• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    finally got to shoot my new pt145 pro today had some minor issues a few rounds had issues feeding into chamber but i kinda wrote that off to cheap ammo (wolf) and as i could actually hit the target(which surprised me) i couldn't hit any one area consistently i was all over the target. i have the heinie sights (one white dot up front and one white dot in the back) and was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions on how i should properly line the sight up

crazyboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    south side indianapolis
    three dots across evenly. Maybe front dot little higher or lower depending on where you are hitting. But i would suggest being new to handguns, try to find a course that would go threw handling shooting stance grip etc. Not saying you cant handle it but it would help with a lot of questions you would have too. Nothing better then someone to show you and explain it at the same time your are shooting some learn better by sight and doing it then just explanation.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd guess offhand (and please don't take this as an insult) that you haven't learned how to shoot yet. If this is the first time you've ever shot a "real" firearm, you probably have plenty to learn..

While you're new and don't have horribly bad habits to correct, I'd advise a basic training class to learn the fundamentals of shooting. If you post your general location, I'm sure somebody could help set you up..

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Sounds to me like he has the "straight eight" sights with just 2 white dots, I have not had much luck with these as I would assume they are supoosed to resemble the number 8 when lining them up. Practice, practice, practice!!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, the "heine 8" sights. They're supposed to look like the number "8" when lined up.

The level of overlap will change, though, with different target distances/bullet weights...

The EASIEST way to improve is for you to "dry fire" your weapon. If you're going to do this, you must MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that there isn't ANY live ammunition anywhere around. Put it in another room. Check your weapon's chamber. Check it again. Then again.

When you are absolutely positively 100% sure there isn't ANY ammo in the gun/mags, then you can load a practice round/snap cap. Not 100% necessary with modern firearms, but can't hurt.

Once THAT has been done; you then proceed to squeeze the trigger then re-cock. Squeeze - re-cock.

For a test of how steady your hands are, blance a dime on the top of your firearm. Keep it up there through your trigger pull. If the time falls off...you're not steady enough and your rounds will be all over the place.

I'm NO expert nor am I any kind of trainer, but this'll get you started.

-J-

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    It was my first time to the range so i went as a guest with someone one else to check it out. and they do offer all sorts of beginner classes and even some home defense classes and stuff like that that i am really interested in. so will defenatly have to check those classes out :rockwoot:

Volunteer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indy Castleton
    After learning the basic rules of safety, a few tips on handling from an experienced shooter there is no substitute for lots and lots of practice. Safety always comes first and foremost. When I read about some of the tragedies that result from silly gun handling I can't help thinking someone forgot the first and basic rules of gun safety.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire!

Good place to start

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4YpBdtUBaI]YouTube - Pistol Shooting Stances : Learn the Proper Arm & Hand Positioning for Pistol Shooting[/ame]

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    You'll have to visit YouTube to see that one, but as a general rule..

There's TONS of great shooting videos on YouTube. There are also plenty that are absolutely horrible. Watch, but watch with a careful eye..

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I think with Straight-8's you are supposed to center the dots over one another while maintaining a FLAT top across the rear and front sights. Do not raise and lower the dots just to get them to touch or overlap etc. It's still important to have the correct height front blade and this is why...

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    First off I would like to say congratulations on your first gun purchase, and another +1 for getting a PT145 as it was my first. It's a great gun, I've never had any problems with any ammo I have shot but the only stuff I shoot is WWB and Gold Sabres. I absolutely hate the Heine 8 sights, but I haven't come across any others to replace them with.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i havn't come across anything to replace anything on this gun. and i think my all my ftf was the same mag so it might have something to do with the mag not sure. deffenatily gonna have to fins something with cheaper ammo to practice with though

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    with the hieine sights u need to maintain a straight like across the sights, the only difference is that you need to cover the object you are shooting at with the front dot. many people have issues with this gun shooting 10-12 inches low. this is why.....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    there is no substitute for lots and lots of practice.

I will have to respectfully disagree with this.

Your priority should be lots and lots of training, especially since you are new to the world of handguns. Practice is what you do on your own time with the techniques you learned in training.

Lots and lots of un-trained practice will only ingrain bad habits that will make it more difficult to learn how to shoot properly.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The pt145 is a nice gun, maybe (IMHO) a bold step for a "first gun". The heine sights are definately something to get used too . But just, train.........practice...... clean........repeat. But always be safe..........and enjoy!

Top Bottom