• Full size vs. compact

• Total voters

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    So, before I do anything on gunbroker, I have a question for those out there who may have been in the same boat. I have a SIG P226. With a 17-round mag, that thing weighs a lot. It's a pain in the butt to carry, I've tried the Galco KingTuk, Galco Black Widow, and SERPA Blackhawk (so I've OC'ed and CC'ed), even with a THICK belt worn tight that thing still pulls my pants down, and it really prints even with IWB and a loose shirt. Plus it's so heavy that I'm always pulling at my pants which is a dead giveaway.

I really like the gun, but seeing as how it sucks to carry I don't carry it much if at all (which kind of defeats the purpose of having it). That being said, in your educated opinions should I keep it and try other holsters (and/or carry it with 10 round mags instead of 17), sell/trade for another full-size gun with a polymer frame (lighter, but might still print), or sell/trade it for a more compact pistol (Walther PPS, PX4 Storm compact, etc.). Don't have the motivation to educate people or put up with the MWAG BS, so concealing is the best option for me.

Also, is there really that much difference in holsters? The KingTuk didn't work for me at all, would a Crossbreed be that much different?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    try a remora. seriously. i can carry a G22 all day and forget its there, and it doesn't move an inch. shell out 20 bucks and you won't be disappointed.

i can give you another piece tho - stop worrying about printing. if you're going to carry anything less than a pocket gun its likely going to be an issue no matter what.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've always came to the conclusion that a person should only carry a gun that they are comfortable with, and not what others want, or tell him/her to carry. If the gun is too big, or heavy get one you feel more comfortable with.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Keep it as a dedicated home defense gun and or second gun. Invest in something lighter for CC.

Or you can just get a good heavy gun belt and carry OWB with a cover garment.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    As much as I would love to, a lack of disposable funds means I need to sell one if I want to buy another. The SIG is the only handgun I own.

Keep it as a dedicated home defense gun and or second gun. Invest in something lighter for CC.

Or you can just get a good heavy gun belt and carry OWB with a cover garment.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I carry a government Colt in a Kramer IWB horsehide, have for 20 years. It's the only holster that works for me. It took 15-20 different brands to find the Kramer. I wanted to carry the government .45 so went through the cost. I have carried a6 " STI 10mm IWB but not as easy to do as the Colt. STI is OWB carry.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    If you really like the Sig, learn to cope with it and dress to conceal better. If it prints now and then, so what. 99% of the sheeple are too worried about tweeting this or FBing that.
    I carry a CZ P07. The grip is shorter than yours, and it weighs a bit less, but it's no light weight. I deal with it and dress for it, because I prefer it over the wife's Sig P238. Oh, her Sig is a freaking joy to carry, but I'd rather have the CZ.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I saw your for sale thread this weekend, and REALLY want to buy the Sig from you. Unfortunately I'm on a spending hiatus for the time being.

I would look into a Glock 19 (it does double duty for me, EDC and nightstand). It's pretty good sized, but much lighter and a bit smaller than the P226, plus still holds 15+1. Carries like a dream. I don't consider it a Compact (Glock does), but the perfect in-between. Full grip size for most, yet concealable. Try to trade in the classifieds, you can probably get cash+G19 for your P226.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It sounds like you won't be happy until you get a compact gun. I don't suggest the ultra compact junk. just like you said, a compact version of a full size gun. that is what I use (m&p9c or Glock 26), and I have total confidence in its accuracy. Anything smaller or lighter than a compact gives up way too much in accuracy for me to bear. Plus, it sounds like you have great holsters, so if you get a compact version that will fit your existing holster then you are set!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I second trying a remora. I carry a m&p 9 full size in mine, and prior to that a taurus pt92.

Also don't worry too much about people knowing you are carrying. Most will never know. Situational awareness and smart phones cannot coexist.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a government Colt in a Kramer IWB horsehide, have for 20 years. It's the only holster that works for me. It took 15-20 different brands to find the Kramer. I wanted to carry the government .45 so went through the cost. I have carried a6 " STI 10mm IWB but not as easy to do as the Colt. STI is OWB carry.

I sometimes carry a full size Sig Scorpion 1911 in a Kramer Scabbard OWB holster in horsehide. I am a real fan of the Kramer holsters and try to order one for every gun I carry as funds allow. That full size Sig weighs in at something like 45 oz. but carries comfortably in a quality holster and dedicated Kydex reinforced gun belt. But, having said that, I voted to switch to a compact sized gun. As much as I love my full size 1911s and CZs, I love my compact 1911s and CZs even more. You give up nothing in terms of accuracy and only a one or two of rounds in the mag but you gain a gun that carries much easier. With me, it's not the weight of a full size gun that bothers me, it's the muzzle poking my hip and the butt damaging furniture. You can tell where I tend to sit and which car I tend to drive while carrying a full size 1911 as they all have a lot of scratches where the base plate of the mag hits stuff. With a compact pistol, that happens much less. With a compact Glock, it does not happen at all due to the more forgiving shape and material in the base plates.

My favorite guns to shoot and carry are a Compact CZ 75, a Kimber Compact 1911 and a Glock 23.

Top Bottom