• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    looking for some advice on a first shotgun for my 13 year old son. This will be used primarily for clays with an occasional upland bird hunt. He is on the smaller side 4'11" and 90 pounds.

what we are looking at is 20 GA youth models
    the 3 models he likes are

Remington 870 express Youth
    Mossberg 500 Bantam
    Weatherby PA-08 Upland youth

Looking for any thoughts or concerns from these models or any other models to look into want to say under the $500

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have experience with the Mossberg. My father bought me a 20ga about that same age. I had it about 20 years. Until the end, it ran perfectly with NO maintenance and with total neglect. I never cleaned or oiled that gun in 20 years. At the end, it was in bad shape, but totally due to my fault. Rust and crap allover inside. Once I learned how to properly maintain firearms, I tried to dismantle the gun to clean it up. But several internal parts were in very bad shape. Traded it for a new NEF Pardner Pump. But as badly as it was treated, it never failed to feed, fire, extract or eject a shell. To date, it still was the most reliable firearm I have owned.

My dad taught me safety rules and how to shoot, but he never did teach me how to properly maintain a firearm. That is one minor mistake I have already addressed with my son. It is part of what I call the triangle of firearms ownership...safety, technique in shooting, maintenance. (I'm not sure if I made that up or heard it somewhere, but I'm running with it for my son.)

Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    we got a long standing rule around my house you shoot it you clean it. after the first couple of trips to the range and dad spending hours cleaning the guns I got tired of it and decided It was time they learn the maintenance side off it too.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    i would go with the mossberg personally. i purchased a 500 and have not had a single issue. my uncles first shotgun was purchased for him when he was 13(mossberg). 28 years later he still hunts with it.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    You may want to (re)consider a full-size shotgun in 12-gauge. 11 years-old will grow into a teenager soon, so he'll grow into a full-size soon also. Whatever you/he choose, be sure it fits well.

12-gauge shells handle more shot than the equivalent 20-gauge, meaning more hits on clays and doves, meaning more FUN! Recoil can be managed using various loads.

:twocents:

ol' poke (I love my 870!)

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    You may want to (re)consider a full-size shotgun in 12-gauge. 11 years-old will grow into a teenager soon, so he'll grow into a full-size soon also. Whatever you/he choose, be sure it fits well.

12-gauge shells handle more shot than the equivalent 20-gauge, meaning more hits on clays and doves, meaning more FUN! Recoil can be managed using various loads.

:twocents:

ol' poke (I love my 870!)
    :+1:

also surprisingly 12guages kick less when shooting sporting loads than a 20Gauge will.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    For my first shotgun my dad got me a full size mossberg and bought a spare buttstock for it that he could cut down to my size. Then he added a thicker base pad as I grew into it. Now I still have my first shotgun with the original stock on it and still use it today. I have the other stock in a box so I can use it if I ever have kids.

ccolip2189

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    New Palestine
    my dad gave me a single shot nef 20 guage shot gun to be honest i used it once i was around 12 when he gave it to me once he saw me use it he realized i was to big for a youth model. what i am trying to get at is go ahead and get him a full sized gun it will pay off in the long run..... remy 870 all the way have two and love them

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    In my opinion you can't beat the value of a Mossberg 500. I bought a 12 Ga for my youngest son more than 20 years ago. It is one of his favorite guns still, (among the 70+ we have collected together). As a side note a few years ago we belonged to the Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol club, we were at the trap range talking to one of the regular shooters - he was using a very fancy Benelli 12 ga worth over a grand at the time. My son remarked that he might not have much chance in the contests as he only used the 500. The guy laughed and said right, that the current champion (and also a place holder in the state) used a Mossberg 500.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I would look real hard at the regular 870 20ga and put a youth stock on it.(I assume it fits?) My logic is that you can put the full size stock back on when it fits your son. Also, he isnt stuck with the short barrel that comes standard on the youth model as he grows. Thats a shotgun he can enjoy the rest of his life.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't think you can go wrong with a Mossberg 500, Own one, (also have a Winchester) bought one for my youngest son over 20 years ago. He still loves the gun and it has never caused any problems.

indianashooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Mossberg 500 combo in 12ga, best value check at wally world. He will grow into it quickly. There are a lot more load options available in 12ga and it's cheaper. Mine is pushing 30 and the only problem so far is, the button in the feeder tube sticks occasionally. I'm pretty shure it would quit if I would clean it.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I started my grandson with a Remington 1100 express youth in 20 ga when he was 11 years old, shooting trap at Atterbury. In a few months he was shooting in the high 20's. When it was time to upgrade I had no problem selling the shotgun.

Dave

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Any particular reason why you're sticking with pumps only? A gas operated semi would be more forgiving with the recoil and you could definitely find one for under 500.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    we got a long standing rule around my house you shoot it you clean it. after the first couple of trips to the range and dad spending hours cleaning the guns I got tired of it and decided It was time they learn the maintenance side off it too.

Good for you Mglii, I just wish my girls would help clean the guns after shooting but I would rather do the cleaning than not let them have the experience of shooting.
    Just a suggestion try looking through these links.
    Mossberg & Sons | Mossberg 500 Super Bantam
    or
    Mossberg & Sons | 75770
    I shoot Mossbergs so I'm a little predigest but I hear that the Remington is a good gun too.

ntm168

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    My first gun was a full size single shot 20ga H&R. But the first gun I bought on my own was a 870 wingmaster LW in 20ga, absolutely loved the gun. Later on I bought another wingmaster just because they shoot so well. The one I owned was full size, and I was able to shoot it fine around the age of 10 especially with it being the LW and had no issues with recoil either. And I still love shooting it today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    looking for some advice on a first shotgun for my 13 year old son. This will be used primarily for clays with an occasional upland bird hunt. He is on the smaller side 4'11" and 90 pounds.

what we are looking at is 20 GA youth models
    the 3 models he likes are

Remington 870 express Youth
    Mossberg 500 Bantam
    Weatherby PA-08 Upland youth

Looking for any thoughts or concerns from these models or any other models to look into want to say under the $500
    There's what looks to be a nice youth model 1300 Winchester with 3 choke tubes in the classifieds. Need some more quality posts to get there, but they are around. About all the ones on your list are all good choices as well though. If anything I'd favor the 870 or the 500 for the money.

Top Bottom