• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I've decided that I want to use one of my extra lowers for a SBR. This will be my first time with anything NFA so I want to make sure I have everything in order. I have found this site Welcome to TitleII.com for the form.

My questions are is this the correct form? I read that there was an updated version. Second question I have is if I'm undecided on which barrel length I plan to buy first what should I put under barrel length and overall length? Can the section about the CLEO(address, etc) be hand written by the CLEO or does it have to be typed? Thanks for any help

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Your better off ordering the "current" form 1 directly from the ATF website, they actually ship pretty fast and the forms are free. Don't forget to order the finger print cards and a Certifcate of Citizenship form while you are at it.

Contrary to popular belief, the form does not need to be typed at all. So you can leave that section blank and if the CLEO doesn't fill it in, you can hand write it in after he gives his signature.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for the info, I'm looking through the ATF site and found everything except the COC, do you know the form # by chance? Their search didn't yield anything useful.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for the link, now I just have to wait for the finger prints cards :coffee:. I have one final question for someone who has been through this process. For the photograph do you just glue a passport photo to the form or do you want to edit the photo onto the form? The form says see instruction 2d yet I don't see that anywhere on this form.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for the responses, I think I'm just thinking to hard about this. I have two final questions then it's off to the CLEO until I get the fingerprint cards. Item 4h, additional description of identifying data on firearm. Would I put my engraving information there since that's what will be on the receiver or is this about markings prior to that? And lastly, do I send in the two originals or copies of the form 1?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Line 4H is where you put the info you had engraved on the lower. (ex: J. Blow Indpls., IN )

Send in the originals, keep a copy until you get the originals back from the ATF, then throw them away. Now make a NEW copy of the approved original and use that as your travel copy to show to any LEOs that your legal, keep the originals in a SAFE place.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can also give a range for the length of BBl like 7.5-14.5 if you plan to change it or you can leave it blank if you are just registering the lower.
    Also if you register as a Living trust you can avoid the picture, Fingerprints and CLEO sign off. Then the ATF treats you as a Corporation. You will still need the Certificate of Compliance. Also make sure the forms you send in are 2 sided (ie. Back and front on one page) it sounds trivial but they will kick it back for that. If you want to make it go a little faster use a Money order. If you send a personal check the paperwork tends to sit at the Atlanta office while your check clears. ( I think it is the Atlanta office.)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You can also give a range for the length of BBl like 7.5-14.5 if you plan to change it or you can leave it blank if you are just registering the lower.
    Also if you register as a Living trust you can avoid the picture, Fingerprints and CLEO sign off. Then the ATF treats you as a Corporation. You will still need the Certificate of Compliance. Also make sure the forms you send in are 2 sided (ie. Back and front on one page) it sounds trivial but they will kick it back for that. If you want to make it go a little faster use a Money order. If you send a personal check the paperwork tends to sit at the Atlanta office while your check clears. ( I think it is the Atlanta office.)

This is not accurate. BATFE has been rejecting forms with a range of lengths. They started doing this about 2 years ago. At one point in time this was acceptable, but now the want only one length.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You are wrong I have had 10 in the last 2 years that have no length of bbl or overall length. In fact I have one in my hand right now. It might be that your examiner gave you bad information. You might want to talk to the supervisor up there.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You are wrong I have had 10 in the last 2 years that have no length of bbl or overall length. In fact I have one in my hand right now. It might be that your examiner gave you bad information. You might want to talk to the supervisor up there.

Your going to have show some proof, I know several people that have had their forms kicked backed for "non-specified" barrel length and OAL.

I have also talked to two different examiners about this issue, and both told me that you must be specific.

Who was your examiner?

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Your going to have show some proof, I know several people that have had their forms kicked backed for "non-specified" barrel length and OAL.

I have also talked to two different examiners about this issue, and both told me that you must be specific.

Who was your examiner?

No Offense but I am not going to post other peoples form 4s on here or for that matter my form 3's just because you are not a believer. If you would like to swing by I would be more then willing to show you, they came to me on a form 3 from a class 2 less then 2 years ago and I have transferred them to other people with the lengths blank and I have even added calibers so they are 9 / 40 and 5.56. I will have to pull my Class 3 book and look at the examiner. The registration would have been for what ever examiner handles the letter "c".

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Alright final question from me. I want to make sure I have my mailing address correct. On my form it lists

National Firearms Act Branch
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    244 Needy Road Suite 1250
    Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405

I read a post over at arfcom that it should be

US Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    National Firearms Act Branch, Suite 1250
    244 Needy Rd
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

It seems logical to use exactly what my form one has listed but I just want to make sure. It is the government after all.

Top Bottom