• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would offering free college instead of welfare work?

• Total voters
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Ok, I was having a discussion at work today about the welfare system, and how some people seem to make a profession out of exploiting it. Some how this led to discussing the "free college" offered in India. So I had an idea.

Do away with welfare, and divert all the funds into free college. For everyone.

Now, the way this would work is that you get enrolled in a college, a state school or university, nearby where you reside. Tuition, books, materials....paid for. You get set up in a dorm, or get a cost of living allowance if you have a family. If your GPA drops below a set number....you get booted from the program, and are ineligible to resume it for 5 years.

To negate the threat of homelessness, if you're booted, you have two options.....live in government regulated Section 8 housing, where your comings and goings are strictly monitored, and you're placed in a work program until either you can afford to strike out on your own, or you're eligible for college again....

Or go home to mamma. No monthly check. You don't get paid for behaving irresponsibly.

What do you think? I know its not perfect, but I for one would jump at the chance for a free education, and it would put an end to people on welfare milking the system because they're too lazy to get off the couch.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    College wouldn't work. Bottom line is that there are many folks who won't help themselves no matter what's thrown at them. The desire to improve yourself and your lot in life doesn't live within everyone.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I vote no because we already have this system in place, to an extent. When I was in college, I saw too many people living off of Mommy and Daddy's money, blowing of classes, partying late, and not carrying about their education. The problem was that since they weren't paying for it, they didn't care. Now, that wasn't true in all of the cases, but it was in enough of them, and I believe it would be the same for a welfare college system.

My other complaint about this system is that having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a good paying job. I know plenty of college grads right now trying to get jobs at the local VP or McDonalds.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I vote no because we already have this system in place, to an extent. When I was in college, I saw too many people living off of Mommy and Daddy's money, blowing of classes, partying late, and not carrying about their education. The problem was that since they weren't paying for it, they didn't care. Now, that wasn't true in all of the cases, but it was in enough of them, and I believe it would be the same for a welfare college system.

Exactly!!!!

In my extent working with the homeless and needy all they want for free is money, food, clothes and bling. I've offered to tutor them for GREs and they shoot it down.

Besides I don't need Obama taking any more money from those who earn it and giving it to those who don't. It only creates dependence. Robin Hood may have meant well, but he was still a thief.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Thats the beauty of it...the alternative is basically boot camp. You get free housing...but your movement is restricted, and you do things according to a schedule or you DO get to go be homeless. There's no smoking pot on your couch, watching Maury until its time to hop in the Lexus and go to the salon.

And THEY don't get paid...the school does.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I learned the answer at Conner Prairie today.

Apprenticeships.

The blacksmith explained that the apprentice would sign a 6 year agreement/contract with him. The blacksmith would take him in, feed and clothe him. Work him 14 hour days. At the end of 6 years he could earn 5 or 6 dollars a day instead of working fields for one dollar a day or something like that.

If he decided to quit, and leave to go back home, the constable would go bring him back to serve out his 6 years of time. But instead of teaching him blacksmithing SKILL, he'd just have him do work. So, when the apprentice left, he'd be no better off than when he came - but it was his choice.

I have always thought apprenticeships and more skilled trades should be done in the USA. And nothing to do with government-subsidized schooling for this, either.

This is the (current) blacksmith.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PeZ9MEm-fI]YouTube - Merav Newman helps the blacksmith[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis

My other complaint about this system is that having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a good paying job. I know plenty of college grads right now trying to get jobs at the local VP or McDonalds.

Very much what he said. There are already plenty of people in the college system who don't belong there and make it more difficult for students who want to learn to get their money's worth. In lieu of welfare, it would be worthless to all involved.

I think Boilers has the right idea with apprenticeships.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point

Besides I don't need Obama taking any more money from those who earn it and giving it to those who don't. It only creates dependence. Robin Hood may have meant well, but he was still a thief.

I think people too lazy to help themselves should get no help. Doneski.

Agree 100% with all of these posts. I went to IU bloomington for a semester, and then transferred to IU Nortwest (In Gary). I see A LOT of minorities going to college for free or close to it, and it definetely has nothing to do with academic scholarships. Most of these people that I know personally have a few things in common:

1. they did not do well in high school
    2. they are not intelligent
    3. if they do make it through, their degrees will not help them get a good job.

Free school and extremely extremely low admission requirements do not help anyone, including those that benefit from it.

Top Bottom