First world problem - too many bathrooms!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    We have 3 full bathrooms in our home. It was great when the kids were still here, but they flew the coop years ago. Nowadays, my Sweetie gets worked up that the upstairs toilet will evaporate and leave deposits behind, because it is not used enough.

Short of going upstairs on a weekly/monthly basis to use the pot, are there any suggestions for combating this situation? Sweetie suggested turning off the water to the toilet, which I think would work, but then I have wonderings if the water will leave the trap and let sewer smells out. We are on a septic system, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, y'all!

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    We use vegetable oil in unused patient rooms to slow down the evaporation rate. Smell becomes a real issue when you have several dried out toilets concentrated in one area. Just pour in enough to get a thin film across the water and you're good to go for awhile.
    ^^THIS^^
    Also works for floor drains and sink/shower drains in unused rooms. Just a teaspoon or so down the drain and it floats on the water keeping it from evaporating.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    We use vegetable oil in unused patient rooms to slow down the evaporation rate. Smell becomes a real issue when you have several dried out toilets concentrated in one area. Just pour in enough to get a thin film across the water and you're good to go for awhile.
    I have never heard this trick before. Oil film to put a barrier between water and atmosphere to slow evaporation... that's pretty darn slick.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would just use it once in awhile. We have three bathrooms also and just the two of us. It isn't that tough to use the less used one enough to keep the traps from drying out.

We also be sure to run the sinks and if a long time goes by, the tub/shower also.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wow, i can't imagine the cost of vegetable oil we've gone through in the last year then

Top Bottom