• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I wasn't sure where to post this but chose here anyway. I and most other Marines used/use a loop sling when shooting prone at 500 yards. My question, if you free float the barrel would attaching the sling to the handguard cause problems? Are there accessories to attach directly to the barrel?

Is is it pathetic that I sit around thinking of crap like this?:dunno:

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    IF YOU ATTACH THE SLING DIRECTLY TO THE BARREL IT VOIDS OR NEGATES THE PURPOSE OF FREE FLOATING THE BARREL IN THE FIRST PLACE. ok, sorry caps lock off. The idea of free floating is so the barrel can cycle or vibrate whip in a consistent manner. by attaching a sling or point of contact it stops/interferes with that action or process. unless you can consistently put the exact same amount of pressure as you pull the sling tight you will most likely get different results when shooting. There are points to place a sling on free float forearms and IIRC the dcm gun that has the correct look but free floated stuff has the factory style point. The only problem I could foresee would be a cheap forearm maybe having issues with repeated use would start to cant or pull to the side you stabilize from. other than that go for it

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What kind of handguard?

The issue you've thought of is not an issue with a float tube/hand guard of quality construction; that can obviously also mean the WELD of the swivel onto the guard. I have seen those break, but none of those from the better shops.

I sling up so hard into my leather 1903 that I've stretched it 2 holes worth. It's a Les Tam, and it's as good a 1903 as anyone on the planet has ever made. It's also trash now.

I have also broken a handguard OUT of an Anschutz rail with a match sling, and I use about the same pressure.

In no way can the average Marine in a BDU-type uniform tolerate the kind of pressure we can in a coat. It's not impossible to GENERATE that kind of pressure in a blouse, but to tolerate it for long strings of fire and maintain the same level of hold and concentration is another thing entirely.

My zeroes from day to day and range to range all over the Midwest do not vary more than about two 1/4-minute clicks in any direction, ever. That includes all the bugaboo about Camp Perry.

So when I say it's a non-issue with a good handguard or float tube, I mean it.

-Nate

Top Bottom