• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Yes to natural gas. Just grabbed the longer hose and pol fittings for the 100lb tank, as well as a new 100lb tank. So I’ll be set up decent for that. I’ll have the genny full of gas as well with stabilizer in it. I may also get 4 of the 5 gallon jerry cans and store them as well. Guessing those are okay in covered storage and set on some 2x4’s off the concrete. Just nice to have some small amount of gas just in case. It looks like the natural gas conversion kit requires some frame modification for my Westinghouse generator. What kind of hookup would you have to quickly connect to natural gas on your house to the generator?

I would install a valve before the quick connect.

If you go this route check a couple things: make sure the pressure you are getting at your gas meter is correct and the hose diameter is correct for the length of hose you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ran a natural gas line to the outside of my house to fuel a burner when we make maple syrup. Already have a natural gas conversion kit for the genny, so it will be a (hopefully) simple matter to hook it all up outside when necessary. It is not a quick connect, but requires a wrench. Guess I should test it...
    I have wondered about this. I have natural gas here also. Thought of running a line to the grill and making a quick connect of sorts for the generator.

Side note - My neighbors have a new generator. Don't know if it's auto on or not. Power went off for a couple hours this week. The neighbor's new generator is annoyingly loud. I hear it inside of my house, with the windows closed. :xmad:

As far as storage, I have the red safety cans and a couple of cheap "jerry cans." Both seal well, important to keep moisture out in storage and for transporting in a trunk or SUV.

The safety cans are a bit simpler to move around and wont fall over vs jerry cans needing secured. The jerry cans also have a stupid air tube welded into the spout that makes them a bit slower to fill.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Buy good gas cans. Churchmouse and others recommended ones from JEGS. I have 4. Will never buy something else that large. 1 gallon are different.

just get a way to empty them. Various pumps have been discussed.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My 2 cents - for what it’s worth.

I have a dual fuel generator also but do not ever plan on running it with gasoline. The crap gas we have today will gum up the carb on an engine that sits for long periods of time between uses. And gas will turn after several months even with additives - check the bottle.

Do you have natural gas to your house? You can also get various tank sizes from the local propane company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been buying and storing alcohol free gas from a local station for years now, i only use it for outdoor equipment, i can leave gas in my weedeater, and other outdoor equipment for months and they all fire up like you just put new gas in them. I used to use regular pump gas and the alcohol in it is the issue with gumming up and going bad!!!!!!

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Yes, that tank sits outside with no problem. If you can put a roof over it, all the better. Http://motorsnorkel.com/accessories/ has hoses & fittings to help you install your tank.
    Thanks for the link. I ordered a 12 foot hose with the regulator and fittings for the POL valve. It was $49 plus shipping. They already shipped it today. Should have it all ready for a trial run next Friday. 100lb Propane tank arrives Monday and genny on Tuesday. Priced propane at 1.09 per lb at a close place so that’s better than I expected. I’ll keep the genny filled with gas and have the propane ready for extended outages.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks for the link. I ordered a 12 foot hose with the regulator and fittings for the POL valve. It was $49 plus shipping. They already shipped it today. Should have it all ready for a trial run next Friday. 100lb Propane tank arrives Monday and genny on Tuesday. Priced propane at 1.09 per lb at a close place so that’s better than I expected. I’ll keep the genny filled with gas and have the propane ready for extended outages.
    This is good news! Those folks have served me well on a few occasions. Looks like you are well on your way to having a viable emergency setup. FWIW, I don't have gasoline in my genny but it is ready to run it if necessary. I keep a couple of 5 gal jugs of treated pump gas on hand and rotate it annually. I have started to keep a 5 gal jug of alcohol free fuel on hand just for the hand tools (chainsaws, string trimmers). Here's a pic of the genny just before I started using a 100 lb tank. Looking at this pic, I think I may be wrong on the 20' supply line.
    Generator6.jpg

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    This is good news! Those folks have served me well on a few occasions. Looks like you are well on your way to having a viable emergency setup. FWIW, I don't have gasoline in my genny but it is ready to run it if necessary. I keep a couple of 5 gal jugs of treated pump gas on hand and rotate it annually. I have started to keep a 5 gal jug of alcohol free fuel on hand just for the hand tools (chainsaws, string trimmers). Here's a pic of the genny just before I started using a 100 lb tank. Looking at this pic, I think I may be wrong on the 20' supply line.
    View attachment 142724
    Looks nice! You have the Reliance generator inlet as well. I got the PBN50. I saw it recommended in a YouTube video and I’m glad I spent the extra. Here is my inlet. I hate vinyl siding but I had to put a builders block behind it so it’s mounted solid.

Attachments

• 89716C6B-A046-44F4-9199-5A7C893AAB5E.jpeg
      89716C6B-A046-44F4-9199-5A7C893AAB5E.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 5

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Do NOT store gas in your genny!!!!! At least nothing w ethanol in it. You WILL have problems. Or perhaps mouse can tell you how often to run it do you won’t. (I think his are kept w gas??)

use propane to break in your genny (you know this needs to be done, right). If you want it ready to go at a moments notice, keep a 20 lb tank right w it.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    5 gallon gas cans and rotate it through your vehicle once every couple months. You will never have problem with it going bad and you will make yourself immune to ridiculous price spikes on holiday weekends.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looks like some even put a kit on their generator to run it off of natural gas. I have the Westinghouse Wgen9500DF.

wondering what the hookup outside of the house would look like to hook up the genny to natural gas from the house.
    I saw a 5300 for sale on fb marketplace. Those are nice gennys!

Top Bottom