• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If you have ever read a Glock manual it tells you it is actually a lubricant and to leave it in place.

They tell you to only run a patch through the barrel.
    My bad! No never read one, never owned a Glock and likely never will.

Interesting that Glock says to leave it there. Most corrosion inhibitors are not primarily lubricants and get very gummy over time.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My bad! No never read one, never owned a Glock and likely never will.

Interesting that Glock says to leave it there. Most corrosion inhibitors are not primarily lubricants and get very gummy over time.
    It is a grease with copper in it, and maybe zinc I don't remember exactly.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    OK, I see my disconnect. The copper anti-seize is meant to be left on the slide rails until broken in.
    The barrel and internals should be cleaned of factory coatings though.
    1647030647888.png 1647030960380.png

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    OK, I see my disconnect. The copper anti-seize is meant to be left on the slide rails until broken in.
    The barrel and internals should be cleaned of factory coatings though.
    View attachment 187472 View attachment 187476
    The only thing needing cleaned before firing is the bore to remove any oils. There is nothing that says to strip factory coatings off of internals.

dan1856

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2017
    Fishers
    The picture is blurry but check the headstamps. Are they all the same? If they are different that would tell you someone used the box to put their reloads in.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why do folks do this? Every owners manual I've ever read, the first thing it says is to clean it to remove the factory corrosion inhibitors from it then lubricate all contacting parts. Those anti-corrosion compounds are not really lubricants.

There is usually even a sheet inserted in the case that says the same thing,

EDIT: Just saw this after posting, yes
    If they would just slather everything with a thick coat of cosmoline like the surplus stuff often came, there would be no doubt in anyones mind that it would have to be cleaned before firing ;)

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I've built a few blocks and tinkered on them more than I care to admit. Would seem to me like either ammo issue, or if not, try a different extractor, cheap part.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is a grease with copper in it, and maybe zinc I don't remember exactly.
    It's copper based Anti-Seize. I keep a small bottle of it in my kit. It's very effective for the break in period and allows mating surfaces to polish without galling.
    I've been deeply invested in Glock since the late 80s... OPs issue "appears" to be ammo related. That round in the picture looks off.
    My G19s (Gen 3 and 5) have eaten everything I've thrown at them. I do not reload or shoot reloads of any type anymore.
    I start with factory NATO spec ammo. 9mm 124g fmj @ 1250~ fps. This is what most were designed to run originally. Once a few hundred have been fired then I try other types and weights. This has always been my protocol and have served me well.
    Usually try to run at least 200 rds up to 300rds before changing ammo types. I do this regardless of the manufacturer of the gun.
    I'm not doing as much now as I used to do... but prior to covid, brandon and all the other crap going on. I averaged shooting 4000 rounds a month just in 9mm. I've had few if any gun related issues ever...

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's copper based Anti-Seize. I keep a small bottle of it in my kit. It's very effective for the break in period and allows mating surfaces to polish without galling.
    I've been deeply invested in Glock since the late 80s... OPs issue "appears" to be ammo related. That round in the picture looks off.
    My G19s (Gen 3 and 5) have eaten everything I've thrown at them. I do not reload or shoot reloads of any type anymore.
    I start with factory NATO spec ammo. 9mm 124g fmj @ 1250~ fps. This is what most were designed to run originally. Once a few hundred have been fired then I try other types and weights. This has always been my protocol and have served me well.
    Usually try to run at least 200 rds up to 300rds before changing ammo types. I do this regardless of the manufacturer of the gun.
    I'm not doing as much now as I used to do... but prior to covid, brandon and all the other crap going on. I averaged shooting 4000 rounds a month just in 9mm. I've had few if any gun related issues ever...
    Just a FYI, Anti Seize is a grease with a high solids content, usually copper, zinc, or aluminum.

4000 rounds a month is impressive, that's probably about what I averaged a season.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Take the barrel out and do a plunk test. You may have an out of spec chamber if those same rounds fit in the Gen 4. The bullets OAL looks long in the pic, but that could just be an illusion. Make sure to visually check the chamber also to make sure it's clean and clear.

I had an after-market barrel (not mentioning the manufacturer) for a Glock 26 that did not pass the 'plunk' test once...had the same issues regarding chamber depth and the slide not locking into battery correctly, as the OP has pictured! I contacted the manufacturer of the barrel and they exchanged it for a one that did pass, and functioned flawlessly, and I was happy!

Had another OEM Glock barrel (in a Glock 36, 45 acp) that I found was rusting / pitting in one of the grooves. I had picked it up used and noticed the rust build-up between the time I first cleaned it after receiving it and before firing it. I contacted Glock Customer Service + sent the barrel to them, and they looked it over, x-rayed it, and couldn't determine whether it was a manufacturing defect or was a result of being damaged while cleaning??? They sent me a new barrel, which functioned just fine, and everything was good!

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    so it's the ammo. oh sorry Glock haters :):

If every other ammunition tried is running fine other than that one box, and the ammunition in that box is clearly what isn't labeled on it, then it seems likely that the ammunition is the culprit. Plus that round does seem long, but it's hard to tell with two blurry photos. First we need to get the OP some lessons on how to take an in-focus picture so we can actually see the round, though.

Top Bottom