• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I open carry. When I got my license to carry, I carried concealed for about the first year. I started carrying open about six months ago. Every time I went into the bank, it was cold outside, so I wore a coat, thus concealing my handgun. Today was the first time I actually carried open into my bank. There is always a police officer just inside the door, and a know a couple of them. I walked in, and saw a different officer sitting there. He looked at me, scanned me up and down, and I said, "Hi." He replied, "Hey," and went back to looking at his phone. When I got to the teller, there was a woman with two young boys next to me. I heard them whispering about my gun. I'm used to kids saying things like that.

All in all, it was a good experience.

Some background info; I live in South Bend, Indiana. I bank at Teacher's Credit Union. I carry a Sig Sauer P226 (gasp! I can't believe that!) in 9mm in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and two spare 18 round mags in an iTac mag pouch.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    The two boys were whispering how lucky you were, that there were no 5 yr old girls in the bank that could take your gun.
    Glad to hear it went well.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    Do different businesses have different policies about carrying a firearm? I've always wondered about someone carrying in a bank. I've never seen anyone personally do it.

superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Please answer the above question, I was under the assumption that they would hit the panic button and I would get tazed from behind if I carried in a bank. :)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Glad to hear of your normal treatment (as it should be). :yesway:

Welcome to INGO.

Do different businesses have different policies about carrying a firearm? I've always wondered about someone carrying in a bank. I've never seen anyone personally do it.

I've heard of a few banks that maintain no guns policies, but most don't.

Carrying in a bank is the same as carrying anywhere else.

oldschoolevo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    ANDERSON
    glad to hear you had a good exsperence, i conceal. and i have had a few times like my jack is up ive had a officer ask me to make sure i keep my jacket over it. and i ask him why and he said you dont have to but it just keep people from calling in and say there is a guy walking around with a gun, hell myself i would rather see it that way you know who is packing.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    glad to hear you had a good exsperence, i conceal. and i have had a few times like my jack is up ive had a officer ask me to make sure i keep my jacket over it. and i ask him why and he said you dont have to but it just keep people from calling in and say there is a guy walking around with a gun, hell myself i would rather see it that way you know who is packing.

I'd rather the police get called and the people get educated than people freak out every time they see a gun sticking out of a jacket. More OC I says.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Glad to hear you had a good experiance.

I also somtimes open carry a Sig P226 although mine is in .40

Ive never had a problem at my bank, but most of the women that work there have known me and my family for my entire life.

Carrtech1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't think I have ever open carried into my bank. If I remember right, I think my bank has a No Firearms sign on the glass door when walking in. Im not to sure though!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    conceal and carry cus the bad guy in line behind you just made a change in plans.. (why use my gun when this guy has one).. it just makes things less complicated.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    depending on how "thickheaded" the clerks and guards were, bunches of scenarios. most likely asking you to leave and return without the package. (best scenario).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    conceal and carry cus the bad guy in line behind you just made a change in plans.. (why use my gun when this guy has one).. it just makes things less complicated.

I agree that the bad guy in line will probably change his plans if he sees someone carrying, but it would probably be more along these lines:

(Why use my gun now when this guy in front of me has one? He'll be leaving in a minute and that will make my planned robbery much safer for me. I mean, if wanted primarily to kill people rather than just get some money and get away, I'd have gone to a school or maybe a mall to do it.)

Concealing your carry from view may make the possibility of minor nuisances (like being asked to leave a place) less complicated, but at the same time, it will never have an impact to directly deter or prevent an actual threat to you from happening.

:twocents:

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    I agree that the bad guy in line will probably change his plans if he sees someone carrying, but it would probably be more along these lines:

(Why use my gun now when this guy in front of me has one? He'll be leaving in a minute and that will make my planned robbery much safer for me. I mean, if wanted primarily to kill people rather than just get some money and get away, I'd have gone to a school or maybe a mall to do it.)

Concealing your carry from view may make the possibility of minor nuisances (like being asked to leave a place) less complicated, but at the same time, it will never have an impact to directly deter or prevent an actual threat to you from happening.

:twocents:
    I agree here unless the BG plans are to kill a bunch of people. Now you are target #1. You are the only one who can stop him and he knows it.

Top Bottom