• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I ran 3 rounds to check zero and fouling shots. Shot 9 22lr through the trap line pistol. Got 5 doz. coil springs ready,

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Not early trapping……… but I’m really hoping to bag a good fur to try and tan for a hat for fun. I got one last year during muzzle loader…. But didn’t get around to tanning it. I’m more motivated this year.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Not early trapping……… but I’m really hoping to bag a good fur to try and tan for a hat for fun. I got one last year during muzzle loader…. But didn’t get around to tanning it. I’m more motivated this year.
    If you happen to try that new liquid nu-tan stuff I’d like to know how it does. Heard good things.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I bought a thermal scope and have it set up on a 300BLK upper (can swap it to a .22 or .223) and have been wanting to hunt coyotes on my property in Parke Co. Any advice for a new varmint hunter?

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I bought a thermal scope and have it set up on a 300BLK upper (can swap it to a .22 or .223) and have been wanting to hunt coyotes on my property in Parke Co. Any advice for a new varmint hunter?
    Good cover, great camo, know the wind, use calls not sold in every local store, scouting coyote areas well in advance, scout more areas than you can hunt in 4 or 5 days. Get your permission well in advance. Park away from your stand site, walk in. Know your area, use appropriate firearms. Let the farmers know your truck and when you may be there. Set up draw stations to your advantage. Go hunting, go hunting, go hunting. Learn from your mistakes, always ask yourself why, what if? The best scent, is no scent. The best movement is no movement. Best of luck.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Good cover, great camo, know the wind, use calls not sold in every local store, scouting coyote areas well in advance, scout more areas than you can hunt in 4 or 5 days. Get your permission well in advance. Park away from your stand site, walk in. Know your area, use appropriate firearms. Let the farmers know your truck and when you may be there. Set up draw stations to your advantage. Go hunting, go hunting, go hunting. Learn from your mistakes, always ask yourself why, what if? The best scent, is no scent. The best movement is no movement. Best of luck.
    The first two suggestions don't apply near as much when hunting with thermal because darkness is your cover and camouflage. Wind is very important. Limit your movements. Be prepared for coyotes to come from a direction that you don't expect. I've had coyotes appear out of nowhere 20 yards behind me.

Be warned, you're starting down a rabbit hole that can get expensive. Get a good tripod. I started out with trigger sticks, and my partner still uses them. I prefer the type that is in the pic I posted up thread. It makes it easier to scan with my scanner, spot a coyote, drop my scanner, and get on my gun. A scanner is as important as a thermal scope.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The first two suggestions don't apply near as much when hunting with thermal because darkness is your cover and camouflage. Wind is very important. Limit your movements. Be prepared for coyotes to come from a direction that you don't expect. I've had coyotes appear out of nowhere 20 yards behind me.

Be warned, you're starting down a rabbit hole that can get expensive. Get a good tripod. I started out with trigger sticks, and my partner still uses them. I prefer the type that is in the pic I posted up thread. It makes it easier to scan with my scanner, spot a coyote, drop my scanner, and get on my gun. A scanner is as important as a thermal scope.
    Okie dokie, you’ll have to forgive me I’m new at this.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wasn't being critical, I was just pointing out that it's not as important at night. During the day, it's much more important, but darkness evens the playing field. You can get away with a lot more at night than what you could during the day.

For example, I walk in quietly and stand in the middle of a bare field. As long as I'm not winded, I'll get coyotes with 30 yards of me. Typically, my shots are 100-175 yards, but that's because of the gear that I'm using. However, during the day, there's no way you will get coyotes anywhere close to you if you're standing in the middle of an open field.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I wasn't being critical, I was just pointing out that it's not as important at night. During the day, it's much more important, but darkness evens the playing field. You can get away with a lot more at night than what you could during the day.
    No problems, I do like your set up. Something we could have only dreamed of when the coyotes came in and started pushing the fox out. But we had no need to kill them, there was no market for them at the time.

Heck there’s no market now, but calving season is coming.

If I’m coyote wacking I’m in full camo 12 noon or midnight. But that’s just me. Gets a lot of funny looks at the coffee stops along the way after dark.
    :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom