• ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Geneo's is a great place.
    Rather small, and small inventory, but I have always liked the place.
    They will order most anything for you.

There is also Applied Balistics.
    Somewhat bigger, more selection, and they have an indoor range and firearm rentals.

Neither of the above two have the inventory of Four Guns but I believe they both have better prices.

One more thing, with Geneo's and Applied Ballistics, I have never been ignored.

More than just a few times I've gone into Four Guns and had to work just to get an employees acknowledgment, let alone assistance.
    I've had an experience or two at applied ballistics that would cause me not to go in there again.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I just went to Four Guns again today to scout a few things out and everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly. I’d recommend them.

Galaxy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    West Lafayette
    This is a great shop where staffs are super friendly and knowledgeable.

However, the gunsmith Josh just set off from the store, preparing to leave for Idaho. I’ve heard he’s still working somewhere local, anyone had any luck running into him in another local store nearby? Has some work on the rifle and pistol to do.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I am saddened that I have to say this but I cannot recommend Four Guns in Lafayette for transfers anymore.

Why... FIFTY DOLLARS, 50, FIVE-ZERO, a FIDDY for a transfer as of 1-1-24.

If I would have know that before a recent purchase I would not have used them.

Prior to covid, I worked in Lafayette, with our offices near Earl Ave. It was nice to be able to stop in. I remember when they opened down the street across from Von Tobles years ago. Now, post covid, I have NO reason to drive to Lafayette. Now, with $50 transfer fees, I have ZERO-NADA-ZIP reasons to drive 45 minutes to visit Four Guns.

From a business standpoint, what is the reasoning? "We hate doing transfers so we'll raise the fee?" A transfer has to be one of the most highly profitable transactions they have. How long does it take, 15 minutes top? No inventory, no negotiating with the public, no instruction with a new buyer, plus it takes ZERO firearm knowledge to do the transaction.

And just like the thread about Shooters Emporium in Kokomo... The transfer is what gets me in your door. I always check out the used toy case when I'm there and on occasion may have purchased an used toy. But not now because you don't want my business anymore.

$35, I believe was their prior fee. I'm ok with $40 but $50, even though is only $10 more, to me hits a psychological price pain point. Its similar to gas pricing.

My son has a birthday coming up. He was with me that day to look for ideas. He had the one he wanted in his hand but the $50 fee that day put such a sour taste on me, it went back in the case. Sell it to someone else.

When I saw that sign and said to the guy helping me "$50 is excessive, do you guys really not want my business?" His answer was "other shops around town are at $50 or higher." Well, buddy, I'll find another shop. I hope Four Guns reads this. I might not be a high volume customer, BUT I have been a repeat and loyal customer since you opened. Add in reloading supplies, ammo and accessories over the years. Now you have broken that.

Its just as easy to tell someone, "I wouldn't use Four Guns, why not, their fees are too high."

Thanks for the memories, it was fun while it lasted.

:ingo::patriot:

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I am saddened that I have to say this but I cannot recommend Four Guns in Lafayette for transfers anymore.

Prior to covid, I worked in Lafayette, with our offices near Earl Ave. It was nice to be able to stop in. I remember when they opened down the street across from Von Tobles years ago. Now, post covid, I have NO reason to drive to Lafayette. Now, with $50 transfer fees, I have ZERO-NADA-ZIP reasons to drive 45 minutes to visit Four Guns.

From a business standpoint, what is the reasoning? "We hate doing transfers so we'll raise the fee?" A transfer has to be one of the most highly profitable transactions they have. How long does it take, 15 minutes top? No inventory, no negotiating with the public, no instruction with a new buyer, plus it takes ZERO firearm knowledge to do the transaction.

And just like the thread about Shooters Emporium in Kokomo... The transfer is what gets me in your door. I always check out the used toy case when I'm there and on occasion may have purchased an used toy. But not now because you don't want my business anymore.

$35, I believe was their prior fee. I'm ok with $40 but $50, even though is only $10 more, to me hits a psychological price pain point. Its similar to gas pricing.

My son has a birthday coming up. He was with me that day to look for ideas. He had the one he wanted in his hand but the $50 fee that day put such a sour taste on me, it went back in the case. Sell it to someone else.

When I saw that sign and said to the guy helping me "$50 is excessive, do you guys really not want my business?" His answer was "other shops around town are at $50 or higher." Well, buddy, I'll find another shop. I hope Four Guns reads this. I might not be a high volume customer, BUT I have been a repeat and loyal customer since you opened. Add in reloading supplies, ammo and accessories over the years. Now you have broken that.

I like Four Guns, they’ve always been friendly and had good service. But yeah, their prices are really high on a lot of stuff. I totally understand they have more overhead (more staff, larger retail space, more products to store, etc.), and with everything costing more I bet they’re losing some sales of new items to the used market. Raising their transfer fee may be their way of trying to recover some of that income, but there are shops in town with much lower fees that they’ll lose out to now if people shop around.

It’s a tightrope act sometimes running a retail shop, especially with firearms when the market is so volatile (it’s an election year, after all). I’d maybe work in a gun shop, but I certainly wouldn’t own one right now.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I like Four Guns, they’ve always been friendly and had good service. But yeah, their prices are really high on a lot of stuff. I totally understand they have more overhead (more staff, larger retail space, more products to store, etc.), and with everything costing more I bet they’re losing some sales of new items to the used market. Raising their transfer fee may be their way of trying to recover some of that income, but there are shops in town with much lower fees that they’ll lose out to now if people shop around.

It’s a tightrope act sometimes running a retail shop, especially with firearms when the market is so volatile (it’s an election year, after all). I’d maybe work in a gun shop, but I certainly wouldn’t own one right now.
    Yep. The sad thing is the used market is generally higher margin than new.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I agree with the posts above that $50 for a transfer is indeed a ripoff! Yes I know the old saying: If you don’t like it, go somewhere else. I’ve done numerous transfers for $25-$30. Notwithstanding, $50 for about 15 minutes of their time is excessive. Sorry, my :twocents: er, $50 !

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’ll admit, I had it GOOD back in AZ. For many years, I used a shop that charged one fee ($25) and would transfer as many firearms on that one 4473 as you wanted. Several times I coordinated multiple transfers and saved big.

Then they changed it to $20/firearm. Still not bad, and I was a regular who knew the staff so I kept using them.

Then one day I went in for a transfer after a period of time where I didn’t buy anything. They wanted $40/each, and I had two items to transfer. That extra $40 sucked. So I looked around and found a home FFL that charged $10/firearm, and I used that guy until we moved out here. Awesome, friendly service, and you couldn’t beat the price. Arizona was also set up to use your CCW/LTCH to skip the NICS check, just fill out the 4473, pay the fee, and hit the road.

Moving out here was a bit of a shock for transfers for me lol. At the same time, our finances are wildly different now and I do a LOT less buying than I used to (plus I’ve mostly dialed in what I like so I tend to do more enjoying of what I have than trying new things out). So I’m spoiled, but I get that shops have to turn a profit. Like I said, thin line to walk. :(

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I think they will make more money with the $50 transfers.... For a while. Then people will start turning away. Hard to bring them back after they are gone. I was told years ago, it costs 10 times as much to bring a new customer in, than to keep an old one. Treat the customers well.

I guy here charged $20 for as many transfers as you want. (at one time) Then he went to $20 each. To me that was fine. But it sure makes you think twice on the specials on cheap AR lowers. I can get the same price for transfers closer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I’ll admit, I had it GOOD back in AZ. For many years, I used a shop that charged one fee ($25) and would transfer as many firearms on that one 4473 as you wanted. Several times I coordinated multiple transfers and saved big.

Then they changed it to $20/firearm. Still not bad, and I was a regular who knew the staff so I kept using them.

Then one day I went in for a transfer after a period of time where I didn’t buy anything. They wanted $40/each, and I had two items to transfer. That extra $40 sucked. So I looked around and found a home FFL that charged $10/firearm, and I used that guy until we moved out here. Awesome, friendly service, and you couldn’t beat the price. Arizona was also set up to use your CCW/LTCH to skip the NICS check, just fill out the 4473, pay the fee, and hit the road.

Moving out here was a bit of a shock for transfers for me lol. At the same time, our finances are wildly different now and I do a LOT less buying than I used to (plus I’ve mostly dialed in what I like so I tend to do more enjoying of what I have than trying new things out). So I’m spoiled, but I get that shops have to turn a profit. Like I said, thin line to walk. :(

More floor space, bigger vig.

I'll pay if it is over and done. Time vs. money struggle.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yes $50 is excessive, especially if an electronic system is being used (unless the business made a poor choice and that electronic system charges an exhorbitant fee per transaction).

I used to use Marksman's in Westfield for Transfers as they were much cheaper than Tim's shooting academy where I often shoot. Then I ordered in an item from Brownells which listed their fee as $25, which is what I had been paying. When I showed up I was told $40. When I stated Brownells site stated $25 and that is what I had paid previously, the only response was "well we raised it".

Guess what, I no longer use Marksman for Transfers, nor do I check to see if they can check a price on what I am looking for. They lost multiple levels of business.

Meanwhile Tim's reduced their transfer fee to $25 and now get even more of my business. (they do scan licenses since they got their new POS system, I need to speak with them about that)

A transfer for me, paper or electronic is usually 15 - 30 minutes. Which is likely highly profitable at $50 to $100 per hour. No inventory cost or carrying cost and most direct costs in sunk overhead.

You really have to wonder what the management is thinking with some of these transfer fees.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    $50 is pretty high. My local place is $40, and I think that's high, too, but I am willing to pay it for something that I really want, and I keep going back because they've taken really good care of of me over the years.

I've been to some shops that charge a higher rate if you want to transfer a gun that they carry in stock. To me, that makes sense, because you're basically asking the shop to compete against themselves. If my local guy has got it, I'll typically just buy it from him or go shop for it somewhere else if I really can't stomach his price...I feel like it's kinda rude to ask him to transfer the same gun in for me that he has sitting on his shelf.

That said, 99% of the time, if I'm shopping online it's for something very specific that I can't get locally. If he can't get it, then there's really no reason for him to be upset that I'm looking elsewhere. It also brings me into the shop, where I inevitably buy some reloading components or on occasion even another gun. There have been times that he's waived the fee for me because I'm buying other stuff, or given me a favorable deal on a trade-in...it's been an ongoing mutually beneficial relationship for years. If I can't buy it directly from him, I see the transfer fee as a way to support his business and help keep the doors open. But if I was a guy just walking in off the street who didn't have the benefit of that ongoing relationship, and they told me they wanted $40-50 for a transfer, I'd probably walk out and go somewhere else.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana

Its just as easy to tell someone, "I wouldn't use Four Guns, why not, their fees are too high."

Thank you for the heads up. FOUR GUNS has been the primary go to for FFL services. I work at Purdue but live in Benton County. While I have no interest in securing more pew-pews this year, that cost just shut the door on any further FFL Transfers to Four Guns for me. Already started adding precision parts to those pew-pews I have. Cheaper to make improvements than to purchase new these days.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am at the "shoot what I got" stage in life, so I spend a lot more time at Applied Ballistics because of the range.

I have bought at Four Guns also. I had no problem with the selection, prices or staff. It is a retail store, with legit overheads that deserves to make a little money.

Geno runs a good store also. We are really lucky to have several good places in town.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Thank you for the heads up. FOUR GUNS has been the primary go to for FFL services. I work at Purdue but live in Benton County. While I have no interest in securing more pew-pews this year, that cost just shut the door on any further FFL Transfers to Four Guns for me. Already started adding precision parts to those pew-pews I have. Cheaper to make improvements than to purchase new these days.
    Try 95Bravo in Otterbein.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    I’m curious what other stores in the area charge 50 or more for a transfer. Academy maybe? I think Applied still is $25.00. Along with 95 Bravo, there is also Otterbein Gun Club, though you have to call and make an appointment. Gene over at Geneo’s seems like a great guy, but I have had bad experiences with some his staff, I’d rather go to Hill Top in Wingate for work on my bow.

Top Bottom