• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I can see tall buildings!
    I bought my first shotgun back in May. Maverick 88. Haven’t shot much but it was budget friendly and seemed like a good entry level gun.
    Thanks for the reply! It's hard to beat the price (even now) on the Mavericks with their track record. I did a lot of looking and strongly considered the Maverick, but went with a 500 combo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mossys are great. Ive got 3. (though 2 are from an inheritance) Love them. Yeah they rattle, but they just work. A very well built, utilitarian shotgun.

My favorite is the first I ever shot. A Model 600. A relatively obscure version with a cool choke system that uses a collar you turn by hand to change the choke, instead of interchangeable choke tubes.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Congrats! My 1st Shotgun was also a Mossberg-a Long time ago. 20ga Pump w/Select-a-Choke. Still have it & still bust a Clay bird with it, from time to time! JM was Absolutely Correct about the Rattle. LOL

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Never had my Mossberg not go bing if I did my part. I have both the Mossberg 500A and older Remington 870, both will kill deer and just work. I like the controls better on the 500. They both rattle, both have been used by military and police and were cheap enough for most first time buyers to buy tell stupid hit the people.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Congratulations on your new gun. It will give you a lot of good fun,

I bought a good used "rattly" Mossberg in the early 70's. It has been on many bird hunting trips, a few deer hunting trips, lots of recreational shooting. I even shot trap leagues with it for a while. It has NEVER failed. Other than water blown out and re oiled after hunting, it has never needed maintenance. I even dropped it out of a boat that was hung up in a marsh once.

The day I got it some guys made fun of me because "it sounds like it is broken when you shake it" Yep, it does, and it still sounds broken, but it never fails. I bought a second one that came with a rifled slug barrel 8 or 10 years ago. It rattles too, and has never failed. Enjoy it for what it is and don't let anyone flapping their jaws take the fun out of it.

bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I can see tall buildings!
    Congratulations on your new gun. It will give you a lot of good fun,

I bought a good used "rattly" Mossberg in the early 70's. It has been on many bird hunting trips, a few deer hunting trips, lots of recreational shooting. I even shot trap leagues with it for a while. It has NEVER failed. Other than water blown out and re oiled after hunting, it has never needed maintenance. I even dropped it out of a boat that was hung up in a marsh once.

The day I got it some guys made fun of me because "it sounds like it is broken when you shake it" Yep, it does, and it still sounds broken, but it never fails. I bought a second one that came with a rifled slug barrel 8 or 10 years ago. It rattles too, and has never failed. Enjoy it for what it is and don't let anyone flapping their jaws take the fun out of it.
    Thank you "Leo" for the reassurance! I'm still what I would consider very new to the gun world. In nearly going blind with reading and watching reviews, I'm already aware that guns aren't really any different than truck brands, party affiliation, sports teams or anything that can be divisive for whatever reason, whether warranted or not, guys (and gals) are gonna chirp. And that's okay. Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes it's ridiculous. Sometimes necessary, sometimes not. I try to stay as even kiel as possible at all times. This forum can be a great tool for educational purposes, fixing problems and real life experiences to learn from. Sometimes it's entertainment for people. But like tools and entertainment, sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. I'm sorry! I kinda went off on tangent there. lol!

I have a Taurus pistol that has rattly magazines and it drives me crazy! Yet the Mossberg rattle doesn't bother me at all. Weird! Lol

Thanks again for sharing your input and experiences! I'm definitely looking forward to the shooting fun! Have a good one!

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Good luck with your new shotgun. I hope you learn to enjoy it despite the naysayers.

Just for the record I had two of those old rattley Mossbergs that I bought back in the 70s. They were both slug barrels with sights. One was an 18 " barrel and the other was a 24" barrel. (I think)

I got rid of both of those old rattle guns...........I gave one to each of my sons-in-law. Ha, ha, ha! Then I ran over to Eagle Creek Firearms (no longer there) and bought a new Mossberg, 20", 8 round with black furniture.

What can I say! Those old rattley things have gone band every time I have ask them to.

Sport gun, nah. It sits in the corner near the bed all night long. :)

Oh, and that crappy taurus that drives you nuts? just send it too me, you won't have to listen to it rattle any more. :)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Mossberg makes a good durable product, it has for many years. The only thing I have against them is the lack of polishing in the bore and the way they 'force' the shot.

If you look down the barrel it is rough and has a forcing cone at the very end. On the other hand, if you look down a Winchester Model 12, the bore is a mirror and the forcing starts from the time the shot starts moving until it leaves the end of the barrel.

Both go 'boom' but my experiences tell me there are better patterning guns out there that some day you might want to explore.

Welcome, you are now officially in the rabbit hole of shotgun ownership!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Great choice on shotgun. I've owned and carried a Moss 500A for Security details, LEO Patrol Car carry, Home Defense. Mine have always rattled, but shot well and dependable.
    Well done! Shoot it a bit to pattern your shells, and even blast a few water bottles.

Keep it close to your shoulder to control. 12 ga is no slouch. Deer slugs really recoil.
    Lots of extras for Mossberg shotguns.

I like a sling, extra round sidesaddle or stock butt cuff, and you could add a tactical light pretty easy. There is a Hi Viz clamp on front sight to help beyond the standard front bead. I put a drop of silicone under mine to secure it, Rock solid now.

Good luck, enjoy.

Reactions: Leo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom