• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Has anyone flown out of O'Hare or Midway and gone through the process of checking a firearm. I have read the TSA guidelines and a couple of individuals experiences with this....I was just curious if anyone on INGO has done this. I'm flying to Arizona in a couple of weeks and would like to bring a carry pistol. Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I avoid Ohare like the plague. Mainly due to delays. I have never flown through Ohare but if you are flying through and do not have to touch your checked in baggage, no problem.

Flying out of Ohare???? Big question I would want to hear also. There was a case in New York of a guy flying into New York and his final destination was out of state. He was arrested but won his case since his final destination was not New York. As paranoid as Illinois is, I would ship the firearm to yourself at your destination and not risk the hassle.

Anyone else can chime in here and correct me.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I avoid Ohare like the plague. Mainly due to delays. I have never flown through Ohare but if you are flying through and do not have to touch your checked in baggage, no problem.

Flying out of Ohare???? Big question I would want to hear also. There was a case in New York of a guy flying into New York and his final destination was out of state. He was arrested but won his case since his final destination was not New York. As paranoid as Illinois is, I would ship the firearm to yourself at your destination and not risk the hassle.

Anyone else can chime in here and correct me.

I agree about the O'Hare thing...I'm trying to work out Southwest from Midway.....I found this article on cutom-glock.com...He mentions Midway...I think I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. Anyway, it seems like he has the system down. Oh yeah....then there is transporting the pistol to the airport....i'll have to look into that..
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]This article does not constitute legal advice and CGR assumes no liability for its misuse. It is for information purposes only. The following only applies to Domestic US airtravel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]From custom-glock.com [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"First and foremost you need to do your own homework. Check with your own airline for additional restrictions, ammo and bag weight limits etc. It is also a good idea to check with TSA for any new regulations before flying.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The following recommendations are based solely on my personal experiences flying with guns primarily on Southwest Airlines.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Go to your airline and the TSA website and print out any relevant info or regulations so you have it on hand in case something comes up at the airport.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Get to the airport early. With the long lines these days it never hurts to have some extra time for any unforeseen hassles due to checking firearms.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Be nice and polite to the agent, even if they don’t know the regulations. You don’t want your luggage to end up in Hawaii when you are going to Miami.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Put your guns in a hard sided lockable case. I like to use a 3 layer box approximately 12x6x6. I can put multiple guns and mags in the case and they are well protected. I put the hard case inside of my standard duffel bag so that nothing on the outside indicates something of value like a gun.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Tape all ammo boxes closed. It really sucks when you get to where you are going and find loose ammo everywhere.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I usually wait until the baggage tags have been printed then tell the agent the following “I would like to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage”. At this point they will usually want to inspect it to make sure it is unloaded. Try to be discreet and shield your bag/guns with your body and show the agent the empty magwell and chamber or cylinder.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The agent will have you fill out a tag that basically states that the gun is unloaded and then place it inside your hardcase with the gun. Lock the case and put it back in your bag. I also recommend a lock or HD ziptie on your exterior bag.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Stay with your bag. After you are done with the agent your bags will likely be X-rayed. Stay nearby and keep an eye on your bag. The TSA folks may want to inspect it and I like to be present if they do. I don’t let my bags out of my sight until they hit the belt to take them the great luggage maze deep inside the airport.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Some airports are now putting a tag on the outside of the bag to let the TSA folks know that you declared the gun. Do not let them put anything on the outside of your bag that identifies it as having a firearm inside. It is illegal.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Last year at Midway they gave me a piece of paper to show the agent and that was actually a great idea. On the other hand I had to go through 3 southwest supervisors and 3 TSA folks at one airport before they would remove a firearms tag from the outside of my bag. They said it was just so the TSA agent would know that the gun was declared and then they would remove it but its still against the law and makes your bag high profile. They the left tag on a friend’s bag I was traveling with that day, so that everyone who saw the bag could easily tell that it contained firearms.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If you plan to check several guns and ammo weigh your bag before going to the airport and find out what your airlines policies are. Some only let you have 2 bags under 50 pounds while other let you have 3 bags up to 70 pounds plus 2 sporting cases in additon.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Overall flying with firearms is not a major hassle and fairly easy but remember to do your homework and it will be easier.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT] "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Federal Regulations[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]TSA | Transportation Security Administration[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I've not flown out of Ohare in close to 15 years (I now avoid Illinois like the plague) but I have flown out of Indy twice with firearms and haven't had any issues at all. Actually it was quite a pleasant experience.

I will say that flying into and out of Tampa was a little annoying because the TSA folks had more important things to do like stand around and BS for 30+ minutes instead of doing their job...all 15 of them. Glad I didn't have a connecting flight to catch. Not really a hassle, just annoying to wait for them for so long. Probalby more big vs. little airport customer service and or commercial vs. government workers.

Good luck with your travels.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I have read that if you are legal in both your source and destinations, that you can travel through any state without being "legal" in that state. I would assume you'd be better off with it locked up anyways (just like it was on the plane). Not sure if the city of Chicago can overrule those rules however...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    This is one of those deals where even if you're legal you can still get in trouble. City of Chicago claims "home rule" and pretty much believes Federal law does not apply to them. I lived in Illinois for twelve years and will never go back (especially with a handgun). If I were you I wouldn't take any chances. Reroute your travels or leave the gun at home. I feel your frustration.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    carry gun O'Hare

If you are connecting in O'Hare you are OK but listen up.... HANDGUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN COOK COUNTY ILLINOIS.... Don't even think about trying to put one (even declared) in your luggage that originates from ORD. The airline and TSA will be the least of your problems. From and american airport.... (anywhere other than The Peoples Republic of Cook County spelled with a K and Kalifornia) you are good. Just declare it and have a locking hard case. Depending on the airline there may be restrictions on ammo by the pound (usually 10 or less).

At the very least call the airline but understand they only know their policies not Kook Kounty rules.......

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Under the Firearm owner protection act as long as the firearm is lawful at the point of origin and at the destination then as long as it is unloaded and in a case and not immediately accessible or cased and disassembled in a non-functioning state.

If your origin is outside of Chicago and your destination is out of state you are covered under federal law. If your destination in within the state you do not have the protection of federal law.

Top Bottom