• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm flying on Thursday, and haven't yet bought a case for my handguns. Upon reading the regs, it appears that if I put a lock on the cases my guns came in (I'm going to be carrying a Taurus and a CZ) they will serve as legal cases according to the TSA regs. They're hard sided, can be locked, and aren't easily pryed apart on the side. That said, I don't want any problems. Has anyone else flown with the factory cases, and do you have any general advice for me concerning flying with guns.

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    I flew from Washington state and back a few times with no problems. I just carried my Kimber Ultra Carry in the factory Kimber case. If it has a spot for two locks on the case then you have to have two locks. Other than that when you get to the check in, tell them you would like to "declare a firearm". They make you open the case and lock it back up. No big deal. Hope that helps.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Has anyone else flown with the factory cases, and do you have any general advice for me concerning flying with guns.

I have not flown with pistols in the factory cases, but have used aftermarket cases of a similar nature without problems.

Advice: Don't forget the magic words "I would like to declare a firearm" when you're checking in. Also, depending on what the current procedure is, you may want to leave the lock on the gun case unlatched so that TSA can inspect the bag and then latch it. Saves you from having to go downstairs with the key, or worse having your lock cut off. :xmad: I haven't flown with firearms since about 2003, so protocols may have changed. The procedure may also vary from airport to airport, depending on where the TSA station is located.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have flown several times with my Glock. Make sure the locks are TSA approved or it will cause a delay. Also all ammunition must be in an approved container. Make sure it's in the original box it came in. The box you have the gun locked in is best locked in your suitcase.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have flown several times with my Glock. Make sure the locks are TSA or it will cause a delay. Also all ammunition must be in an approved container. Make sure it's in the original box it came in. The box you have the gun locked in is best locked in your suitcase.

NO, per TSA guidelines, you should be the only one with the key to the locked gun case. Any locks on a suitcase must be TSA approved.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Factory cases are completely ok from the TSA's point of view as long as you can lock it with a lock only you have a key for. Don't let the key out of your sight. You go where it goes or they don't get your key. The major reason for a better case would be to prevent any water or other dirt from getting into an unsealed container. I don't worry about it because i never travel with anything better than my XD.

Just make sure:
    1. Pistol is unloaded
    2. Pistol case is locked with lock only you have key to
    3. Ammo stored per airline regulation (TSA doesn't care whether its in the same container as the pistol or even in the same suitcase. Some airlines do care. I generally pack the ammo separate from the pistol case but in the same luggage as the pistol case tucked in with some other stuff so its not visible.)
    4. Declare pistol when checking luggage (generally they want to see that pistol is unloaded, but not always)
    5. Sign tag and place where gate agent says (either in locked pistol case or on top of locked pistol case). Never place tag in visible location outside of bag.
    6. Know your airlines regulations regarding ammo and pistols, print it and take it with you.
    7. Be polite, but firm in getting things straightened out.
    8. Generally the gate agents in Indy will take your bag, put it on the conveyor and tell you to wait outside of security (after passing through it) for the all clear. Beware, this process varies from airport to airport.

Any other questions please feel free to ask. It is really quite simple and you should have very few problems.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Listen to hoosiertrinagle, there was a smattering of bad advise above that. Do not leave case unlocked, must be locked with a lock for which only you have the key. The TSA locks DO NOT meet this definition. The locked hard sided gun may be in soft side luggage. NEVER EVER PASS THROUGH A SECURITY CHECKPOINT WITH THE GUN. BE SURE TO DECLARE AT DESK, SIGN AND PLACE DECLARATION IN CASE.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    :+1: These directions are 100% correct. I flew to Texas last year with my pistol and followed these same directions. I upgraded to a nice pistol case, but it was overkill. I had an agent ask for my key to the locked pistol case, but I refused to give it to him (this is technically illegal) and told him to just call me if I was needed to open the case. I also put a note on my luggage tag (name showing only) with a sharpie to PLEASE CALL BEFORE OPENING and my cell number.

Plano makes a $5 triangle gun case with a single lock point that would have sufficed, but most factory cases are fine. Just make sure the edges cannot be easily pried open.

Factory cases are completely ok from the TSA's point of view as long as you can lock it with a lock only you have a key for. Don't let the key out of your sight. You go where it goes or they don't get your key. The major reason for a better case would be to prevent any water or other dirt from getting into an unsealed container. I don't worry about it because i never travel with anything better than my XD.

Just make sure:
    1. Pistol is unloaded
    2. Pistol case is locked with lock only you have key to
    3. Ammo stored per airline regulation (TSA doesn't care whether its in the same container as the pistol or even in the same suitcase. Some airlines do care. I generally pack the ammo separate from the pistol case but in the same luggage as the pistol case tucked in with some other stuff so its not visible.)
    4. Declare pistol when checking luggage (generally they want to see that pistol is unloaded, but not always)
    5. Sign tag and place where gate agent says (either in locked pistol case or on top of locked pistol case). Never place tag in visible location outside of bag.
    6. Know your airlines regulations regarding ammo and pistols, print it and take it with you.
    7. Be polite, but firm in getting things straightened out.
    8. Generally the gate agents in Indy will take your bag, put it on the conveyor and tell you to wait outside of security (after passing through it) for the all clear. Beware, this process varies from airport to airport.

Any other questions please feel free to ask. It is really quite simple and you should have very few problems.

Top Bottom