• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I doubt I have to express my opinion on Glocks here on INGO. Over the years I've had every model made in 9mm and .40, competing with the 34 and 35 in USPSA and steel matches and carrying or training with all the others.

Looking back in my INGO albums, I can still see this G23 carry setup from back in 2009.

picture.php

Like many others, I kept seeing all the hype of the M&P's and have to say I love the way the M&P series looks. My first jump into the M&P series after all of the launch videos for the M&P Shield. I got lucky and picked up the first one that came in to Acme Sports the day after the launch, having sold my carry Glock to fund the purchase.

406187_10150992496108528_559249933_n.jpg

I carried the Shield all through the summer, either in my front pocket holster or an Old Faithful until the late fall when Mrs Hickman got her LTCH and wanted to go shooting.

http://youtu.be/oEzjm_YfI0k

Yeah, she loves the Shield and claimed it hers on Christmas morning and has been carrying it everyday ever since.

After the Shield, I decided to sell my G34 and pick up a M&P9 Full size range set, purchased from PSA and shipped to Acme. I added Warren sights and all the Apex goodies.

531073_10151062070468528_673654643_n.jpg

I will say the Apex really cleaned up the trigger and made it a lot better. I shot most of my USPSA matches with the setup. I added some stippled grips for a more textured grip. I will say, for one handed shooting, the M&P's fit is really nice.

Once the Mrs jacked my favorite carry gun, I picked up a M&Pc from a fellow INGOer.

737730_10151234769458528_1983652099_o.jpg

I love the size of the M&P9c... but as I started to think about adding night sights and starting to look at all of the Apex upgrades, AEK, Ram and even the new Glock style Apex trigger... and that got me thinking again.

What didn't I like about the M&P line? I knew I loved the look, the size of each, the way the mags feed and drop... but what was it I didn't care for?

One thing I tell anyone looking for a polymer carry gun is pick them up and and see how they fit your hand. For me, the M&P never really fit my hand. I wanted to like it, because it looks so sweet and everyone else really likes it. But then I realize why they gave up their Glocks for the M&P... it fit THEIR hands...

The other thing that bugged me was the trigger. I've shot Glocks for so long, I actually like the trigger. I never really cared for the hinged trigger of the M&P, even with the Apex parts in it. I was went I was thinking about what to put in the 9c that I asked myself, why am I thinking about putting $250 worth of parts to make the M&P have a Glock trigger?

This was also around the time all the gun panic buying was going on. I asked myself "what gun would I want to die with?" The answer for me is the Glock 19. Yeah, I don't really expect the gun grabbers to get their laws passed, but then again, I never thought Obama could get re-elected.

So I made a decision to sell the 9c to my young cousin who's getting ready to start college and had just received his LTCH and started shopping for a Gen4 G19, since I still had a GSSF discount coupon to use. I called up Acme to put down the money I had raised from selling the 9c.

Long story short, we know the wait for Glocks is nuts. I ended up using the discount for a new blue label Gen3 G26 and over these last several months, I've put money towards the Gen4 G19 each payday. This week I got the call from Acme Sports that Glock finally sent them a Gen4 G19 :rockwoot:

So this all worked out pretty well, the wife has the Shield, I have these bad boys with Grip Force Adapters and Ameriglo Hackthorn sights

photobucket-11376-1364047337628_zps90a69f2d.jpg

2013-03-23_09-59-09_793_zpsfc95064b.jpg

and since I basically had the G19 on layaway and paid it off, the boy has his first handgun.

334768_10151160353568528_885564118_o.jpg

Works out for everyone in the end :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Very analytical approach JT-- I like it. ;)

Even as someone who is happy with the switch from Glock to M&P I don't disagree with a word you posted.

Congrats on the new toys. :yesway:

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    That's the problem my wife has, she can't hardly find a gun to fit her small hands, she wants more magazine capacity, but can't hold a double stack pistol comfortably.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm getting back into Glocks as well. Picked up a Gen4 26 last week. Waiting on my Hooch holster to get here now :rockwoot:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Considering money invested and overall feel and function I don't believe I'll every have any auto pistol other than a Glock or a 1911. To each his own but the Glock and 1911 manage to cover everything I'm looking for in a pistol. There are obviously differences in the two but they both feel like they belong in my hand and when it's all said and done, that's what it's all about.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Funny thing on timing. I was in a class of 20 people about a week ago. One Sig, one 1911 style. Most of the rest were a mix of Glocks and M&P's. I like and have both, though a G19 is my edc. I have never in my life seen as many plastic pistols malfunction and break as in this class. The Glocks fared quite a bit better than the Smiths, but still had issues. The number one culprit seemed to be the reloaded frangible ammo. It was horrible. Almost everyone kept having problems. Some couldn't get more than a few shots off without a malfunction, often getting the case stuck in the chamber and locking the gun up.

Guess what. The guns that malfunctioned the most were the ones that had the most modifications. Coincidence? Maybe. The one Apexed up M&P was a particular junkpile. I had no stoppages or malfunctions. I believe this was mostly attributable to the fact I was using factory Winchester frangible. I did buy some of the reloade stuff and plan on trying it out this weekend. My point? I don't know, rambling I guess.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been waiting to read this.

As for someone who also went from Glock, to M&P, and back to Glock, I too understand your reasons.

Welcome back!

And how do you like the Grip Force Adapters?

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Don't think you can go wrong with either brand. It truely does come down to personal preference. I prefer the glock 19 but I did pick up a shield earlier this week and it feels great for iwb carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice writeup. I've only been into Glocks for a couple of months and am pretty happy with them. There are guns that I like to shoot more, and there are guns that I shoot better, but there is a simplicity to the Glocks that I really am attracted to. It's not pretty, and it's not the most accurate but it is enough to do what I want it to do. In a world that seems over filled with over the top options and capabilities, the Glock seems to represent an almost zen like simplicity that makes me happy.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    When at home, I carry my G19 but I own an M&P9. The only reason the G19 gets carried over the M&P is because of the full size frame on the M&P. I would love to get my hands on a 9c or a shield to see how that feels in comparison. Where everyone talks about the grip differences, I find myself comfortably holding either of them. I love the pal swells for my M&P, and my G19 was stippled by Cory Nash so it feels great as well. I can't say that I have one or the other that I prefer, I love both of them, if only I could find a threaded barrel for the M&P I would be super happy!

Good review Hickman!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I tried my gf's M&P40 and never warmed up to it. I liked it ok but it never fit my hand quite right. If Smith made a 10mm version I'd give it a try but they don't so the point is moot. The XDs has started to woo me away from my G36 as a compact BUG though.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was one of the guys who loved the M&P but due to ergo's decided against a switch. The trigger isn't too bad, but still not a Glock. The wife like the M&P because it fit her well so she's rocking one now. I actually prefer HK but the price of admission has me running glocks except for my range toys.

Top Bottom