• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's the latest on the beating of the photographer by the Las Vegas Police Department. The link includes the original video which went viral last Spring.

LVPD internal investigation found that excessive force was used in making the false arrest. Civil litigation in still in the pre-litigation stage.

I do note that Crooks ran his mouth and that's why he got the beat down. Remember, running your mouth does not help you. The sound waves are not a shield.

Police inquiry reveals violations in arrest, beating of videographer - News - ReviewJournal.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I was wondering about this .... Some people in the video of the schizo/homeless man in cali were redferencing this incident. What a disgrace

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Multiple supervisors in Colling's chain of command will review the internal affairs report and decide his punishment, if any, Schofield said.

I do not understand this. From what I saw on the video, the matter should be turned over to a prosecutor.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Why do people keep bringing up these isolated incidents? Don't they know that isolated incidents happen every day?

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Rogue police are always scared of the camera. I know several good cops that carry their own mini dv cams (that clip onto their vests or shirt pocket). They have no fear of the camera in fact, like I said, carry one around with them themselves. It helps with false complaints.

I don't understand though why they keep doing this, so far each incident has received national attention and large sums of money have been paid out by the cities. It's like they don't learn. It was happening so much in NY that it was a running joke that if you want to make a quick buck you could go to the subway and take photos then sue the transit police when they arrested you (they were paying out 30k a pop for each violation).

Up in Indy they arrested a guy for refusing to give up his video and the judge wound up dismissing the case. IMPD is probably going to be sued as well (if they haven't already paid out a settlement).

Advance Indiana: Arrest For Contempt Of Police: It Happened In Indianapolis

Of course this was following on the heels of the arrest of the 23 year IMPD vet told a fellow officer that "if he knew a fellow officer was recorded on a video doing something wrong he would destroy the video for them."

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-indi...y-official-misconduct-20110429,0,847178.story

It is really getting quite insane out there.

Here is what's really scary.

IL is one of the few states left that is still charging people for recording public officials (police officers) without their knowledge or permission. Note that other states that have attempted this have had the charges dismissed and with very pointed statements by the judge about the fact that public officials have no expectation of privacy while performing their duties.

In IL they will arrest you under their eavesdropping or wiretapping charges. There are about 7 or so cases that are supposed to go to trial sometime in the near future about this. People who have come to the police to report misconduct using their video as evidence get arrested when they present that evidence. Basically in IL, if you video a police officer beating someone to death and then take that video to the police or the prosecutor, you will be arrested for a felony, unless of course the officer who was committing the crime gave you permission to video him..now THAT is insane. Of course the prosecutors don't say anything about police recording citizens via dashcams (with audio recording capabilities) or otherwise without their permission, I guess they are just above the law, but then again IL has a long history of corruption in government.

Hopefully they will get one of these cases to the supreme court level and fix what is a clear abuse of power, the probably being is that everyone up till now has been accepting lower plea deals because they do not want to risk the felony conviction.

Last edited:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    They keep doing that because there is no downside for the doughnut eater. Even in the rare case they get caught nothing happens to them. The taxpayers that they despise get to foot the bill for their corruption. And they get a paid vacation a promotion and a medal from the head oinker.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Rogue police are always scared of the camera. I know several good cops that carry their own mini dv cams (that clip onto their vests or shirt pocket). They have no fear of the camera in fact, like I said, carry one around with them themselves. It helps with false complaints.

I don't understand though why they keep doing this, so far each incident has received national attention and large sums of money have been paid out by the cities. It's like they don't learn. It was happening so much in NY that it was a running joke that if you want to make a quick buck you could go to the subway and take photos then sue the transit police when they arrested you (they were paying out 30k a pop for each violation).

Up in Indy they arrested a guy for refusing to give up his video and the judge wound up dismissing the case. IMPD is probably going to be sued as well (if they haven't already paid out a settlement).

Advance Indiana: Arrest For Contempt Of Police: It Happened In Indianapolis

Of course this was following on the heels of the arrest of the 23 year IMPD vet told a fellow officer that "if he knew a fellow officer was recorded on a video doing something wrong he would destroy the video for them."

Indianapolis Police Officer Arrested: Veteran IMPD officer accused of stealing from drivers during traffic stops - fox59.com

It is really getting quite insane out there.

Here is what's really scary.

IL is one of the few states left that is still charging people for recording public officials (police officers) without their knowledge or permission. Note that other states that have attempted this have had the charges dismissed and with very pointed statements by the judge about the fact that public officials have no expectation of privacy while performing their duties.

In IL they will arrest you under their eavesdropping or wiretapping charges. There are about 7 or so cases that are supposed to go to trial sometime in the near future about this. People who have come to the police to report misconduct using their video as evidence get arrested when they present that evidence. Basically in IL, if you video a police officer beating someone to death and then take that video to the police or the prosecutor, you will be arrested for a felony, unless of course the officer who was committing the crime gave you permission to video him..now THAT is insane. Of course the prosecutors don't say anything about police recording citizens via dashcams (with audio recording capabilities) or otherwise without their permission, I guess they are just above the law, but then again IL has a long history of corruption in government.

Hopefully they will get one of these cases to the supreme court level and fix what is a clear abuse of power, the probably being is that everyone up till now has been accepting lower plea deals because they do not want to risk the felony conviction.
    If in Illinois you should take your video to several news stations first.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    If in Illinois you should take your video to several news stations first.

You would have to if you wanted to avoid arrest. Have to submit it anonymously. Mailed in from a different state if possible, no prints on the envelope lol. Sounds paranoid but I am sure IL would be doing whatever the could to find out who turned in any video.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    They keep doing that because there is no downside for the doughnut eater. Even in the rare case they get caught nothing happens to them. The taxpayers that they despise get to foot the bill for their corruption. And they get a paid vacation a promotion and a medal from the head oinker.

I would have to agree. There is a huge lack of accountability.

Top Bottom