• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I had a FNP-40 for a couple of years. I loved the pistol and feel of it. My only issue with it was the mags rattled. It made it annoying to carry. I contacte FNH, I was told this is a known issue that has no resolution. I ultimatly sold it to pick up a Glock 23 RTF-2 Fish gill. I would like to pick up another one in the future just to have one.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I had a FNP-40 for a couple of years. I loved the pistol and feel of it. My only issue with it was the mags rattled. It made it annoying to carry. I contacte FNH, I was told this is a known issue that has no resolution. I ultimatly sold it to pick up a Glock 23 RTF-2 Fish gill. I would like to pick up another one in the future just to have one.

Nary a rattle on my FNS. Newer design mag, maybe?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've got the FNP trifecta (9, 40, 45) and love them all. I carry the 9 in the summer and 45 in the winter. They are in a small group of guns I own that will never be sold. I made the mistake of trading the .40 at one point and ended up buying it back from the guy 2 weeks later.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    On the first part: Good. Local boards tend to have the "I just bought XYZ pistol, why are so many people loving them or why aren't police/military/secret squirrels using them?" Yours didn't have that. :)

Mechanically, there are MORE parts in the FNS. Try taking apart the striker assembly, you'll find what I mean.

As for "recent fame": Boredom maybe? People have more choices than ever! But also, if you sell two pistols as opposed to 1 last year, that could be considered a "swell in interest". They are nice though!

The FNS are more ergonomic (in my hand at least) than a Glock, but after shooting both, I'll stick with my G19: More parts, easier to obtain parts, cheaper and more prolific magazines, etc... The basic Glock design remains unchanged where FN decides to change from the FNP-9, to the FNX-9 to the FNS-9 with only a few similarities twixt them. I can take most parts from a Gen 1-4 Glock and fit them into a Gen 1-4 Glock (most parts, not all however).

I'm not bashing the FNS, but have no real reason to migrate to another platform that's larger and less option oriented than other firearms.

Took the striker out today to clean the channel. Yep, it's more complicated than a Glock's, but I also noted that it's got a spring in front of the striker as well as behind to give the striker rebound off the primer after striking - looks like a way to keep out of battery firing out of the picture in the case of a failure to reset or something?

Top Bottom