• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My job is not one that allows me to carry a defensive firearm. Based on the influence of INGO I decided that a good flashlight might be an option for me. Even though it cost a bit more then my original budget I decided to purchase a Surefire E2D LED Defender. It fits in the pocket of my work pants very well and I think it is quality light. In addition to being bright it should be rugged enough to offer other defensive options.

I often work late and today is no different. Right now I am the only one in the office. About 45 minutes ago I exited the back door to get something out of my truck. About 40 feet away from the back door were two unfamiliar vehicles, one with hood up. Two men appeared to be working on the cars. Our parking lot is behind the building and completely out of sight from any people passing by. The lot is lit, but dimly and has dark spots behind vehicles. Strange they would be back there instead of out front were the lighting is better. I immediately stopped and asked the two men at distance "Can I help you gentlemen". The reply is that they were simply working on the vehicle. The response was not threatening but certainly not polite. (Hard to be cheerful if your car is broken down I suppose) So, I immediately light up the area with the Surefire to identify the situation. Man can that thing throw a beam. The response is then "Sir I hope it alright if our car is parked here". To which I respond that it is. Then I used the light to look around and under my truck before approaching it.

I have no doubt that the two men were merely working on a broke vehicle. I did find it interesting how the response changed when I shined the light on them. At that point I had control of the situation. Best of all this was all done in a non-threatening manner. I also liked the fact that I could evaluate the situation at distance.

Every Person Should Carry a Good Light!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You mean to tell me that this situation couldn't have benefited from a warning shot across their bow? :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Had a bum walking up to me really fast at a gas station once after dark. I was armed but I yelled out to stop once and when he didn't (hood up, hands in pockets) I hit him with the stobe beam on my nitecore extreme. ~220lumens and it did the trick. He immediately stopped, reeled backwards with his hands up and swore as he asked what I did to him. He was probably on something but it fully convinced me that at night a bright tac-flashlight is a force to be reckoned with. I don't care how big and tough you are, a sudden blinding light to the retinas when your night vision is adjusted is tough to take. Great story and glad nothing bad came of it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You mean to tell me that this situation couldn't have benefited from a warning shot across their bow? :D

No, I might hit the apartments next door. :ar15:I prefer to shoot out their tires and dance around in a mocking manner. :p The Seymour PD gets ticked whenever I do this, but I remind them that it is my tax money that pays their salaries and they back off. :rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Had a bum walking up to me really fast at a gas station once after dark. I was armed but I yelled out to stop once and when he didn't (hood up, hands in pockets) I hit him with the stobe beam on my nitecore extreme. ~220lumens and it did the trick. He immediately stopped, reeled backwards with his hands up and swore as he asked what I did to him. He was probably on something but it fully convinced me that at night a bright tac-flashlight is a force to be reckoned with. I don't care how big and tough you are, a sudden blinding light to the retinas when your night vision is adjusted is tough to take. Great story and glad nothing bad came of it.

Yep, years ago I worked security a summer job as a security guard in downtown Louisville. I carried a 4D cell mag light. Just shined the light in the eyes of the bums while I asked them to leave. Worked great.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You could have used a few shots of tracer rounds to bring some light to the situation.
    Im sure the response would have been very polite too. :D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    but I remind them that it is my tax money that pays their salaries and they back off. :rolleyes:

i hate that excuse. very lame and un-original. (i am paid by tax dollars, work for a private company *2nd job*, and taxes come out of both checks. i guess that means i pay my own check:dunno:)

back to on topic, i love the strobe on my light. never had to use it in a defensive manner though, but it will def. light up an area and then some.
    also does an s.o.s. signal as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i hate that excuse. very lame and un-original. (i am paid by tax dollars, work for a private company *2nd job*, and taxes come out of both checks. i guess that means i pay my own check:dunno:)

No worries, as I believe that entire post was written tongue-in-cheek. :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No worries, as I believe that entire post was written tongue-in-cheek. :yesway:

im over it either way, just trying my :twocents: in then leaving it be.

Yes! Did not mean to offend anybody. I put the :rolleyes: in to the post to signify my thoughts on an answer such as this, but I still apologize for any misunderstanding. The local PD is excellent and I have no complaints with their organization. I tried to send a PM to apologize to you personally but you have that feature turned off.

I promise I will punish myself by writing "I will not shoot out tires and be disrespectful to the PoPo" 100 times. ;)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yes! Did not mean to offend anybody. I put the :rolleyes: in to the post to signify my thoughts on an answer such as this, but I still apologize for any misunderstanding. The local PD is excellent and I have no complaints with their organization. I tried to send a PM to apologize to you personally but you have that feature turned off.

I promise I will punish myself by writing "I will not shoot out tires and be disrespectful to the PoPo" 100 times. ;)

you are fine! just simply stating my thoughts on that line. no worries!

ghille45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    afghanistan
    I rember in 98 I was in kenya guarding the embassy after it was bombed and this drunk was harrassing us at the front gate or what was left of it, and the kenyan cop asked to borrow my buddies mag lite, he then walked up and smashed the handle of it over the dudes head knocking him out and denting the mag light, no small feat... hahahaha... and then called his cop buddies to drag the guy off. I got a whole new respect for the big mag lites after that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :bat: :n00b: :stretcher: Wow. Hitting the guy that hard probably would have cracked his skull. Sure it didn't kill the guy? If not I bet somebody has to chew his food for him and change his diaper.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Some of the NEBO lights actually have an aggressive pattern around the light and are intended to be used as a weapon. I bought a few of the small ones on sale for sticking in drawers around the house and would not want to have one dug into my face!!!

Top Bottom