• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • egmiterek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2022
    Indiana
    So I built a galil sar awhile ago and at first it had failure to feed every 20 rounds or so because the cases didn't eject. Had to use a ak cleaning rod and ram the case out every time it happened. Thought it was a weak ejector spring so I changed it and it got worse. Failed to feed after every other round. Tried using different ammo ended up with the same problem. I read something on another forum talking about the chamber being too tight, but how would I go about polishing it up?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    So I built a galil sar awhile ago and at first it had failure to feed every 20 rounds or so because the cases didn't eject. Had to use a ak cleaning rod and ram the case out every time it happened. Thought it was a weak ejector spring so I changed it and it got worse. Failed to feed after every other round. Tried using different ammo ended up with the same problem. I read something on another forum talking about the chamber being too tight, but how would I go about polishing it up?
    What kind of ammo?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    If the case is getting stuck in the chamber, my first suggestion is clean the chamber GOOD. Meaning, solvent and brush. You may have funk in there you can't see that is causing the case to "stick."

If the case is swelling, that's a whole other issue.

Start simple. Go from there.

egmiterek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2022
    Indiana
    If the case is getting stuck in the chamber, my first suggestion is clean the chamber GOOD. Meaning, solvent and brush. You may have funk in there you can't see that is causing the case to "stick."

If the case is swelling, that's a whole other issue.

Start simple. Go from there.
    yeah the cases are swelling, I can eject the rounds no problem manually but once I shoot the cases gets stuck.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    yeah the cases are swelling, I can eject the rounds no problem manually but once I shoot the cases gets stuck.
    Clean the chamber and remove the oil. Don't oil the chamber. See if that fixes it.

If the cases are swelling, and getting stuck, then the chamber might....MIGHT....be cut too large. Or, could be oblong...

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I had a customer with an SKS have this problem before. This is how we fixed it. I’ve asked him since and he says that the malfunctions stopped after we polished his chamber using this method.
    0737D73B-1E12-456B-9519-D3B435C75008.jpeg
    All this is assuming that an imperfect chamber is the real problem.

egmiterek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2022
    Indiana
    Clean the chamber and remove the oil. Don't oil the chamber. See if that fixes it.

If the cases are swelling, and getting stuck, then the chamber might....MIGHT....be cut too large. Or, could be oblong...
    do you mean like the cases are bulging?
    I had a customer with an SKS have this problem before. This is how we fixed it. I’ve asked him since and he says that the malfunctions stopped after we polished his chamber using this method.
    View attachment 210917
    All this is assuming that an imperfect chamber is the real problem.
    Seems like a good solution I'll try it out. Thanks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you post pics of the spent cases - that may help. I'd do that and get more diagnosis before I go at it with lapping compound and power tools.

Now, I know that lapping compound isn't horribly abrasive - but there's still a good chance of doing actual damage if the problem lies elsewhere.

I didn't have a Galil, but I did have an AK-74m at one point in time (pre Sandy Hook). It would fire well enough - but the ejected cases looked like they'd been run over they were so marred up.

A closer look at the chamber told me all I needed to know - it was bad. Not horrible - but bad. Manufacturer put a new barrel on it.

I digress. Post pics of the cases, someone may be able to determine more of the actual problem.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I had that same issue with a Century Golani Sporter. I used steel wool on a cleaning rod/brush and slow speed on a cordless drill to clean the area. Seemed to fix the problem after that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had that same issue with a Century Golani Sporter. I used steel wool on a cleaning rod/brush and slow speed on a cordless drill to clean the area. Seemed to fix the problem after that.
    AR doing same thing. New build.
    Chamber brush on cordless drill.
    Worked the chamber then did a fresh brush and oil. Visual showed it had cleaned it up significantly. Gun ran fine after that.
    Do this 1st as has been mentioned already. If it takes car of the problem have at it. If not I would use a set of vernier calipers and measure the cases before (fresh) and after (fired) and see if swelling up in a poorly machined chamber is the issue.
    Clean 1st.

Top Bottom