• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok.....FINALLY something I can relate to. While I was in the Actvie Army, I was a Senior First Cook (E-6/SSG) with a Cavalry Squadron in the Kunar Province. during my last combat tour, I served in Afghanistan, and was tasked with the additional duty of being the food service COTR (Contracting Officer Theatre Representative), and it was my main job to liase between the Military (the Army in this case) and the contractors who provided us our meals. Our food service personnel were deployed to forward Combat Outposts, and the main FOB needed these contractors.

Knowing how the government operates with these contractors, and having intimate knowledge of exactly how much money we spend monthly on rations, I suspect there are a couple of financial reasons why they would cut this mid-night meal:

1) low head count. It makes no sense logistically and financially to have meals cooked up for say..1500 meals daily, and only 23 Marines on this camp come in during the midnight meal to eat. The Army has strict guidelines on what can be kept as left overs and served again, and the time frame in which it needs to do so, so cooking up unneeded food is just wasteful. Remember folks, these are YOUR tax dollars that's being spent to feed these 23 marines.

2) we are in the process of consolidating forces for the 2014 drawdown of Afghanistan, which means instead of bringing in more supplies to more bases, they are closing the smaller ones, and relocating the supplies to these larger bases. This also means contractors are drawing down as well, so these people hired to do the base upkeep and such, are being sent back to their home nations. This also means that it would cost us more to ship back MRE's to the US, and they want to use up the stockpile already in country. This, I suspect, is the main reason for the loss of the midnight meal. I'm sure that they may not be serving "hot meals" like they do at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but they are getting supplements like soft drinks, milk, juices, and per-packaged desserts and such with these MRE's....trust me, these Marines are NOT going without.

3) political. This is the one that everyone suspects to be true, but actually may not fair into the truth as much as people would like to believe. Do I think that a political undertone based off the sequester is evident here....yes. It's like when election time comes around, and the candidates start spouting how their opponents are going to cut high profile entitlements, like Medicare, or social security, or tell the country something that we have already seen, and that's to take away our guns. Will they do it? Probably not in this election cycle, but that doesn't mean it didn't get the desired effects.

None of us, especially our vets, want to see our forces "do with out", but sometimes we need to look deeper into the story than the inflammatory headlines.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.....let the bombardment commence.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It may not be the biggest deal around, but little by little BHO is destroying the morale of our armed forces, along with the silly engagement rules that make their jobs even more dangerous. The VA has gotten even worse as well, which shows just what Obamacare will operate like, but on a much larger scale.

While I agree that this sucks for morale.... at some point... if they want to end this silly occupation of AF then they are going to need to start cutting back. We're talking about a 24 hour sandwich service and a 4th meal that can be replaced with MRE's

The funny thing is that I highly doubt that Obama knows anything about this. More than likely because of the Sequestration cutbacks... I'm sure the military is looking for places to cut expenses across the board.

Anyone who serves with the Marines knows that they get the least amount of funding. "Do more with Less" My guess is some Major took a look at the budget and needed to look for places to cut expenses.

This is yet another example of trying to blame EVERYTHING on one person. I don't like Obama either, but I don't feel compelled to make up more reasons to hate him.

Has anyone stopped and thought that just maybe... we as a people are to blame for this current state of the union? We voted, we sit by and watch... then we complain.

Its not Democrats, its not Conservatives... its us.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Camp Atterbury Schol house are being built. I was there friday, I spent my $7.49 and eat with the troops. The best 7.49 lunch in quite some time. Fish/chicken/chicken salad/good pasta/ a salad bar/ about 5 desert choices/ cup of joe (Well 2 and a couple of sports drinks.

PS sorry boss I was almost worthless after lunch.

If i had these meals avaiable 3 times a day I would be fat. Now overseas it may be different but never being in the service they sure do know that an army moves on the amount of food consumed. It was wonderful.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    everybody who thinks that MRE's suck must be wet behind the ears. As a kid in the 60's a neighbor used to give us K-rations and C-rations from his fallout bunker...... THOSE SUCKED! (they must of been pretty old, even way back then)

MRE's are gourmet meals compared to what came before, and they heat up too! Just like going to McDonalds! (well ok, McDonalds does suck pretty bad too)

I disagree. I wouldn't trade one C-ration meal (even ham and lima beans) for a case of MREs. (And, in the good old days, Cs even contained a pack of four cigarettes and a book of matches.)

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    Soon each will be issued 30 rounds a month.
    When that 30 is gone, you will have to wait until the first of the next month to get another 30.

Or have someone back home send you a case.
    Oh, that's right. There is an ammo shortage here.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Camp Atterbury Schol house are being built. I was there friday, I spent my $7.49 and eat with the troops. The best 7.49 lunch in quite some time. Fish/chicken/chicken salad/good pasta/ a salad bar/ about 5 desert choices/ cup of joe (Well 2 and a couple of sports drinks.

PS sorry boss I was almost worthless after lunch.

If i had these meals avaiable 3 times a day I would be fat. Now overseas it may be different but never being in the service they sure do know that an army moves on the amount of food consumed. It was wonderful.

It's hit and miss. Chow halls, like restaurants, vary in quality. If you find one that's one where NATO troops are likely to use it or there's lots of command staff, it'll be better. I remember driving to main post on Ft. Riley when they build the new chow hall there because it was freakin' awesome for lunch compared to ours up on the hill.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There hasn't been a president since the first Bush who gave two poos about the military. Obama isn't a patch on Clinton in that regard. Units at 60% strength, asbestos laced barracks, Brady Bill ruining careers, the joke half-measure that was "don't ask, don't tell", failing to respond adequately to attacks like on the USS Cole, aggressive use of RIF, and he didn't even have a war to bother with.

While I agree with your opinion of Clinton and ODL, what's your particular beef with Bush 43? From everything I know, he quietly visited wounded soldiers at Walter Reed, quietly honored the dead as they were being unloaded here in the States, funded the Rapid Fielding Initiative, and generally respected and treated his military staffers well. If you're talking about the War on Terror, well, wars happen and the military are usually the ones who get to fight them. . . .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While I agree with your opinion of Clinton and ODL, what's your particular beef with Bush 43? From everything I know, he quietly visited wounded soldiers at Walter Reed, quietly honored the dead as they were being unloaded here in the States, funded the Rapid Fielding Initiative, and generally respected and treated his military staffers well. If you're talking about the War on Terror, well, wars happen and the military are usually the ones who get to fight them. . . .

1) The VA. It hasn't gotten any better under Obama, but it didn't get any better under 2nd Bush either. I won't go into detail, but I'll pay for my own knee replacement when it gets too bad rather than deal with those asshats again.

2) Fighting wars when you don't have the troops for it. You can't send the same man into the war zone over and over and over and not grind him into the dirt. No other war has put the US military in that position.

3) Ties into #2, and will sound odd coming from a former contractor, too much reliance on contractors. Contractors make war a lot more palatable than draftees, and help further disengage the civilian population from the military.

4) Lack of vision. Maybe he didn't screw us like Clinton, and personal visits and the like are nice, but what did he fix?

Wars do happen, but this country doesn't act like a country at war. Bush isn't solely responsible by a long shot, but there is such a minority of people with skin in the game that it makes it easier to go to war for BS reasons. No draft, no rationing, tiny percentage of the population actually serving, it all adds up to a country that has totally forgotten we've been at war for over a decade.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Can someone show me where BHO, personally, made this decision? Or was it the decision of someone at the Pentagon because they're slowly removing troops and support out of the country?

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I like MREs, but probably not if I had to eat them all the time. I was part of a group that had to camp at a remote location and all we had were boxes of government supplied MREs for our meals. I always tried to get the pork rib, mmmmm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    VA

The ranks of veterans waiting more than a year for their benefits grew from 11,000 in 2009, the first year of Obama’s presidency, to 245,000 in December – an increase of more than 2,000 percent.

the average wait time for veterans filing disability claims fell by more than a third under President George W. Bush, even as more than 320,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans filed disability claims.

So the Obama apologists above appear to be incorrect.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    VA

So the Obama apologists above appear to be incorrect.

How many more wounded vets came into the system? Of course wait times increased when no one expanded the system and the number of users dramatically increased. No, Bush and Obama both screwed returning vets, and that's the simple truth of it.

Besides which, applications for disabilities isn't all the VA does. You'll note they also run the VA hospitals. I was there, I saw how the VA worked (or actually, didn't work) for injured vets. Like I said, I was able to walk with a cane so I stood. When the waiting room doesn't have enough seats for everyone there for treatment, that's shameful and just because a Republican was in office doesn't make it better, nor is it being an apologist for Obama to speak the truth of what I saw. I will spend my own money to have my knee replaced instead of EVER stepping foot inside a VA facility again after the SHAMEFUL way I and thousands of other vets were treated.

It was disgusting the way I saw older vets treated. More than a decade later it still makes my blood boil to see how the WWII and Vietnam guys were being treated. Dismiss it as "incorrect" if you want, but if you weren't there do some research first.

Google Walter Reed Problems and see how vets were treated in one of the military's "top tier" medical facilities during Bush's tenure and tell me that's ok. That exact same stuff was going on in VA hospitals across the country.

Post all the statistics you want to make yourself feel better, call me whatever names you feel makes my statements conform to your world view but I stand by my statements. I was there, I saw it, and I paid the price in a limp when I'm tired.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    1) The VA. It hasn't gotten any better under Obama, but it didn't get any better under 2nd Bush either. I won't go into detail, but I'll pay for my own knee replacement when it gets too bad rather than deal with those asshats again.

2) Fighting wars when you don't have the troops for it. You can't send the same man into the war zone over and over and over and not grind him into the dirt. No other war has put the US military in that position.

3) Ties into #2, and will sound odd coming from a former contractor, too much reliance on contractors. Contractors make war a lot more palatable than draftees, and help further disengage the civilian population from the military.

4) Lack of vision. Maybe he didn't screw us like Clinton, and personal visits and the like are nice, but what did he fix?

Wars do happen, but this country doesn't act like a country at war. Bush isn't solely responsible by a long shot, but there is such a minority of people with skin in the game that it makes it easier to go to war for BS reasons. No draft, no rationing, tiny percentage of the population actually serving, it all adds up to a country that has totally forgotten we've been at war for over a decade.

Okay, so "fixing" has to be a component for you? "Fixing" is a matter of "funding" and "funding" is a matter for Congress. The VA is a broken system, overloaded by the combination of aging WWII, Korean, and Vietnam vets and a new war where medical advances have created more surviving "maimed" vets than dead soldiers. More money might, or might not, fix the problem, but Bush addressed it, anyway, as I recall.

And as for a larger military to fight our wars; there's plenty of blame to go around - Bush 41 didn't fight too hard against the "Peace Dividend" after the "official" end of the Cold War towards the end of his Presidency. Bush 43 didn't have the votes to expand the military again even if the national environment had encouraged such an expansion. The fact is, the Democrats have pushed for decreases in military spending to offset their increases in domestic giveaways since the days of Vietnam. Only Reagan was popular enough to successfully go against the Democrats on this battlefield, and we haven't had a Reagan on the national political scene since 1989.

In point of fact, there are all sorts of ways in which we can point out the failures of each President to "support the troops", but your implication is that Bush 43 was as guilty of disdaining our military as Clinton and ODL and that is just flat incorrect.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    First - please stop apologizing for Obama, he is currently "in-charge" and therefore responsible for what happens to the military wrt everything from meals to med care. He seems to love the trappings of office, how about he deals with some of the actual RESPONSIBILITY.

Second - please stop trying to justify his bad performance with Bush's bad performance, one does nothing to cancel the other and is a spurious argument and it makes you sound silly.

Third - If we are sending our military to the s***holes of the world, please give them hot meals as needed. All I've heard is a lot of BS thrown around to try to justify this thickheaded reduction in service to our soldiers.

billyramair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Columbus area
    I bet welfare recipients won't be getting any cuts, after all, their votes can't be conveniently lost or conveniently delayed until after an election, like soldiers overseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:patriot:

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    I bet welfare recipients won't be getting any cuts, after all, their votes can't be conveniently lost or conveniently delayed until after an election, like soldiers overseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:patriot:

AMEN, I see a lot of them everyday. No, they don't seem to think they are loosing anything.

Top Bottom