• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erictorp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    Has anyone used a Gander Mountain firearm protection plan (free) cleaning? I bought a used CZ75B and although I cleaned it, it was filthy, like it hadn't been cleaned often. Will they do a good deep cleaning, or is this a waste of time?

Also, does dropping parts in an ultrasonic cleaner do a good job, and if so, what fluid do you put in, Hoppes No 9?

erictorp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    I decided to go ahead and use the free cleaning at Gander Mountain, the sales guy talked me into buying the thing for the free cleaning, and I didn't want the $30 to go to waste. I go to the Greenwood store, took my number and waited to be helped, and after I was being helped, the sales guy I got didn't know what to do. I asked how long it would take to get the gun back, the next day, 3 days, what, he said we don't have any gun service or gunsmith at the store, we send them all to ILLINOIS. After someone who knew the procedure came to help, he said turnaround would be 7 to 10 days (the first guy told me 4 weeks !!). We'll see how they do.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I decided to go ahead and use the free cleaning at Gander Mountain, the sales guy talked me into buying the thing for the free cleaning, and I didn't want the $30 to go to waste. I go to the Greenwood store, took my number and waited to be helped, and after I was being helped, the sales guy I got didn't know what to do. I asked how long it would take to get the gun back, the next day, 3 days, what, he said we don't have any gun service or gunsmith at the store, we send them all to ILLINOIS. After someone who knew the procedure came to help, he said turnaround would be 7 to 10 days (the first guy told me 4 weeks !!). We'll see how they do.

You send your gun away just to be cleaned?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Should have just done a detail strip, given it a good soaking in almost any solvent, and brushed all the crud out. Reassemble and lube.

Best way to get to know your new gun! :ingo:

I would check it when you get it back, be sure they got all the parts back in...

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    They ship it out ...... Really ?????? Seems like a scam. I mean who would want to do that. I'm surprised they didn't inform you about that.

Dagoney22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NWI-Merrillville
    The cleaning via the pro-plan coupon is done in store. The cleaning job that is sent out is the "clean and check" because the gun needs to be test fired. Both the indy stores went from 40 employees to over 100 each. I would make sure you get in touch with someone who knows what they are talking about before you make any decisions.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    The whole point of the protection plan is to keep the consumer from having to deal with the manufacturer. If you shipped your firearm anywhere insured it would cost more then $30. Most Ganders have qualified gun techs that do an excellent job. I'm pretty sure greenwood and castleton are in the process of hiring new techs with the pickup of business. Locations without an onsite gun tech ship the firearm to Springfield Illinois. I suggest cleaning your gun yourself, and sending the dirtiest oldest gun for the free Gander cleaning when they hire a new tech.

FYI the Pro Plan is good the lifetime of the manufactures warranty plus 1 year. Definitely worth it with guns like Springfield that have lifetime warranties.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gun owners should really be able to clean their own guns. They are not that complicated. Most parts only fit one way so with some careful examination prior to stripping, maybe some pictures, and an exploded view it should go well for you.

After the first few times, you will be able to strip and re-assemble your firearm blindfolded.

Yes, even a MKII Ruger.:)

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I thought the Gander on the southside got rid of their gunsmith and where trying to centrally locate all of their gunsmiths. Hince the reason they have to send it out, what I did not know was that it was in Illinois.

KDW77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Gander is a big rip off .I would not recommend them to any body for gun smithing,or anything else that deals with a gun .

erictorp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    I just had a moment of weakness when I bought that protection plan. I've only had one problem with a new gun, my PMR30 had the breech of the barrel chipped by the extractor the first time I shot it. I was too paranoid to ship the gun back so I called and spoke with a gunsmith at Keltec and just sent him the barrel, and got a new barrel with a nice polished feed ramp in about 10 days.

I think I bought the protection plan because the Gander guy said "You also get a free cleaning, a really good cleaning, that you can use on any gun". I do clean my guns every time I shoot them, but the CZ was so dirty when I bought it I wanted to drop the whole thing in an ultrasonic cleaner. I gave it a good cleaning, but I didn't want to disassemble the firing pin and trigger, and those looked like they needed cleaning too.

GlockRyan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Terre Haute

When you go to get your oil changed in your vehicle, do they sell you on getting your headlight fluid changed too? :)

Top Bottom