• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    We got a dog about three weeks ago and have found a few fleas on him over the last couple of days. He is itching like crazy. This is my wife's first pet and she is ready to burn the house down to get rid of them. She called the vet this afternoon and they want to give him a pill called Trifexis. It seems to have a lot of side effects. Anyone give this to your dog? Does your dog have any issues with this pill?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We called the vet, gave them the dogs' weights, and they gave me a pill that lasted 30 days for our pups, and the fleas were off them in 48 hours. Then winter hit, and we moved.

I don't think trifexis was it. Best bet honestly is to listen to your vet, and treat your home and yard ASAP.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    We had a flea invasion last year. After we liberally sprinkled 20 mule team borax on all the floors, furniture, bedding (pets and people) the fleas were gone. Don't vacuum it up try to work it into the carpet and fabric. It did not affect our dogs or cat in any way and had the added benefit of killing any other insect that traveled thru it.

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    We had a flea invasion last year. After we liberally sprinkled 20 mule team borax on all the floors, furniture, bedding (pets and people) the fleas were gone. Don't vacuum it up try to work it into the carpet and fabric. It did not affect our dogs or cat in any way and had the added benefit of killing any other insect that traveled thru it.

Boric acid works excellent, and is probably cheaper. I buy it at Rural King. Does an excellent job killing roaches also.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Comfortis for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

they'll be dead by morning. (Ha, the fleas i mean, not spot, fluffy, and fido)

^^^ This^^^ Works very well with my dogs.

One of my dogs had a very bad reaction to Frontline before. It scared the hell out of me so I won't use it anymore. And as mentioned before, vacuum. And as mentioned by 88GT empty your vacuum outside because the vibration from you vacuum cleaner will actually cause the flea eggs to hatch, and you don't want freshly hatched fleas sitting around in the house until you take the garbage out.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Well, with my Govt Shutdown induced 'Free Time' (I'm actually not complaining) I have the chance to give the house the full treatment again today. Anybody want to lay down some covering fire as I head into battle ? :):

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm going scorched earth approach on these fleas!!!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    We got a dog about three weeks ago and have found a few fleas on him over the last couple of days. He is itching like crazy. This is my wife's first pet and she is ready to burn the house down to get rid of them. She called the vet this afternoon and they want to give him a pill called Trifexis. It seems to have a lot of side effects. Anyone give this to your dog? Does your dog have any issues with this pill?
    my vet has tried to get me to switch to this, I just haven't
    Comfortis for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

they'll be dead by morning. (Ha, the fleas i mean, not spot, fluffy, and fido)

Comfortis is what we use on 3 dogs and 2 cats. No fleas in our house. I don't start treating fleas until I see them get them in the summer. One dose and within the 30 days the house and pets are good. It is important though that if you have fleas, treatment MUST continue for at least 3 mths.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    To attract/kill them you can get a shallow pan (throw away pie pans work good), mix warm water with dawn dish soap (the original blue liquid) in the pie pan. Place it on the ground under an electrical outlet with a night light plugged into it. When it's dark they will be attracted to the light and when they jump at it, they'll land in the soapy water and it'll kill em'.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is a (self) proven way to CATCH and kill fleas!
    Get some plug in night lights, plug them in outlets around the house down low (12 inches off floor).
    Under these lights, place some pans, plates, dishes, (I used white Frisbees, the white reflects the light and attracts the fleas) filled with a soap and water mixture.
    the fleas are attracted to the light, jump in, and drown.
    Very simple, safe, and works great!
    If you try this, come back and tell me how many fleas you catch in just ONE night. You will be amazed!

To attract/kill them you can get a shallow pan (throw away pie pans work good), mix warm water with dawn dish soap (the original blue liquid) in the pie pan. Place it on the ground under an electrical outlet with a night light plugged into it. When it's dark they will be attracted to the light and when they jump at it, they'll land in the soapy water and it'll kill em'.
    Has anyone tried this yet? I guarantee it works! No need to spray poison all over your house and around your kids (both two, and four legged).
    i do think the white or light colored containers work best.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

We do that but just as a gauge to see how well the vacuuming and other treatments are working.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Our Vet told us that they have seen better results with the the Triflexis than Comfortis for fleas. Also, Triflexis treats worms and intestinal parasites. The down side is the side effects. I have not read the side effects for Comfortis, but since taking the Triflexis pill last night our dog has been very timid and lethargic. He did have some shots yesterday, but my guess is that the pill is causing this. I will give it a day or so and see how he reacts.

Top Bottom