First time OWB carry w/ G17 - does it ever get more comfortable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Like I mentioned in a separate thread a won a MGM target so I took it to a friends house to try it out. I decided to strap my G17 OWB in my Glock sport holster and wear it for the entire trip. I did the obligatory walk through Wal-mart and then Rural King to grab some ammo and all the stories I read were correct, nobody had a freaking clue I was carrying OWB with just t-shirt pulled over it.

Anyways, man the 17 was crazy uncomfortable on my hip around 3 o'clock in the glock holster while in the car. Is the holster, the location, or just the new factor here? I did tuck the seat belt behind the gun since I had read many folks comment that if they were ever to be in a crash they really didn't want the gun digging into them via the seat belt.

thoughts?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    3:30 works for me..

I carry all three sizes of med frame Glocks IWB in a CrossBreed Super tuck..

For me, I carry slightly back from 3:00 for the most comfort. I DO carry a G-19 most of the time-G-26 second-G-17 third.

Yes, they WILL have some discomfort --There is NO rule that they should be comfortable.

For me, I feel MORE out of place when I do NOT have my CrossBreed on...Bill.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    forgot to mention, I do have a belt, a bigfoot gunbelt w/ steel reinforcement. Maybe not the best out there but seems to fit great and I don't notice any sagging w/ the belt.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    You think a 17s bad, you oughta try a 1911 or K-frame. Honestly, sink some money into a quality holster and belt. You'll fill a box trying to find the right one though...we all have.

I've heard that before, guess that's why I started w/ a fairly inexpensive glock sport holster that seemed to have decent comments.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I carry all three sizes of med frame Glocks IWB in a CrossBreed Super tuck..

For me, I carry slightly back from 3:00 for the most comfort. I DO carry a G-19 most of the time-G-26 second-G-17 third.

Thanks, I'll have to look into some CrossBreed holsters. I had given them a quick look when i bought my IWB alien gear holster for my g42. but will need to look a little closer now that I have a much larger gun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If carrying is new to you then it's something that you'll have to get used to. When I got married my wedding band was the first piece of jewelry I'd every had on my fingers. It bugged the crap out of me for weeks. Now 13yrs later I don't even notice it being on my finger. Same with a carry piece. I've been carrying for so long now that if I don't have it then it feels foreign, kinda like leaving the house without your wallet.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Sometimes a quality leather rig, like Galco or DeSantis may also be the ticket for OWB. No not cheap, but fit gun through wet moulding, and belt loops. Forget the retention strap if a CCW, unless you employed by a LE Agency. Some LE's require a retention, some ?
    Crossbreed does make a quality item, seems like a lot of leather behind the holster. I sometimes carry a 1911 in a similar rig, just heavy gun. Glocks and S&W's seem to be lighter to CCW. Good luck.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Interesting, I had seen them before but had completely skipped over them due to having the retention strap. I'll give 'em a second look. thanks.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's nothing worse in the carry world than a belt and holster that don't secure your carry weapon properly.
    I use a BladeTech ? belt with a Raven Concealment owb holster.
    I don't even know I'm wearing a gun. I have to constantly feel for my gun to make sure it's in the holster.
    I've had to turn the car around a few times to go back and get my carry weapon.
    I've got the same Glock Sport holster and it's not a good holster. Better than an Uncle Mikes maybe but nothing I would ever consider carrying with.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    thanks guys, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I don't want to just throw money at a problem but if the current holster is never really gonna work, then I'll do a little more research.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just my 2cents worth but I recently bought 2 holsters from alien gear one is a cloak tuck 3.0 IWB and the other is a cloak slide OWB. I have never worn a cross breed for comparison but I really like the cloak tuck 3.0 IWB..the neoprene backing gives great comfort even when seated in the car for long periods and conceals very nicely. I carry an M&P with comfort

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I gave a tuff time finding something to carry comfortably. Don't really wear loose baggy stuff...so an iwb holster for a 9mm seems tight and always in the way. I'm thinking I might need to try one of the integrated shirt holsters....but seems will be hot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...all the stories I read were correct, nobody had a freaking clue I was carrying OWB with just t-shirt pulled over it.

Alternately, you didn't notice people noticing. I'm always a bit curious about this. What do you expect people to do if they notice?

Anywho, Bladetech makes a pretty good plastic holster. I'm real partial to my Red Nichols leather, but the price isn't for everyone.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Alternately, you didn't notice people noticing. I'm always a bit curious about this. What do you expect people to do if they notice?

Anywho, Bladetech makes a pretty good plastic holster. I'm real partial to my Red Nichols leather, but the price isn't for everyone.

This here.....I was sitting in a Mexican restaurant last night with family and noticed a guy with his wife and kid come in. He was pulling on his shirt and it was obvious to the trained eye he was carrying in an owb holster. Most would have thought it to be a large cell phone. But I knew better

Top Bottom