FoxNews Breaking: Prez will force prvt companies to pay OT to salaried employees

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why do I suspect that if it was actually established that Obama was born in Kenya, there would be a cabal on INGO that would be screaming Bush was born there first?

Now you're just being ridiculous. We all know that magic soil births are only required for democrats.

Cruz 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!1!!!!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Being paid salary doesn't in and of itself make it exempt. There's more that factors into determining whether a person's job is an exempt job or not than just whether or not he gets paid salary.

Certain professionals are exempt (like clergy, lawyers, doctors), "highly compensated" jobs are exempt (typically $100K per year or more), I.T. is exempt, a position that's critical to the business is exempt (I forget how that one's worded though). There are several tests involved, and if a salaried job doesn't actually meet any of them, it's not an exempt job. Sure, the employer will TELL you it's an exempt job, but it's not.

I can't really talk about how I know this because of a confidentiality agreement. I have to keep my mouth shut about certain things.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Excellent post. The unfettered capitalism crowd has been swayed by capital, go figure, to support and vote for a concept that is detrimental to their own interests. You have lower to middle class folks voting to become wage slaves under the guise of free market exceptionalism. It really is amazing.

This action isn't for the middle manager who "comes in when he wants and leaves when he wants". It is about the labor practices of capital exploiting, stealing, production from those who produce. It is about the retail "manager" who was promoted to salary so capital can avoid paying him for 70 hours while pocketing the money saved to invest in some credit default swaps. It is amazing that folks think they have the bargaining power under their "work ethic and negotiation skills" to avoid cost savings laid down by Wall Street. Labor has taken an enormous hit in the US. Wealth inequality is an issue. An issue that doesn't cleanly resolve. You can only steal production for so long.

Ah. I see the President of Sales and Marketing from Straw Man Labs, Inc., has come to pitch his product. Here are a few reasons not to buy it.

1) In briand212's example, there's no "unfettered capitalism". All this presumably happened in our current state of a "fettered capitalism", yet it still happened. Funny how we can enact laws that "fetter" everyone so that presumably the few who need it are protected, and then it happens anyway. Net effect, everyone is "fettered" and **** still happens. Sound familiar?

2) And this is the important part of why straw men are weak. It isn't what he says it is. Most pro-capitalists don't favor allowing unfettered malice, which most of briand212's examples against his employer involved. Keeping government out of the market doesn't mean all market participants are free to malice whomever they wish, or are free from litigation. In most those examples, the individuals sued and reportedly won. That's the free-market way to deal with it.

3) Other than the fraud, if he doesn't like the hours, or compensation, or the smell of his boss, or the color of carpet on the floor, he should be **free** to find employment elsewhere. And if finding another job isn't practical for the typical market reasons, those are the breaks that anyone would face even in our current world of labor laws.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/443721538706362368

?Change We Can Believe In?: Obama to ?Force? Businesses to Pay Overtime to Millions | Jammie Wearing Fools

Reports: Obama to issue executive order expanding overtime pay

Pretty sure he has absolutely zero authority to do this. Someone has to have gotten this wrong.

I'd love to know his enforcement mechanism. In other news, businesses permanently eliminate overtime.

Just absolute lawlessness.
    Just bring in part time employees to get around his interfering and Supreme Leader meddling. The clown isn't king.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Certain professionals are exempt (like clergy, lawyers, doctors), "highly compensated" jobs are exempt (typically $100K per year or more), I.T. is exempt, a position that's critical to the business is exempt (I forget how that one's worded though). There are several tests involved, and if a salaried job doesn't actually meet any of them, it's not an exempt job. Sure, the employer will TELL you it's an exempt job, but it's not.

Bingo.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    Ah. I see the President of Sales and Marketing from Straw Man Labs, Inc., has come to pitch his product. Here are a few reasons not to buy it.

1) In briand212's example, there's no "unfettered capitalism". All this presumably happened in our current state of a "fettered capitalism", yet it still happened. Funny how we can enact laws that "fetter" everyone so that presumably the few who need it are protected, and then it happens anyway. Net effect, everyone is "fettered" and **** still happens. Sound familiar?

2) And this is the important part of why straw men are weak. It isn't what he says it is. Most pro-capitalists don't favor allowing unfettered malice, which most of briand212's examples against his employer involved. Keeping government out of the market doesn't mean all market participants are free to malice whomever they wish, or are free from litigation. In most those examples, the individuals sued and reportedly won. That's the free-market way to deal with it.

3) Other than the fraud, if he doesn't like the hours, or compensation, or the smell of his boss, or the color of carpet on the floor, he should be **free** to find employment elsewhere. And if finding another job isn't practical for the typical market reasons, those are the breaks that anyone would face even in our current world of labor laws.

The problem I have is to the ones that want absolutely no rules.. how do you think those employees were able to sue? it was because of the labor laws that allowed them to sue and seek regress.. if there were no rules. they would have been screwed. with no rules there is nothing
    to stop a boss from saying .. oh yes I know you worked your two weeks but you know what .. I am not paying you.. don't like it find another job.
    ( yes that is an extreme example, but realistic if no rules were in place)

and yes the pendulum can swing to far the other way with too much gov regulation.

but back on topic.. lets face it .. Congress over the decades has given way to much authority to all sorts of departments just so they do not have to actually do anything ,, congress could stop Obama .. if they would just grow a pair and actually try.

Top Bottom