• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    I am going to Colorado in a week and will be taking my handgun with me. I have read and re-read the "guidlines" on the Southwest and TSA websites for transporting a firearm. My concern is the case that I will be transporting it in. I am wanting to use my factory case from Kimber which is hard plastic and lockable in 2 places via padlocks. Upon reading in various places online it seems this "should" be approved but not verified. I was wanting to get some input from locals that have flown in the past and have experience in this process.

Will my Kimber case be suffice?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The TSA test is: when your Kimber case is locked, can it be "easily pulled apart"?

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

As an infrequent flyer I love Pelican cases!

I purchased a yellow Pelican case that carries two 1911s and a J frame bug for $100 at the last Indy 1500. Heck, here's one for even less:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1450-Case-Foam-Yellow/dp/B0009EM6LI[/ame]

410l0sGIPmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have also traveled with my Pelican rifle case. Pelican is worth the investment.

What's the old saying, buy quality and pay once?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ok, how do you pack the magazines and ammo.

HGC, I pre-deploy my gun skul ammo. However, for the carry ammo and my mags, I pack them in my range bag.

I fly with a Waller range bag and use a mini-pad lock from a Ruger pistol I bought years ago (I have a drawer full of them) to lock all the zippers up so the baggage crew is not tempted.

Here's the most famous Waller range bag, in the back on the right, on the Internet (it has been in gun skul catalogues and on blogs across cyberspace):

range+day.JPG

E.g. when I flew to Dallas last month I had my range bag, my Pelican case and my Maxpedition Fliegerduffel. My ammo for the class was waiting for me at a grad school friend in Dallas. We met for dinner (for some reason it was sushi) and she bought the ammo with her. Chuck it in the back of the rental car and drive down to Alvarado--yeehaw.:D

Maxpedition fliegerduffel (Kirk seal of approval):

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, one last hint, always take the batteries out of your flashlights and ensure no pocket change is anywhere near the batteries!!!

(You guys know the story about Tiger McKee setting himself on fire like this, right?)

IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    I would have no problem with buying and using a pelican case. I am very familiar with them because of workl However we are going on a ski trip for a week and I am trying to pack it so it will fit in my luggage bag and I won't be charged for another piece of additional luggage plus stay under the 50lb. weight limit.

The case is not easily pulled open when it is latched but the locks do not snug against both sides of the case so if you were to loosen the latches then I think it would be easier to pull apart.

I have a larger case that my old XDm came in. I suppose I can cut some new foam to fit in it and take it instead.

Top Bottom