• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm going out west and am flying out on Delta. A co-worker has checked his handgun in the past (unsure what airline) and he didn't have any problems at IND, but different airports have different rules. In Orlando he had to follow the clerk who took his bag into some far off location and the inspector opened it up and basically searched everything. Sounds like some airport boards just want to make it as difficult as possible. One thing I don't like about Delta's rules are that they now put a special show ID and pick-up indicator on the bag. It isn't a "firearm inside" tag, just a special tag that tells baggage handlers to put the case in a special baggage pick-up area. I think anyone can ask for this, like if one had costly electronics or something. I don't think it would be such an issue at larger airports, but we are flying into a regional airport and sometimes they are short staffed. Of course I don't want to have to wait 30 minutes, and maybe longer, to get my bag. Plus, I'm also now wondering just how many of these "special pick-ups" are requested and if it is basically known to baggage clerks that this tag likely means a 90% chance there is a gun in the case. I only have soft sided cases, so the locked metal case would be inside, easy enough to just steal. I read a post on here a few years back of a guy who said his firearm was stolen. I'm just wondering if anyone has flown Delta and checked a handgun anytime recently and how was it? It seems their policy changed after the airport shooting down in Florida (from what I gather from on-line sources).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    From: https://www.delta.com/content/www/e...s/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

• Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
    • Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
    • All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
    • Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
    • Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
    • Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
    • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
    • You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.
    • If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
    • Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
    • Customer must be 18 years of age or older
    • All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm.
    The following types of ammunition are not accepted:

• Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
    • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
    • Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
    Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:

• Pistol telescopes
    • Noise suppressors
    • A small pistol tool case
    • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
    Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:

• One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
    • The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
    • Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
    • One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
    • One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
    • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
    An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    It can be unnerving at first to enter an airport with your handgun in your luggage, but it really is no big deal at all. In the simplest terms, I follow these steps:

• Place unloaded handgun in a lockable hard-sided case
    • Keep ammo seperated from the firearm in its manufacturer's box
    • Lock gun case with a lock that requires keys and have those keys on you (I use 2 locks that share a single key)
    • Place gun case in the bag to be checked
    • When arriving at the ticketing counter, announce to the attendant that you have a gun to check
    • Follow attendant's instructions, which usually includes showing that the firearm is unloaded.
    • Re-Lock the case after attaching the issued firearm tag and place it back into the checked luggage
    • Fly to your destination (Be sure that you can carry your firearm at the destination, I.e, Don't fly to NY City New Jersey, Comifornia and such)
    • Pick up your bag on the carousel as per usual and leave the airport directly

I have flown most airlines with the setup pictured below.

zxW0Dl3l.jpg

In answer to your Delta specific question:

A few months ago, I flew from Indianapolis to Raleigh, NC on Delta and had no issues or delays... Easy peasy.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've got a set-up down. My main concern was after the fact, specifically this Delta requirement: "All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm." At first I thought that maybe a bar code on the tag would just automatically cause a sort machine to divert it. I read further on-line and Delta is placing additional tags, ribbons, stickers or something on the bag and that is supposed to tell the handlers that this bag goes X and not to the luggage carousel. My co-worker has flown different airlines and has had no issues as they are just putting the bag with the others and you just pick it up off the conveyor.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    As of May that was the policy. I had to go to the Delta office at CVG to pick up my bag.

Yeah that sounds new as a policy, but years ago I had a cop check my ID at the baggage claim when I picked up my bag at the carousel with a declared firearm in it. Only ever happened once. Only consistent issue IÂ’ve had flying with firearms on Delta is that on my return trips I canÂ’t check in online, especially at MSP. Been flying to not so gun friendly areas lately so havenÂ’t checked a firearm in a while.

I agree with the guidelines others suggested above, I would add to also be mindful of reciprocity in the city of your connection if you have one. Last thing you want is to have a connection in LGA or ORD that gets cancelled and your bag with a handgun hits the carousel. IÂ’ve read of people going to jail in that scenario.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've flown multiple airlines in the past few years with firearms and I've always had to claim them with ID at the baggage office of the respected airline. Even that way back in my military days in 2005-10. I always fly with a rifle case with my pistol and an ar for good measure on business trips tho. Last time I ended up on a hog hunt in Oklahoma :D. I wouldn't worry too much about theft, airlines have sophisticated tracking on all baggage now. Delta tells me when mine gets loaded onto the airplane through the app. It's honestly easier picking it up from the office. Dallas had me claim it at a special conveyer a hefty walk from the carousel that had my other luggage, month long trip I had a lot of bags.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The problem is that with any of the airlines there is a 50/50 chance that a bag specially tagged to go to the baggage claim office will actually wind up on the carousel with all of the other bags and anyone can pick it up and walk away with it. At least the last time I was in the Indy airport there was no requirement to show I.D. to pick up a bag from the carousel and head right out the door with it. I have seen passengers standing in the baggage claim office waiting for a specially tagged bag which never shows up in the office only to find it going around out on the carousel. If you throw bags all day long it's very easy for one that is tagged to go to the office to get missed and tossed with all the other bags and wind up on the carousel. Many times the tags get torn off while being handled. There's just too many bags and not enough time to carefully look at them. You would be amazed at all of the junk in aircraft holds that fell off of or out of people's bags. Then there is the fact that many bags get loaded onto the wrong aircraft and go to Cleveland or somewhere and are missing for hours. If you are traveling with ANY valuables in baggage - insure it. And DO NOT use a TSA lock on your gun's case no matter who tells you to use one - it is against the law. If the TSA clowns want to look inside your baggage they are quite willing and able to remove any kind of lock you place on it. DO NOT give the key or combination to ANYONE else. Not the TSA or the airline. You MUST be present if they want to open it. TSA agents are neither trained or allowed to touch ANY firearm. They can look at it or "sniff" it only. By law they cannot touch it. In other words you could pack a loaded firearm in a case and they would never know. The ticketing agent is "supposed" to ensure that it is unloaded but they almost never do because they don't know anything about firearms either. In all of the years I used to fly with guns I only had one ticket agent actually asked to see if the chamber was empty. The other agents didn't want to even look at a gun and looked as though they were going to faint when you told them you had a gun to declare. The entire process is a joke.

Last edited:

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I just returned from vacation on Delta last week. It was my first time flying with firearms. I did lots of reading beforehand, too. At the check-in desk, I just told them that I have something to declare in my bag when I set it on the scale. I was asked if it was unloaded and locked. They asked if any ammunition was boxed and stored separately. They had me sign an orange card and place it inside the suitcase. It really was as easy as everyone says.
    When I arrived in Billings, MT (a not-too-big airport) I had to pick up my bag at the ticket counter and show both my baggage claim ticket and photo ID. It did have an additional tag on the handle stating not to be on the carousel.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Update: I just read that The TSA has posted a change on their website regarding the type of lock you may use on the gun case. Before they said "No TSA lock" Now they say "Any kind of lock you want" So they apparently are still not bothered at all about cutting off a lock to look at a gun they may not touch. Keep in mind this rule ONLY applies to getting through the TSA checkpoint. The air carrier and the air terminal may have additional rules. The Pilot in Command of the aircraft has the final word on anything or any person loaded into his aircraft regardless of laws or regulations. If he says no - it don't go. Even if you have a Federal badge he can say no.

Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have never, ever put a TSA lock on my gun case and never had to. I have had locks cut off of my suit case, both TSA approved and non TSA locks. I like the idea of a special designation being placed on my checked bag.

Update: I just read that The TSA has posted a change on their website regarding the type of lock you may use on the gun case. Before they said "No TSA lock" Now they say "Any kind of lock you want" So they apparently are still not bothered at all about cutting off a lock to look at a gun they may not touch. Keep in mind this rule ONLY applies to getting through the TSA checkpoint. The air carrier and the air terminal may have additional rules. The Pilot in Command of the aircraft has the final word on anything or any person loaded into his aircraft regardless of laws or regulations. If he says no - it don't go. Even if you have a Federal badge he can say no.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

If TSA needs into your gun case you get called to the checkpoint. They will not cut them because then it cannot get loaded onto the aircraft without them and most agents if not all are not allowed to mess with them beyond moving the case from conveyor to loader. Cutting the locks would surely involve the airport police. Indianapolis the ticketing agent will staple your gun claim to your boarding pass and TSA should pull you aside once you clear the checkpoint if you clear it before your gun clears downstairs. DFW the ticketing agent goes to the TSA check with you and they swab the case for whatever they are looking for in front of you, incase it needs to be opened. The only time it really needs opened is for the ticketing agent to put the firearms tag inside the case. The ticketing agent will make sure the gun and case are in accordance with their policies (they basically just quickly look for loose ammunition). Once your gun clears TSA there is maybe a .00001 percent chance of the crew/airline denying the loading of the gun on board. The tsa check is literally just a swab, and a trip through a machine like the one your carry on goes through.

Top Bottom