• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Now that I am back on blood thinners for life I feel like sharing with everyone how I got through it the last time (2 years).

Below is a picture of the neatest stuff I have come across. It gives you the blast, the smell, the excitement but no recoil. It has a 10gr plastic projectile that leaves the barrel at 3400ft/sec. They say it is accurate out to 300m but I have kept my shooting to 100yds. At 100 yard it will flat out roll a possum or coon but I haven't tried it on a yote as of yet.

They come in boxes of 50 and 5 years ago I was buying them for $9/box. I see them for $16/box now but feel they could be had cheaper.

This is NATO 7.62x51 and the primers do requite the thicker milsurp firing pins to go boom. I tried them in a new .308 rifle and it was a disaster. If you have a failure to fire it is a major stress on the extractor to get the unfired round out of the chamber and the tiny thin firing pins will leave you with about 15-20% FTF. If it goes off the plastic shell extracts without difficulty. When you use the milsurp rifles I have had no problem with FTF.

Obviously the aim point changes between plastic and metal projectiles but it is easily dealt with with experience. This stuff is also great for indoor ranges as there is no lead to vaporize into the atmosphere and when the plastic projectiles hit they exert all their energy instantly. If you discharge one into the ground in the woods just a couple leaves move but it won't plow a trench showering soil like the real shells do.

So, if you have a converted Spanish Mauser, Argentinian 7.62x51, Ishapore 2A1 or any other milsurp rifle converted or otherwise cheap accurate fun shooting can be had at a fraction of the cost of traditional ammo. And if you are on blood thinners like I am there are no worries about what the shoulder will look like after having a little fun...
    1646047190110.png

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Good to read firsthand accounts of somebody using this type of ammo. I took a flyer and picked up 2,000 rounds of the 9mm version but haven't made it to the range to test them.

I've read that they won't cycle an auto feeding pistol, but are accurate to 50 ft.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I bought a case of the 9mm from Sportsman's Guide several years ago. It works great in my Glocks and S&W's. It won't cycle the slide though. I tried some in a 9mm S&W 547 revolver and the cylinder wouldn't close, so I couldn't fire it.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Really cool thread! What gets ejected from the rifle? Just that little base?

I've got an old box (80s) of French military training ammo that looks like that. Its 32 Auto, never tried it myself. I just had to buy it since I collect cartridges.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Where the neck looks shiny in the pic back gets ejected like a regular case would. The dull looking 10gr projectile is all that leaves the barrel at 3400f/sec. I was going to do some shooting and post some pics yesterday as the weather was perfect but I couldn't remember which safe I put my Ishapore 2A1 in...

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Hows you're barrel look? I've shot the training plastic rounds for 50 cal and it looked like a crayon went through it. But that was also high volume shooting.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Where the neck looks shiny in the pic back gets ejected like a regular case would. The dull looking 10gr projectile is all that leaves the barrel at 3400f/sec. I was going to do some shooting and post some pics yesterday as the weather was perfect but I couldn't remember which safe I put my Ishapore 2A1 in...
    #firstworldproblems

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Now that I am back on blood thinners for life I feel like sharing with everyone how I got through it the last time (2 years).

Below is a picture of the neatest stuff I have come across. It gives you the blast, the smell, the excitement but no recoil. It has a 10gr plastic projectile that leaves the barrel at 3400ft/sec. They say it is accurate out to 300m but I have kept my shooting to 100yds. At 100 yard it will flat out roll a possum or coon but I haven't tried it on a yote as of yet.

They come in boxes of 50 and 5 years ago I was buying them for $9/box. I see them for $16/box now but feel they could be had cheaper.

This is NATO 7.62x51 and the primers do requite the thicker milsurp firing pins to go boom. I tried them in a new .308 rifle and it was a disaster. If you have a failure to fire it is a major stress on the extractor to get the unfired round out of the chamber and the tiny thin firing pins will leave you with about 15-20% FTF. If it goes off the plastic shell extracts without difficulty. When you use the milsurp rifles I have had no problem with FTF.

Obviously the aim point changes between plastic and metal projectiles but it is easily dealt with with experience. This stuff is also great for indoor ranges as there is no lead to vaporize into the atmosphere and when the plastic projectiles hit they exert all their energy instantly. If you discharge one into the ground in the woods just a couple leaves move but it won't plow a trench showering soil like the real shells do.

So, if you have a converted Spanish Mauser, Argentinian 7.62x51, Ishapore 2A1 or any other milsurp rifle converted or otherwise cheap accurate fun shooting can be had at a fraction of the cost of traditional ammo. And if you are on blood thinners like I am there are no worries about what the shoulder will look like after having a little fun...
    View attachment 184706
    This ammo was designed as training ammo for HKs and you can get the companion training bolt that will cycle this stuff for about $150. It also works in PTR91s. There's a good MAC video on it on YT.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Hows you're barrel look? I've shot the training plastic rounds for 50 cal and it looked like a crayon went through it. But that was also high volume shooting.
    I use it mostly through an Ishapore 2A1 bot action rifle and have had no noticeable transfer of plastic in the barrel. I have also shot it through the Spanish Mausers that have been converted without problems. My brother is dying to try it through his M1a but I keep telling him it would not cycle the bolt.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a few boxes of the .308 flavor.
    As stated, they won't cycle the bolt in an AR10, but they are fun indeed.
    They are also incredibly LOUD!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That explains what I found at the range a few years ago.

View attachment 185466
    If you hit something solid like a concrete wall that 10gr projectile will flatten out to the size of a quarter and in the conical depression on the back of the projectile is a star. So if you find a plastic disc with a star and the very trailing ring still visible then you know what you have. Do not get in front of one of these things...

Top Bottom