• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Help me understand something. I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I walked the jungle at night sometimes and I NEVER thought about have a bright light at the end of my barrel. I wouldn't even smoke cigarettes after dark. Why in the world would I want a spotlight on my weapon now? Too many TV shows show the good guys totally giving their position away while hunting the bad guys. A bright light might spoil the BG night vision but why give your position away? Or, could it just be another gimmic for the retailers to get your dollars?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I never thought I'd want a light on my weapon.

In fact, I'm not a fan of optics either. I like my guns uncomplicated and without all those accessories and projections that are sure to get snagged on clothing, brush, or whatever and hinder your movement.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Not an expert by any stretch of the mind, but leave the lights off. I think that we keep the advantage of knowing our homes when someone else enters as they will be trying to find the way around while we watch and then act appropriately.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'm not much of a fan for hanging accessories either, but target ID in the civilian world is a little different than in the jungle. This isn't a free fire zone,.....yet.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Weapons mounted lights are a must for tacticool TV. Even some of the best written and filmed shows / movies have the characters using lights that are completely unecessary simply because it's good for the big screen - so I wouldn't use what your watching on TV as an indicator of whether you need a light on a gun.

I'm not an expert but from my perspective and many hours on patrol I can tell you that I can't shoot what I can't see. Often times we are operating on unfamiliar territory and I can't navigate while engaging a threat if I can't see and a hand held light source does. It always fit the bill.

Spray and pray / fill the jungle with lead isn't the order of the day clearly as we (I) have to account for every round down range. I Personally like to see where / what I am shooting if possible and to dark to see with the naked eye.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I want a light so I can make sure I'm going to hit a bad guy and not a family member. Because that would just suck if I didn't identify my attacker before I pull that trigger.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Help me understand something. I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I walked the jungle at night sometimes and I NEVER thought about have a bright light at the end of my barrel. I wouldn't even smoke cigarettes after dark. Why in the world would I want a spotlight on my weapon now? Too many TV shows show the good guys totally giving their position away while hunting the bad guys. A bright light might spoil the BG night vision but why give your position away? Or, could it just be another gimmic for the retailers to get your dollars?

First and foremost, thank you for your service. :yesway:

Secondly, the situation and gear for home defense and police officers doing their job is a bit different than being hunted and going hunting in the jungle.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

In a combat zone in the forest where people are actively looking to kill you? Of course that's insane.

In your house in the middle of the night, identifying the target before shooting can mean the difference between killing a family member instead of a bad guy.

I'd say it's irresponsible not to use a light source of some sort on a home defense weapon.

I won't CCW with a weapon mounted light, but I always carry a suitable light with me.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I live out and need to see what I am shooting at. If I used the spray and pray style of shooting I could kill any thing from a raccoon to a neighbour. I use the light when I am shielded from the direction of the noise I am checking out.

The reason to check out such noises is to keep someone from breaking in to the car, truck or barn. If that isn't happening then no big deal. The light will tell me quickly what is going on from a safe spot. With no light you would have to get much closer to the barn, car or truck to see what was going on and you would be much more exposed.

Any time you decide to check out a noise you are putting yourself at risk. If someone wants to take you out all they have to do is shoot you coming out the door. My concern isn't for someone taking me out but looking for a easy score.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I agree that it's better to see what you might be shooting at, but a light on your gun isn't the only way to accomplish that.

In fact, even if you have a light on your gun, you would be irresponsible to not also have a light in your hand. If you only use the light on your gun, then you won't be able to shine the light on anything that you aren't also pointing your gun at.

If I was outside checking on something at night, and my neighbor was also, and if he shined his light on me, as well as pointing his gun at me, he and I would later have a very one-sided conversation.

Top Bottom