• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Don't Get excited, it was a revolver and that's what the libs will want to limit you to own! This story could be spun to justify that a 5 shot revolver is all anyone needs and they only need it in the home, not outside of it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Grandma? She was 37. I guess somebody didn't read the article.
    Yeah I read it, just thought for some reason it was a Grandma. Would've been a better story if Grandma shot up the bad guy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of illustrative points here, although it would be nice to have more detail. A few general ones I think can be made from the sketchy details in the article.

1. 80% ish of people shot with handguns survive in the era of modern medicine.
    2. Shot placement counts. If you don't hit a vital structure, rapid incapacitation is not assured. The head is pretty hard - well designed to protect the brain. From the front, a handgun shot that does not enter the ocular window may not rapidly incapacitate. He got lucky with the neck shot. There are just so many vital structures there it makes me wonder about the ammunition performance.
    3. Ammunition performance. Even if you place a shot well, the bullet has to penetrate enough to damage a vital structure. Bullets that fail to penetrate adequately, glance off, etc. may not assure rapid incapacitation.
    4. Regardless of 2 and 3, in this case it worked. The guy decided to stop what he was doing - that's the goal. Fortunately in this case, in spite of a bit of a prior record, the perp doesn't seem, to be a hardened criminal with a warrior mindset, on drugs, etc. (i.e. "The guy's face down, crying.") and the .38 regardless of its barrel length and the ammunition used - was enough.
    5. Most intruders enter through a door. Fortifying one's doors is a good place to start when hardening your home. If it takes too long to breach the door, the perp may decide to go elsewhere.
    6. I'm not sure hiding was the best strategy here. Here's a guy who rings the doorbell a bunch of times. No one answers. He probably thinks no one is home, so decides to burglarize the home. If the door had been answered - safely - such as through an intercom system or simply talking through the door, he may have gone elsewhere. So, the perp may have accidently entered an occupied home (sounds like he went through the home like he didn't think anyone was there . . . until he got to the occupied closet. Ouch!). OTOH, the element of surprise worked well in mom's favor. Tough call.
    7. Hiding is a more effective strategy if one has a fortified room for a retreat. A closet or bedroom with a solid core door, reinforced jam, and deadbolt that locks from the inside can be a good start.
    8. Children should NEVER answer doors.
    9. You should NEVER answer your door unarmed. Period.
    10. Alarm systems are your friend.
    11. "Stay down or I'll shoot you again." - said the woman with the EMPTY revolver. Deception/bluffing in an acceptable self-defense tactic.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom