• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Skip to the italicized paragraph if this it too long for you....:)

I currently own a bevvy of surefires, pelicans, streamlight, insight, and blackhawk lights, plus a few other odds and ends. There is a large group of those that takes 3-volt CR123's, but I find myself getting more and more away from that battery.

That being the case, I am looking to replace all my house and car lights with AA lights. For approximately the last year I have been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 2AA, and have had a great experience with it; it is, therefore, my first choice. At a 40 dollar price it is hard to beat its durability and longevity.

My issue with the light, though, is the lack of a lanyard hole. The pocket clip is sufficient for daily use, and for all my "bag lights" I would not have a problem putting a small hose-clamp to tether to.

The question though, is does anyone have a better model light at a comparable price (maybe up to 60 or 80, but I will be buying several so...) that would out perform this one?
    Does anyone have any negative experiences with this light?
    Does anyone feel this plan is not sound?

I want a light that has a common battery, which given what I see when I walk into a gas station, walmart, or Rural King, is still not CR123, but mostly AA and AAA.

My intention at this point is to continue using CR123 based lights for my weapons, as I can stockpile what I feel is a worthwhile amount of them (and do not see enough quality AA powered weapon, lights). I do not foresee my weapon lights receiving more action than my handhelds unless continental U.S. is invaded and I'm personally called on to clear a city.

My final step of this plan is to begin looking for a piece of gear to bridge the gap between handheld lights and weapon ones. JohnnyTre recently switched to a 1" light holder with a quick release that works very well for a rifle and handgun, using a thumbs forward grip to activate it.
    If I could find either:
    A) a similar unit that would fit the narrower diameter of the ProTac 2AA or
    B) a similarly priced, AA powered LED light with the typical "tactical" light diameter of 1"
    I would have the capacity to use all my handheld AA lights as weapon lights should things escalate beyond what my CR123 stockpile is prepared for.

If anyone actually stuck that out, I appreciate the dedication and would value some input on all points.

Last edited:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    1. Yes, there is a better option for about the same price point as the Streamlight. The 4Sevens Quarks all have lanyard holes and also a clip. the AA^2 has a removable clip. These will out shine the steamlight protac by a fair bit. The Quark X lights are pushing about 260 lumens off two AA batteries and cost $45 at the moment. These will go back up to $65 once we run out of the stock we have.

Build quality is about the same as the Streamlight, and the 4sevens lights have a 10 year warranty.

Search Results: quark x aa^2

2. I don't know of any 1" diameter light that takes a AA battery. You would have to thicken up the tube walls to make that happen.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    1. Yes, there is a better option for about the same price point as the Streamlight. The 4Sevens Quarks all have lanyard holes and also a clip. the AA^2 has a removable clip. These will out shine the steamlight protac by a fair bit. The Quark X lights are pushing about 260 lumens off two AA batteries and cost $45 at the moment. These will go back up to $65 once we run out of the stock we have.

Build quality is about the same as the Streamlight, and the 4sevens lights have a 10 year warranty.

Search Results: quark x aa^2

2. I don't know of any 1" diameter light that takes a AA battery. You would have to thicken up the tube walls to make that happen.

Thank you for that input, I have never heard of Quark, but some googling shows positive reviews. I think the rotate to switch operation and the huge number of outputs is actually a turn off to me, though I should try one before I say that. Firm believer in K.I.S.S.

I have been thinking about trying some pvc tubing around the middle of the light to thicken the wall, just as an experiment.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    The tactical version is a little more simple. This is what I prefer because I like to have a high and a low easily accessible. The rest of the modes aren't important to me for edc use.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I have a Jetbeam ba20 that is working well for me. Two modes, low and high, with a click for constant on and light press for momentary on. Fairly inexpensive, good battery life, good output and easy to use.

Top Bottom