• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Im in the end stages of a backup power system for the house during outages. I’m finishing up my generator inlet and interlock on the breaker box. The generator arrives on June 8th. I think it has a 12 gallon gas tank. I was thinking of some other larger fuel tank to hold fuel for the generator, at least 30 gallons. I see some that have hand operated pumps and have wheels. They hold 30 gallons. I see larger ones on stands that do fuel transfer by gravity fed. Does anyone have suggestions on something good for home usage? I also considered 4 of the 5 gallon jerry cans. They make some nice quality ones.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Sorry, no pics. I built a rack out of 2x4s that stands in the front corner of the garage between the garage door rail and wall. It can hold up to Qty 8 5 gallon containers. It makes it easy to mark the container with the purchase date and then rotate as necessary.

Stabilizer added of course.

The problem I have ran into is no two gas containers manufacturers make them the same size. So I am stuck with what I have since it was made for a specific sized gas can. I went cheap, since fuel jugs are so inexplicably expensive, that was a mistake too. I wish I would have built it for a standard jerry can.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Five Wavian 20-liter gas cans here for dated storage, plus a couple of old red plastic cans for immediate use with mowers, snow blowers, etc. Use stabilizer but not sure I need to since I only buy the non-ethanol gas from CountryMark for storage.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Worth bringing back...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Did you / have you considered LP gas as the primary fuel source?

If you live in a neighborhood under control of a HOA, then I understand that it is a no go. But if not, LP completely eliminates the long term storage problem.

Converting gasoline engines to run on LP is easy. There are many companies on line that sell kits.

Reactions: Leo

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood

If you live in a neighborhood under control of a HOA, then I understand that it is a no go. But if not, LP completely eliminates the long term storage problem.

Converting gasoline engines to run on LP is easy. There are many companies on line that sell kits.
    Thanks. No HOA. But my generator is dual fuel. It’s not as efficient on propane. But they make propane tanks in medium sizes right? I doubt the propane hookup can reach up to 5 foot. So it would need to be a shorter tank or can they be laid horizontal?

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood

Found this linked below. Could load that into truck and get filled. Then put it in barn until needed. That might be easiest.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    That's cool, I've not seen anything like that before. I have a 20 ft. hose on my genny and run it off a 100 lb. tank. I need to find you the website where bought my kit.
    Mine is dual fuel so I can do gas or propane right out of the box. Thanks for recommending propane. Will that large container be okay in a covered but open sided barn type structure? It has concrete floor and one of the four sides is open to bring items in.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Mine is dual fuel so I can do gas or propane right out of the box. Thanks for recommending propane. Will that large container be okay in a covered but open sided barn type structure? It has concrete floor and one of the four sides is open to bring items in.
    Yes, that tank sits outside with no problem. If you can put a roof over it, all the better. Http://motorsnorkel.com/accessories/ has hoses & fittings to help you install your tank.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Looks like some even put a kit on their generator to run it off of natural gas. I have the Westinghouse Wgen9500DF.

wondering what the hookup outside of the house would look like to hook up the genny to natural gas from the house.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    55 gallon metal drums are good for gas storage, just get a hand crank pump and a grounding cable. Shib is the go to guy on stuff like this, over the years he's run plenty of experiments just living in the woods.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I will need a longer hose and also a POL fitting to hook up to the larger tank. You recommend 20ft?
    The length of hose depends on what works for your setup. There isn't a limit on length.

As to the topic of efficiency, I am happy to give up a small loss of power for the "fill it and forget it" convenience of LP.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Thanks. No HOA. But my generator is dual fuel. It’s not as efficient on propane. But they make propane tanks in medium sizes right? I doubt the propane hookup can reach up to 5 foot. So it would need to be a shorter tank or can they be laid horizontal?

My 2 cents - for what it’s worth.

I have a dual fuel generator also but do not ever plan on running it with gasoline. The crap gas we have today will gum up the carb on an engine that sits for long periods of time between uses. And gas will turn after several months even with additives - check the bottle.

Do you have natural gas to your house? You can also get various tank sizes from the local propane company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    My 2 cents - for what it’s worth.

I have a dual fuel generator also but do not ever plan on running it with gasoline. The crap gas we have today will gum up the carb on an engine that sits for long periods of time between uses. And gas will turn after several months even with additives - check the bottle.

Do you have natural gas to your house? You can also get various tank sizes from the local propane company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes to natural gas. Just grabbed the longer hose and pol fittings for the 100lb tank, as well as a new 100lb tank. So I’ll be set up decent for that. I’ll have the genny full of gas as well with stabilizer in it. I may also get 4 of the 5 gallon jerry cans and store them as well. Guessing those are okay in covered storage and set on some 2x4’s off the concrete. Just nice to have some small amount of gas just in case. It looks like the natural gas conversion kit requires some frame modification for my Westinghouse generator. What kind of hookup would you have to quickly connect to natural gas on your house to the generator?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I ran a natural gas line to the outside of my house to fuel a burner when we make maple syrup. Already have a natural gas conversion kit for the genny, so it will be a (hopefully) simple matter to hook it all up outside when necessary. It is not a quick connect, but requires a wrench. Guess I should test it...

Top Bottom