• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I had to fly home this past weekend. I flew Continental from Houston's Bush Airport to Ohare on Thursday. I read online how to package my gun and ammo, how to declare it at Bush. I told the woman at airline it was locked in its case then I dropped it off as regular luggage (cost me $18). When I arrived at Ohare I was just waiting for a stink with it being Chicago but no problems. I decided to ship it back rather than dealing with it at Ohare when I went back Sunday. I thought it would be more of a hassle than it was.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I think you made a good call with shipping it back. You know this made me think about how many air-marshals there are on any given flight? They obviously can't be everywhere. Are we really that well protected?

What about the pilots carrying guns...I mean how can they protect us when they are flying the plane and/or drunk from too many in the lounge?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

D.Kupp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Yeah that's very odd. I'm surprised they let you take it on board considering you'd land in a place where it was illegal. Peacable Journey, et al don't apply when you can't legally possess the handgun at your destination.

O'hare does actually happen to be inside city limits. The airport itself is connected to the city by a narrow "band" of city municipality.

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I recently traveled with a handgun through Reagan airport in D.C. I had a good conversation with the lady at the airport about it and she informed me that there shouldn't be any problems at any aiport in the U.S. as long as the gun remains unloaded and locked in your bag when being checked. Also...just always make sure you let them know you have it in advance. I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how easy the whole process was.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I fly out of Chicago regularly and have had no problems departing or returning on various airlines through both Midway or O'Hare.

I am an Indiana resident.

Buckaroo

D.Kupp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Don't get caught on your way there Buckaroo. Transporting it to another state via an airliner is not going to get you past the ban on handguns in the city.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Don't get caught on your way there Buckaroo. Transporting it to another state via an airliner is not going to get you past the ban on handguns in the city.

Federal Law says I can transport through any state while traveling to another. I do not stay overnight in the city I only travel through.

ETA Otherwise I would be arrested at the check-in counter when I declare my weapon.

Buckaroo

D.Kupp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    You physically stop in the City of Chicago and do not have your gun locked up in your trunk with the ammo locked up in a second storage area not within reach of the first? Peacable Journey requires separate locked storage, both not accessible from a single spot in your vehicle. Yes, you are allowed to transport a firearm in your vehicle. YOUR vehicle. Would you attempt this on a bus?

You are saying that if I'm ever caught in the City of Chicago that I can declare that I'm moving right through, even if I am out of my vehicle with the firearm no longer stored in two separate areas?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

You physically stop in the City of Chicago and do not have your gun locked up in your trunk with the ammo locked up in a second storage area not within reach of the first? Peacable Journey requires separate locked storage, both not accessible from a single spot in your vehicle. Yes, you are allowed to transport a firearm in your vehicle. YOUR vehicle. Would you attempt this on a bus?

You are saying that if I'm ever caught in the City of Chicago that I can declare that I'm moving right through, even if I am out of my vehicle with the firearm no longer stored in two separate areas?

There is case law on this unfortunately I can't find it at the moment, there was a man who was arrested at the airport in I think NY or NJ and was charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, he was found guilty but it was overturned on appeal and found that he was covered under the fed peaceable journey law, since the airport was not his final destination and the stop was required to continue his trip.

As for being caught in Chicago, it would depend, are you at the airport with the gun in a suitcase on your way to check in? Yes you would be covered. If you were out of your vehicle other than that with the firearm probably not.

Also where do you get that they both have to be locked up in separate areas? That is not required under fed law. Perhaps in Texas maybe?

Title 18 Section 926(a). The peaceable journey law.
    TITLE 18–CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    PART I–CRIMES
    CHAPTER 44–FIREARMS
    Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    Since I've worked in the airline industry for years. I've had my checked bags gone through, but nothing was stolen, they must not have liked my Batman Underoos. LOL, just kidding... Plus, I've watched the baggage handlers mistreat the baggage time and again. I've been told that there has been numerous accounts of handlers going through baggage and stealing. From various airlines and airports. I am glad that those of you that travel with your firearms have had no problems. I don't think I can do it, I would be a nervous wreck!

D.Kupp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Well I'll believe it since you've seen case law. I'm not the type to insiste you dig it up for me. We're all here to share information and I thank you for that.

I had no idea you could stop along the way. I have heard they expect you to move right along through an area you're not supposed to be in.

Did we glaze right over the first clause of this law though?

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof,"

This means "you can until someone else with authority says you can't"

Also, reread that entire copy and paste job of yours.

It clearly states the ammunition and firearm must be kept separate where not readily accessible or directly accessible. In an unlocked case IS directly accessible. And when they are not locked in the trunk and are perhaps in a suitcase in your backseat, they MUST be locked up. So either locked in the trunk or locked up in a suitcase in your vehicle. That's "locked" to me and that's why I said "locked". Separate was meant to be conveyed as separate areas.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    My weapons travel to the Chicago airports just as they are checked in at the airport; locked in a hard case with ammo locked in a separate hard case.

Buckaroo

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I had all my ammo in original box as air line rules, not locked in any case and it was fine. I had my dad ship it back so i could carry my luggage on, I really dont think it would have been a problem at Ohare.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I had all my ammo in original box as air line rules, not locked in any case and it was fine. I had my dad ship it back so i could carry my luggage on, I really dont think it would have been a problem at Ohare.

I agree that you will have no problems at O'Hare or Midway. You are correct about not needing to have locked storage for your ammo, I just have extra cases so that is what I do.

I never have shipped a handgun to myself but I know it is quite a bit more expensive to ship handguns legally than to check your baggage.

Buckaroo

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Did we glaze right over the first clause of this law though?

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof,"

This means "you can until someone else with authority says you can't"

No. That means "it doesn't matter what state/local law says, we're giving you permission". If not then there is absolutely no point to the law.

It would make no sense at all to say that state A law says no firearms allowed but federal law says that as long as you're just passing through state A you're legal, EXCEPT that you're not legal because state A says no firearms allowed.

Also, reread that entire copy and paste job of yours.

It clearly states the ammunition and firearm must be kept separate where not readily accessible or directly accessible. In an unlocked case IS directly accessible. And when they are not locked in the trunk and are perhaps in a suitcase in your backseat, they MUST be locked up. So either locked in the trunk or locked up in a suitcase in your vehicle. That's "locked" to me and that's why I said "locked". Separate was meant to be conveyed as separate areas.

Unless you mean "separate" as in "the ammo separated from the gun" as in "unloaded" then that is not required. There is no requirement to store the ammo separate from the gun as long as the gun is not loaded. You can have the ammo in the same container as the gun as long as there is no bullet in the gun & they are not accessible or they are in a locked container.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

This is absolutley WRONG. I fly for a living and take my firearm everywhere, and I'm not an FDO. So does my girlfriend. You have the right to travel through on your way to any other destination. If your final destination was Chicago (not some suburb) and the police caught you outside the airport then you could face trouble. The airline could care less where your destination is once you leave the airport and have no way of knowing anyway. You are covered by Peacable Journey laws. Just because you change your mode of transportation does not mean your are not protected and have violated the law because you land in Chicago.

Flying with a handgun in checked baggage is easy, as long as you follow the rules. Don't try to sneak it through without declaring it and you will be fine.

Top Bottom