• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Keep an eye out for fraud charges from something called YOOX Group. My CC company stopped a $1285 charge this morning so now I get to update the various accounts that I had on auto-charge with this card. If I could bill these YOOX POS for my time, I would!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Recently had to cancel and redo my CC. I have a package from a member on another forum for a rear sight. Been shipped, tracking shows it in Louisville 2 months ago. Filed a claim and contacted the PO. 1 month later no response.

Anyway, got an email about my missing package so I clicked on it. It was apparent it was a scam so I deleted it immediately. Called the CC company who I have had great service with for years. They said no charges on it but best to cancel and reissue the card. Now the funny part, they wanted me to take a survey about how well they did. No problem, again great service from them.
    First question - How likely are you to recommend us? 9 was the best so, 9.
    Second question - Did we answer all your questions? 1 for yes, 1.
    Third question had an answer of 1. As I pushed 1 my phone beeped and connected me to the 911 Operator. :ugh:

Spent a few minutes explaining it to her. Not the first time it happened evidently.

Don

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had to get a new visa someone hacked it and bought $698 from some aquarium supply store with it. Got it turned off and a new replacement card in 3 days. This is one of then new chip cards. I thought they were supposed to be hacked less? This is the 3rd time with a chipped card. Never had my old strip cards hacked once.

How hard is it to find where the items bought were delivered and go arrest the criminals? Do they not even try?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had to get a new visa someone hacked it and bought $698 from some aquarium supply store with it. Got it turned off and a new replacement card in 3 days. This is one of then new chip cards. I thought they were supposed to be hacked less? This is the 3rd time with a chipped card. Never had my old strip cards hacked once.

How hard is it to find where the items bought were delivered and go arrest the criminals? Do they not even try?

For the question about the new cards, they are more secure, but not all vendors have implemented the correct systems. If you use it at a terminal and it doesn't ask for the PIN, then it is not as secure. The system is called chip and PIN for a reason. Too many vendors ask you to insert the card, but then it doesn't ask for the PIN, which is BS. The PIN makes it more secure when used with a card with a chip. These have been used in the UK for years, but once they were forced to be used here vendors have been very lax in implementation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No they do not. Happened to me when someone bought a bunch of expensive tennis shoes up in Chicago using my hacked card. I had enough info that I contacted the business that sold them, but they wouldn't give me the shipping info, but said that my bank could contact them and they would provide it to them. When I told my bank about it, their fraud department wasn't interested in following up. They just ate the charges and issued me a new card.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Generally card numbers are stolen from being used online, not at a POS terminal. Chip doesn't help in those cases.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Generally card numbers are stolen from being used online, not at a POS terminal. Chip doesn't help in those cases.

True, most are done there, but not all. Skimmers on ATM's and gas pumps steal card info as well and I believe that chip and PIN will prevent that, but I could be wrong.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No they do not. Happened to me when someone bought a bunch of expensive tennis shoes up in Chicago using my hacked card. I had enough info that I contacted the business that sold them, but they wouldn't give me the shipping info, but said that my bank could contact them and they would provide it to them. When I told my bank about it, their fraud department wasn't interested in following up. They just ate the charges and issued me a new card.
    Same thing happened here. Got hacked by someone that ordered $600 in carry out at a restaurant in LA. WTF!? After I contacted visa and disputed it the card was de-activated I tracked down the actual resaturant and called them. Spoke to the manager and gave them a heads up that they might want to scrutinize their customers a little better because my cc was hacked and they placed a big order for carry out. Told him that I lived in Indiana and I don't make a habit of ordering carry out from a joint all the way on the west coast.

He asked for the approximate date the charge was made and he was actually able to find the transaction in the books. He apologized and said they would take steps to look out for any questionable activity in the future.

I highly doubt if the CC company even pursued it but atleast I was off the hook for the charge and was able to give the manager of the restaruant a heads up and a piece of my mind.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Again, no they don't. My wife got her cc info stolen. The police actually caught the woman after running up $2,000 worth of charges. Our bank said it wasn't worth the hassle to press charges.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Laws should be written so that if one were so inclined, one could hunt down the perpetrator and set them on fire. I got the shipping address on some Mazda parts some bastard ordered using my card. Found the phone # that matched the address and called the SOB. Maybe if we let them know we can find them, they might think twice.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They don't worry about it because charges are so rarely filed. This is how you get more crime, is by not punishing it when it happens. I don't care about someone's socioeconomic status or if their Mommy hugged them enough growing up. If someone breaks the law you need to punish them or they'll be emboldened to continue to do so. Falls under more stuff progressive twits don't understand.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Happens to me several times a year. My cc company is good about catching it and disabling my card. I get a new one in a few days and update a few accounts that have automatic payments to the new card. It has pretty much become normal to me.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

They do not try. I had to contact my Credit Union after one of the several times we`ve been hacked, and I let them know I was fairly certain I knew where the hack had occurred, and they told me flat-out, they do not pursue these things. They simply investigate whether the transaction is truly fraudulent, then issue news cards. I was really surprised.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For the question about the new cards, they are more secure, but not all vendors have implemented the correct systems. If you use it at a terminal and it doesn't ask for the PIN, then it is not as secure. The system is called chip and PIN for a reason. Too many vendors ask you to insert the card, but then it doesn't ask for the PIN, which is BS. The PIN makes it more secure when used with a card with a chip. These have been used in the UK for years, but once they were forced to be used here vendors have been very lax in implementation.
    And they still have stripes on them as well, and as you say US doesn't require the PIN, and if you are buying online you only need the info that all is printed on the card anyway and not any additional second factor to prove it's you using the card. The chips are an incomplete solution without the other factors.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Same thing happened here. Got hacked by someone that ordered $600 in carry out at a restaurant in LA. WTF!? After I contacted visa and disputed it the card was de-activated I tracked down the actual resaturant and called them. Spoke to the manager and gave them a heads up that they might want to scrutinize their customers a little better because my cc was hacked and they placed a big order for carry out. Told him that I lived in Indiana and I don't make a habit of ordering carry out from a joint all the way on the west coast.

He asked for the approximate date the charge was made and he was actually able to find the transaction in the books. He apologized and said they would take steps to look out for any questionable activity in the future.

I highly doubt if the CC company even pursued it but atleast I was off the hook for the charge and was able to give the manager of the restaruant a heads up and a piece of my mind.
    Sometimes these are run through a business with the cooperation of an employee who then pockets the money, etc.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Or handing your card to a waiter or waitress and it gets skimmed by them. Chip and PIN and the card never leaving your possession would be a big improvement, along with some second factor that's not on the card itself for ordering online (or those temp card numbers for ordering online) would eliminate a huge amount of this.

Apparently the credit card companies believe that Americans would not be able to figure this out and it would cut profits more than any fraud costs (?)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sounds to me likd it would havd been worth a trip to Chicago to put someone in the hospital for aiding the criminals.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently the credit card companies believe that Americans would not be able to figure this out and it would cut profits more than any fraud costs (?)
    This. If fraud due to card information were causing an impact to the card companies, they would fix the problem themselves. It's apparently less expensive for them to detect it and address it on their end than the customer's end. The biggest security problem with all things is the human using it. Just look at IT security and how even the most elaborate of multi-factor authentication can be bypassed with a bit of social engineering.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sometimes these are run through a business with the cooperation of an employee who then pockets the money, etc.
    Well at least the manager was alerted that some nefarious activity was afoot. Maybe he was in on it. Whatever the case may be the end result was that my card was hacked and it was brought to their attention by the actual victim. (myself)

Top Bottom