• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    This last week I had a chance to visit the updated GM in Merrillville. Dam, they put a ton of money into that store. Their firearms inventory is crazy big now. Their prices for handguns were about right. Ammo, well that's another story. My son and I were in the Portage Wal Mart last week. We just happened to walk by the ammo section and there sat a lone box of Winchester PDX1 .40 for $19.95, 50 count. My son snatched that up. Then I was in Bass the next day, same ammo $26.95.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Yea I got my handgun from there a couple months ago. I got it for the same price Smith-Wesson had on their website for MSRP.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    It is nice to have such a large inventory of guns. I have noticed that some off the handgun prices are higher than Blythe's. Especially, on Glocks. I still shop around before dropping money. Gander seems to have the best price on 135 ct. clays!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well, I would say your experience has been different from mine.

I find their prices on both guns and ammo to be high.

Some of their gun staff are knowledgeable, while others not so much. I actually heard a young clerk telling a female patron to avoid polymer guns like GLOCKs because they are less accurate due to the flexing of the polymer. Poor girl was a victim already and she didn't even know it.

MadCHETNIK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    I've purchased two handguns from Gander and I've learned a few things in the process. 1) their prices are reasonable, 2) do your research before you go, some of the sales staff is limited on knowledge, 3) ammo was limited the last time i was there and finally 4) i wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, they are friendly and help you to the best of their ability.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I will say that they use to have a lot of trades, and reasonable pricing. They started a slide in both about 7-8 years ago. I had traded a couple, and bought a couple, but their pricing got stupid high. Used were actually more than new on many occasions. Their trade offering was in the toilet, GM became my" see what they have, but don't buy there store". Sometimes their sales staff needed a refresher course to the dollars approach. Don't get me wrong, it's a free country and I didn't have to buy there. After 25 yrs of shooting sports, I could see the score. My last purchase was in 2008. Shotgun bought off the discount table.

They do have a nicer display now, and dumped the fishing, and camping stuff, which also was overpriced. I saw a sale flyer recently, and had a few interesting items and fair pricing. Good luck.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    GM in M-Ville is really expensive. Been in there to browse a few times, now its just for laughs.

On another note, just went into Blythes in Griffith and they are butt deep in renovations, promising more inventory than ever. Good for them. They are surrounded by the big dogs, always been fair priced...still got my business.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    Gander is not the first place I would go to make a purchase. However, if it they have it at a reasonable price I have no problem buying from them. They are certainly overpriced on somethings and have some idiot employees. Many LGS have employees that think it is a hassle to work with a newb. Combine that with the in-crowd at LGS and the sometimes grimy appearance and it is no wonder people go to Gander.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Many LGS have employees that think it is a hassle to work with a newb. Combine that with the in-crowd at LGS and the sometimes grimy appearance and it is no wonder people go to Gander.

^^^ is why places like Gander Mountain stay open. It's not like the LGS is a huge national chain store that can get breaks on massive orders and ends up with a healthy profit margin from selling to a consumer who hasn't put the effort to find the best deal or help the local business, nor cares to do either.

My :twocents: on the LGS... A few years ago, the wife and I stopped in at Freddie Bear's in Tinley so I could browse. It was her first time in a "LGS", and this is what she said: "Why was it so dirty and nasty? Why wouldn't anyone help you?" I told her you're likely getting better prices so something has to suffer. Fresh paint and flashy carpet aren't free... You're also supporting a local business that can't afford to hire a full staff, so you take some lumps in the customer service section.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm miffed.

This is the first time I've ever heard *anyone* say Gander has reasonable prices, and I don't understand it. Gander prices are MSRP or higher.

Gander is a good place to look, but thats about it. They will occasionally have a decent sale price, and they occasionally have a great sale price. I remember buying a P22 for $250 on black friday 4 or 5 years ago, but those deals are few and far between.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    The one in Evansville just got redone as well, it was cool to see a bunch of surplus mausers on the shelves at a big retail store

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Yes, the clays are good priced. Forget everything else on prices though. Big selection, nice to be able to handle 12 different options in one store. The help? Worthless. You shoulda seen the guy when I tried to explain XD, XD subcompact and XDM magazines... :n00b: Not a single reloading component that I could find, and the employees (three different ones, the only ones I could find, all early twenties females) kept directing me to black powder sabots. :laugh:

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I agree mostly i buy from Blythes but a few weeks ago was in gander got an full size m&p9 for 450 thought it was a pretty good deal so snatched it up. 100 under msrp

Top Bottom