an engineer-- it's in your DNA to do this.... :):

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Dave......thanks for reminding me not to tally my cost in equipment and components.....

Never ever add up equipment costs.

My rule of thumb is that money spent on durable stuff that helps me make more stuff is priceless. Then the only decision necessary is what level of quality can I afford at the time.

My goal in life is to die with several shops worth of stuff so that I have the capability to make almost anything I want, and having lived a long life happily doing just that.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Nice work on your post. My set up cost a total of around 550 with a Lee's single stage and a Lee's turret press. The Single stage press was a kit bought the 1st off the year and came with everything I need and the turret was bought a little over a month ago. I started out on the lower side of price and with the kit, dies, powder, bullets, primers and since I made my own tumbler my start up cost was less then 250.00. It helps if you save all your own brass to cut on the start up cost. Since then I add 308, 223, 9mm dies, and recieve a brass cleaner as a gift so my investment is higher now, but it is possable to start reloading on the low cost side. My goal now is to get a progressive reloader and will go on the high end of cost for one and pass on a Lee progessive loader.

Last edited:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I was thinking of doing a thread like this regarding my recent journey into reloading. But yours is MUCH better than anything I was thinking of doing.

I took the cheapest approach, rather than trying to reload the best possible ammo:

--borrowed a single stage old Lee press (FREE)
    --borrowed a RCBS powder thrower (FREE)
    --traded some brass for a scale (FREE)
    --Loading/charge data online (FREE)
    --actually purchased dies for $40
    --shells I get LEO friends to give me for free that they pick up at their ranges (FREE)
    --powder, bullets and primers I actually purchased!
    --for loading blocks, I use old 9mm plastic inserts from the 50 round boxes (FREE)
    --Bought a hand primer (about $30? maybe)

Total out of pocket equipment expense is less than $100. I've cranked through a few thousand in the last couple of months.

I'm on the fence about getting a progressive press; I rather like the single stage.

Anyway, OP, great post!!!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I was thinking of doing a thread like this regarding my recent journey into reloading. But yours is MUCH better than anything I was thinking of doing.

I took the cheapest approach, rather than trying to reload the best possible ammo:

--borrowed a single stage old Lee press (FREE)
    --borrowed a RCBS powder thrower (FREE)
    --traded some brass for a scale (FREE)
    --Loading/charge data online (FREE)
    --actually purchased dies for $40
    --shells I get LEO friends to give me for free that they pick up at their ranges (FREE)
    --powder, bullets and primers I actually purchased!
    --for loading blocks, I use old 9mm plastic inserts from the 50 round boxes (FREE)
    --Bought a hand primer (about $30? maybe)

Total out of pocket equipment expense is less than $100. I've cranked through a few thousand in the last couple of months.

I'm on the fence about getting a progressive press; I rather like the single stage.

Anyway, OP, great post!!!

Hemingway,

Thanks for your post! It's a great example that there are many different paths into reloading. You did some leg work and found some good deals and you got creative. Well done! :yesway:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    LMW...Everytime you or your kid does one of these reviews I know its going to be good! As usual a big THANKS for sharing! I after 40 years of guns always learn so much from you guys. I have not pulled my first official live round yet but have a lot of brass that prepped and cleaned and sized. I have watched endless hours of Youtube and asked hundreds of questions of many friends. I am getting closer to my first actual live round. This helps a lot to see that I still need some more stuff! Keep it coming!

Follow-up:
    ggglobert9, What is your reloading status now? Have you started making rounds yet? Any good learning points you want to share?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Dave, any updates for this thread? This year is the year. I may have to come back down and check your set up again. :)

Not yet. I've been doing most of my reloading on the single stage press as I make test rounds to test different powder amounts in rifles.

You are welcome anytime to come down and talk reloading. Bring something to shoot too!

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Fantastic work. I'm contemplating taking the dive into reloading, and your post is a help.

I started my spreadsheet yesterday before I read your post.... good to see there are other anal retentive types who approach every complicated issue the same way I do... with a spreadsheet.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I read this thread last year as I contemplated getting started in reloading, Dave. It was more than a little helpful.

As you have rightly said, there's a learning curve indeed. Because I know more than anyone else (Haha!), I chose to learn reloading on a progressive press -- a Dillon XL650. I've had my share of frustrations along the curve, including getting so mad that I slammed the handle down and broke the indexing ring. Oops. Thankfully, Dillon's lifetime guarantee covered that little faux pas.

Now, however, I have it pretty much dialed in and can crank out more ammo faster than my arm really enjoys. Funny how, the more of it I do, the fewer frustrations I experience. That said, were I to do it again, I think I should have started with a Square Deal B set up for 9mm and .45ACP, which is all I have loaded so far anyway. I'd have learned faster, and would probably have cranked out just as many rounds as I have with the 650.

One silver lining concerning the balance sheet: With the scarcity and inflated cost of ammo over the last several months, I may not have broken even yet, but I've gained a LOT more ground on it than if ammo had been plentiful and cheap! Plus, there's a measure of satisfaction in cranking out a batch of shiny reloads. I'm actually beginning to enjoy sorting and prepping brass, tinkering with various powder loads, etc. It's turning into a real hobby and not just a way to accumulate enough ammo to shoot and train with.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Plus, there's a measure of satisfaction in cranking out a batch of shiny reloads. I'm actually beginning to enjoy sorting and prepping brass, tinkering with various powder loads, etc.

Yeah, nothing like getting right to the heart of the gun culture's geek sector!:D

We are becoming one of THOSE GUYS.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    N8RV,
    Glad you're enjoying your reloading hobby. It can be gratifying for many reasons.

INGO members were very helpful to me when I was starting. I hope to be able to help others.

Here's a picture of what my bench looks like now. (Well, that's not entirely true. Right now it's a bit messier than this picture. :))

sl7ix4.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom