FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawful

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    The argument from law enforcement was that they do not arrest people who have concealed carry permits when a weapon peeks out the bottom of a shirt. Apparently they do now.

Florida law explicitly allows printing and unintentional (non-brandishing or non-threatening) reveal.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/790.053

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Really, hand them your permit, let them know you are carrying
    Florida is not a "must inform" state.
    He will ask you to hand him the weapon with two fingers
    Fail.
    when he is done with his job he will hand it back to you (unloaded) and tell you not to reload it until he has returned to his vehicle.
    Too bad. I'm reloading it before he leaves the window.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Really, hand them your permit, let them know you are carrying, an experienced police officer will not freak out. He will ask you to hand him the weapon with two fingers, and when he is done with his job he will hand it back to you (unloaded) and tell you not to reload it until he has returned to his vehicle.

An experienced officer will not have you you remove your weapon. He will conduct his business in a professional manner, and be on his way, with no mention of your firearm. There is NO reason for you to hand your weapon to him. NONE.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    An experienced officer will not have you you remove your weapon. He will conduct his business in a professional manner, and be on his way, with no mention of your firearm. There is NO reason for you to hand your weapon to him. NONE.

^THIS.

The safest place for that weapon to be is safely in the holster. Take it out in a public place and you run the risk of accidental discharge.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    ^THIS.

The safest place for that weapon to be is safely in the holster. Take it out in a public place and you run the risk of accidental discharge.

Exactly. The less you handle it, the safer everyone is. An experienced officer understands this. Unless you're acting aggressive toward the LEO, he has no reason to disarm you, and if he tries, demand a supervisor.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Stepping out of your car = "I'll shoot you in the F'ing back!"

I don't think so.

I don't care what you point to that the driver did in this scenario, NONE of it deserves the treatment he recieved. I have great respect for LEO's, this guy wasn't a LEO. He was a gigantic child in a police outfit. I am typically a very anti-lawsuit person, but this happened to me, I would let 'em fly!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    In Indiana it's best to just keep your permit handy but don't let them see it. Them knowing anything about even a possible firearm can only make things worse.

In MI you have to inform, same with OH so if you travel over the boarder some it may be better to show, but I don't in IN

This is imcorrect, I have never had a negative encounter during a traffic stop over something like this

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is imcorrect, I have never had a negative encounter during a traffic stop over something like this

You mean "yet".

Read INGO, far too many of us have had to deal with this abuse for obeying the law.

We need to work to strengthen the laws against these types of Heckler's Vetos.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Really, hand them your permit, let them know you are carrying, an experienced police officer will not freak out. He will ask you to hand him the weapon with two fingers, and when he is done with his job he will hand it back to you (unloaded) and tell you not to reload it until he has returned to his vehicle.

This is what normally happens

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Did anyone see in the tape where the driver told the cop I have a permit and the cop said I don't care and later in the tape the cop will ask the driver why he didn't say he has a permit ? Tunnel vision on the cops part along with all the cussing said the cop wasn't in control of anything.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    This is a great example of both parties failing to do their part. The guy getting out of his vehicle and swinging his wallet around like he did is asking for extra attention. That LEO looked like it was his first day on the job and video makes him look like a total tool who didn't know how to handle the situation. Swearing and threatening to shoot someone in the f'ing back like that should cost him his job as he just doesn't have the temperament to be a LEO imo.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    As I was watching the video the first time, it just caught my eye how he pulled his wallet out...it struck me as not being conservative, slow, purposeful, etc. Could just be me though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Everybody threatens me with the taser, but I never get it. I'm beginning to believe the taser is a lie.

At risk of a topicjack (I'd never do that, right?) . . .

. . . I've been at the Boone Co. range when the county guys were doing their taser certifications. I volunteered to have the clips put on me so I could feel what it was like, but they said no!

Now, who in their right mind would forego an opportunity to tase ME?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As I was watching the video the first time, it just caught my eye how he pulled his wallet out...it struck me as not being conservative, slow, purposeful, etc. Could just be me though.

It looks like the wallet was weighted on one side/end. When the driver pulled it out he did not have a good grip on it and from the momentum is almost got away from him.

I just don't see how this wallet flop is an indication of anything.

To me, if the driver did make a mistake it was getting out of the van. Getting out of the vehicle is a signal to LE that something is not right (suspended, HTV, dope under the seat, etc.) as the driver is taking to get away from something.

Even if the driver got out of the vehicle I fail to see him doing anything that would merit that treatment.

Top Bottom