• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have had plenty of warning this was coming. So no real surprise. PM Thatcher told us many years ago about running out of other people's money. Hopefully our own pols will start paying attention. Or at least after just one more stimulus bill.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    We have had plenty of warning this was coming. So no real surprise. PM Thatcher told us many years ago about running out of other people's money. Hopefully our own pols will start paying attention. Or at least after just one more stimulus bill.

Greek experiment with the forced austerity measures did not work out too well. Although one must argur Greece was not an optimal candidate for the test.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With the GDP of Greece ranked somewhere near the 30th in the world, and their debt as I remember the numbers at about two days of spending by the US government, we could bail them out and not know we spent anything.

While they are a player in the Euro market, I am astounded that failure on their part would destroy the world economy, and did cause the loss of over $300 (points) in Wall Street!

Big Naughty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Hendricks County
    It seems like a race to the bottom between the Euro and US dollar. Luckily for us it seems like so much attention has been brought on Bernanke that he's scared to put the printer back on warp speed. We'll still suffer when the Euro tanks and banks default

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    With the GDP of Greece ranked somewhere near the 30th in the world, and their debt as I remember the numbers at about two days of spending by the US government, we could bail them out and not know we spent anything.

While they are a player in the Euro market, I am astounded that failure on their part would destroy the world economy, and did cause the loss of over $300 (points) in Wall Street!

Very similar to how Libya produced 2% of the worlds oil, yet prices skyrocketed when Libyas war started.

I think it was Job Stewart that had a chart showing the debt owed per capita, between the US and Greece. The US has a larger debt per capita than Greece does. Sure we have more people, and money, but this astounded me when i say that, and yet the state of the US isnt driving markets lower? All news outlets were saying "Eurozone" not "US"

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Very similar to how Libya produced 2% of the worlds oil, yet prices skyrocketed when Libyas war started.

I think it was Job Stewart that had a chart showing the debt owed per capita, between the US and Greece. The US has a larger debt per capita than Greece does. Sure we have more people, and money, but this astounded me when i say that, and yet the state of the US isnt driving markets lower? All news outlets were saying "Eurozone" not "US"

It is the world of derivatives that are responsible for this chaos.

The world fianncial system is deleveraged to the tilt much like the house of cards. One insignaficant piece will trigger the total collapse. However, I have a feeling the Feds and ECB will come to the rescue yet again. They will do everything in their power to keep the integrity of current financial system intact.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

If Greece starts to crumble and the EU doesn't bail them out, then it sets an example for the other PIIG nations. If investors hear that Greece is going to be permitted to default, crap could be hitting several industrial fans.

Top Bottom