• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you perform a functions check after cleaning?

• Total voters

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I've spoken with several people on this topic so I figure I'll ask it here. Who does not perform a functions check after disassembling their firearm? Why not?

When I have mentioned the FC to people before they gave me a look as if a *ick was growing out of my forehead. Do some people not know how perhaps?

I ask because about 15 years ago I have a ND/AD depending on how you want to look at it. I had just cleaned my Phoenix P22 and was reloading it since it was my only firearm. I did not perform a check and when the slide was closed BANG a round went off.

I didn't know back then about a FC, but in the military we always did a FC after every tear down so it is now habit.

56 out of ??? members...I feel safe knowing just anyone can own a firearm.

Last edited:

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I always make sure that it works as it should after cleaning so I don't end up taking it to the range and not being able to shoot it because I did something wrong.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    One trick that works about function testing your handgun. Put a pencil with eraser end in first in your barrel (if it fits) LOL...... Don't jam one into a small caliber barrel. Pull the trigger and dry fire it. If the pencil pops out the firing pin and spring are ok and you know it is striking.:yesway:

Another good thing is to test decocker with the same trick, if your pistol has one. If someone used the decocker on say a Beretta and the pencil flew across the room it could save someone buying new shorts.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I had to pick the bottom one....lol But I cycle my rifles after cleaning mostly to spread the oil around the inside. But dont fire a shot as most my neighbors are cops and might find a problem with me doing so.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It's a force of habit for me to do a function check.. been doing it since I was in the military also.

That's not exactly true!

YouTube - 1000 Round Glock Torture Test Part Two

Ok let me rephrase that...I found out that it took a lot of work to get it back apart after forgetting to put the recoil spring in, but I have never fired one without it. :n00b:

And the non-shooting guys in that video should have helped their buddy out, it looked like his hand was getting a little tired!

Top Bottom